ferrari 488 gt3 Bathurst

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lost Sheltie
  • 23 comments
  • 4,118 views
Messages
765
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Has anybody tried driving this thing around Bathurst?

I tried it in the manufacturers cup today, and **** me I was bad. Barely got below 2:10 and crashed so many times it was only funny to everyone else.
 
The 458 Gr4 is an easy car to drive, the 458 Gr3 however you have to get used to exiting corners with it, sometimes having CSA turned on doesn't even help. However the 458 Gr3 isn't even nearly as bad as the Hurcan Gr3 is, good luck with driving that (and see why almost no one drives it).

Speaking of the 488, wish GTS had the 488, maybe one day. It's a marvelous car to drive in iRacing and Assetto Corsa.
 
Orma Snow drove Bathurst in a 2.00.6 in the 458 gr.3 BOP on, RH tires yadda yadda.
Granted he is one of the best drivers in the Americas.
 
Yeah, meant the 458. I think I was a little punch drunk from hitting all those walls.
Just the first time in the game that I have felt a car was completely undriveable.

When I win the lottery I am bypassing the Ferrari and getting a Mclaren :)
 
I drive it sometimes when i´m in the mood. To me its the fastest car when you get it right, but I rarely do..:D
 
I won it Sunday and only tried it today on the Brands track.
It’s nervous!
I am used to the Porsche.
But I managed a good qualifying, 1:24.65 with it.
It’s a fun car to drive but very different from the Ferraris on PC2
 

Try it again, this time with a Porsche
I think it's your skill that carried the McLaren :P
I have a personal leaderboard of Gr. 3 cars around Nurb GP and the McLaren is among the slowest. I really love McLaren and I even gave it more tries than the others because I believed that I can get at least a low 1:57
But alas...
 

Attachments

  • 20180116_190716_HDR.jpg
    20180116_190716_HDR.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 67
Try it again, this time with a Porsche
I think it's your skill that carried the McLaren :p
I have a personal leaderboard of Gr. 3 cars around Nurb GP and the McLaren is among the slowest. I really love McLaren and I even gave it more tries than the others because I believed that I can get at least a low 1:57
But alas...

I think this is a fallacy.
I think the meta of the GT3 cars at the moment is that the 911 is the fastest. But I think this is just the beta at the moment.

I enjoyed the 911 when I first started exploring the GT3 cars. But moved to the AMG because of the way it was easy to handle and catch (not to mention the visual steering input lag they patched in making the 911 horrible in cockpit). I tired all the cars and found the AMG to be the best suited to me.

This weekend I did a livery for my Audi GT3 and had a play with it, found myself going 1+ second quicker than in the AMG off the bat. A car I struggled with I was now easily quicker than I was prior. This isn't because the Audi is 1+ second a lap faster, but just that I've become better and it suits my style of driving more.


This is a long-winded way of saying that I don't think any 1 GT3 car is the fastest at the moment, which for me, makes the GT3 category the best at the moment. The only difference between the cars is how they handle and how the deliver their speed, which is how it should be.
 
Try it again, this time with a Porsche
I think it's your skill that carried the McLaren :p
I have a personal leaderboard of Gr. 3 cars around Nurb GP and the McLaren is among the slowest. I really love McLaren and I even gave it more tries than the others because I believed that I can get at least a low 1:57
But alas...

If only it was me :D

I agree, Porsche is my favourite and im faster in it.
I also find Mclaren slow.
 
I think this is a fallacy.
I think the meta of the GT3 cars at the moment is that the 911 is the fastest. But I think this is just the beta at the moment.

I enjoyed the 911 when I first started exploring the GT3 cars. But moved to the AMG because of the way it was easy to handle and catch (not to mention the visual steering input lag they patched in making the 911 horrible in cockpit). I tired all the cars and found the AMG to be the best suited to me.

This weekend I did a livery for my Audi GT3 and had a play with it, found myself going 1+ second quicker than in the AMG off the bat. A car I struggled with I was now easily quicker than I was prior. This isn't because the Audi is 1+ second a lap faster, but just that I've become better and it suits my style of driving more.


This is a long-winded way of saying that I don't think any 1 GT3 car is the fastest at the moment, which for me, makes the GT3 category the best at the moment. The only difference between the cars is how they handle and how the deliver their speed, which is how it should be.
I just said Porsche because it's the first competitive car that came out of my mouth (fingers) :O but it does say something

The AMG is just as quick as the 911; I haven't officually tested it yet on that leaderboard but I can only pull off about the same times as the AMG. And if anything the AMG is more consistent at getting 1:56 than the Porsche; my race pace on the latter is a low-mid 1:57
For me Gr. 3 have a certain set of cars that are competitive (WRX, AMG, 458 and the likes), others are situational (GTR, SLS, Mustang), and some that, well, at least with my driving style, are uncompetitive (Lancer :'( I love that car, and also the McLaren)
But hey! The fact that no one car is dominating is a big step forward :)

Speaking of 458, I just tested both the McLaren and 458 at Bathurst OP. The 458 is undoubtedly slippery, but I found that late (and of course, smooth) application of the throttle seems to work best. Coasting is also your friend :) I got a 2:03 in the 458 :cheers:
 
Yesterday in the Brands Hatch Gr3 I qualified quite well with my go-to car, the Vantage V12. However, once the tyres go it's a bit of a pig for understeer especially at Brands. My best finish in 2 races was 8th. I then switched to the 458 but couldn't get near my quali time. However, after adjusting brake balance on it I found it to be a very predictable and consistent car and as a result I went from 16th to 3rd. It's all in the braking and corner exits. Get it smooth and it's a fantastic car with one of the best soundtracks in the game!
As for the Mclarens, I think the Gr3 car is very stable but ultimately just too slow to be competitive. The Gr4 however is a hidden gem. That's now my go-to Gr4 car without failure. (The Vantage V8 runs a close 2nd though!)
 
Orma Snow drove Bathurst in a 2.00.6 in the 458 gr.3 BOP on, RH tires yadda yadda.
Granted he is one of the best drivers in the Americas.
You sure ? With fixed setup ? A 2:01.366 was fastest on the EU leaderboard the other day.
 
You sure ? With fixed setup ? A 2:01.366 was fastest on the EU leaderboard the other day.
Yep, positive.
He also put a 2.00.6 down in the Viper yesterday.
Here is the video.


If you skip to 44:50 into the video - you'll see him put a 2.00.8 down while he's in the FIA race (lap 3).

I would say he's the fastest driver in the Americas - sometimes he struggles being consistent, but he is ridiculously good at Bathurst - I've seen nobody else below the 2.01 mark and he's done 2.00.6 in 2 different cars now (Ferrari and now Viper).
 
Yep, positive.
He also put a 2.00.6 down in the Viper yesterday.
Here is the video.


If you skip to 44:50 into the video - you'll see him put a 2.00.8 down while he's in the FIA race (lap 3).

I would say he's the fastest driver in the Americas - sometimes he struggles being consistent, but he is ridiculously good at Bathurst - I've seen nobody else below the 2.01 mark and he's done 2.00.6 in 2 different cars now (Ferrari and now Viper).

Wow thats insane, dont think ive seen sub 2:01 either.
 
Wow thats insane, dont think ive seen sub 2:01 either.
Yeah, I think it's the speed he manages to carry around the last left turn on the downhill that makes the biggest difference - he basically slides the car around that corner.
 
Man I can't get any better than 2:07 on that track, that's crazy fast. Did get a high 2:06 while following 1st place car during the FIA race yesterday.


I have to try going straight through the tight S (at 1:15) with the McLaren, the McLaren always spins out for me going through that spot.
 
Got a 2.03.2 in a GTR in the pitch dark yesterday in a Lobby, RH tyres :)
 
Man I can't get any better than 2:07 on that track, that's crazy fast. Did get a high 2:06 while following 1st place car during the FIA race yesterday.


I have to try going straight through the tight S (at 1:15) with the McLaren, the McLaren always spins out for me going through that spot.

I've found the big areas where I made up time (used to be 2.06, now I'm 2.04) are getting a good exit from turn 1 (checkpoint 1 should be 19.1 or under), use the slight bank on the inside of turn 2 to your advantage, get good at climbing the mountain at speed and realizing you can carry so much speed over the top of the mountain (seriously watch how the top times brake going down and emulate).
Then getting a good exit on the final left of the downhill.

It's cool how easily the seconds tick off, but you need to practice.
 
Back