• 19 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
auMXvhx.png
Ferrari F40 LM '89
auMXvhx.png

814989.jpg

To celebrate the manufacturer's 40th anniversary, Ferrari launched the 'F40' in 1987. Both visually and technically the F40 was a clear development of the GTO Evoluzione. The V8 engine was increased in size slightly and developed 478 bhp in stock form, but a performance package boosting power to over 700 hp was also available. With the GTO it shared the spartan construction, resulting in an impressive kerb weight of 1100 kg; 350 kg lighter than the closest competition, the Porsche 959. With an already impressive power to weight ratio, there was little surprise when Michelotto was again commissioned to turn Ferrari's latest offering into a racer, this time for the track.

Michelotto's work resulted in the F40 LM, which first took to track for testing late in 1988. Interestingly much of the speculation before the F40's launch suggested that it would be called 'Le Mans', which now proved to be partly right. The differences between the road and racing cars were subtle with the carbon fibre splitter, rear diffusers and adjustable rear wing as the most obvious. Furthermore the pop-up headlights were replaced by two big perspex covered units and additional NACA-ducts hinted at an increased cooling capacity. A new engine management system and increased compression saw the power increased to at least 720 hp, but for qualifying the boost could be increased to yield in excess of 900 hp. The interior was stripped even further and the dashboard was replaced by a state of the art digital setup.

Like many of the F40 LMs, chassis 88522 was sold immediately to a private collector; in this case cartoonist Albert Uderzo of Asterix fame. He used the car several times in private track sessions before he sold it in 1993. One of the later owners had Jacky Ickx drive it on the Nürburgring Grand Prix track in 1998. The multiple Le Mans winner clocked a time considerably faster than the contemporary Formula 1 racers also present. It is seen here at the Bonhams' Gstaad Ferrari Auction in 2005, making its second appearance at the exclusive sale after it was offered in 1998. A Far East collector jumped on the rare opportunity to obtain one of the F40 LMs and coughed up CHF 844,665 or $654,615 USD to take ownership of CN.88522.

Specs:
LM.png

768375.jpg

Ferrari-F40-LM-Competizione-2.jpg

574.jpg

This thread is specifically for chassis number 88522, the only F40 LM that doesn't wear any kind of livery. This way I can use the car to bypass the "no race cars!" rules in some online cruising lobbies.

If you want this car with a livery then click here.

This thread is specifically for chassis number 88522, the only F40 LM that doesn't wear any kind of livery. This way I can use the car to bypass the "no race cars!" rules in some online cruising lobbies.

Incorrect. A no livery version of a race car will be treated as a base model version of the race car.

💡

A no livery version of a race car will be treated as a base model version of the race car.
Incorrect, a base model version of a race car have some Gran Turismo® stickers on it and that blank square/circle to put a racer number in, this car doesn't have these. :P

It's unlikely for the F40 LM to get a base model, PDI already added some Ferrari's with specific chassis numbers. The 250 GTO is the best example, CN.3729GT uses a livery while other examples of this same car don't, you don't see it labeled either as "race car" or "base model" do you? :sly:

If this hasn't already been suggested... I bet five bucks this has been suggested, along with the F50 GT.
Technically it wasn't suggested already. Even though I put a link at the bottom of my OP for the people to go vote on this car with a livery, the thread is kinda broken as it suggests both LM and GTE at the same time while not specifying which engine they want in.

Incorrect, a base model version of a race car have some Gran Turismo® stickers on it and that blank square/circle to put a racer number in, this car doesn't have these. :P

Look at the SLS AMG GT3 and the blank model of the GT-R GT3 (and maybe the Diablo GT2), that's something I'm thinking of. ;)

Last edited:
Look at the SLS AMG GT3 and the blank model of the GT-R GT3 (and maybe the Diablo GT2), that's something I'm thinking of. ;)
If it's like this then we would stay with a Ferrari F40 LM '89 and a Ferrari F40 LM Team Whatever '89, which is ok for me as long as the "base" car doesn't have that effing blank square/circle I wanted to delete from Base Models.

Always trying to find a way of cruising in race cars aren't you? :lol:
What can I do, some race cars look like a lot better than their street version once you remove the livery, I love using the cars from Super GT as "widebody" versions of their road-going counterparts. :D

I don't see how it stops being a Racecar if it doesn't have a livery.
I never said it would stop being a race car, I said I'd be able to use it in some online cruise lobbies where the host decided to ban race cars, like I do sometimes with the Stingray Racer Concept, Ferrari FXX and Arta Garaiya.

I never said it would stop being a race car, I said I'd be able to use it in some online cruise lobbies where the host decided to ban race cars, like I do sometimes with the Stingray Racer Concept, Ferrari FXX and Arta Garaiya.
It's still basically a racecar, so he would be right to ban it. Ultimately it's up to the host or not if he wants to ban it or not.

Back