• Thread starter nasanu
  • 13 comments

nasanu

(Banned)
Japan
Australia
nasanu
nasanu
I love the F40, I have one in white, looks great. But it is slow. I brake into corners, it is faster, but the F40 protests against it. The back always steps out quite suddenly and the race turns into a drift session.

And not it can NOT be fixed with brake balance. This is a suspension issue. Anyone have a setup that can cure this? Any tips?

I love the F40, I have one in white, looks great. But it is slow. I brake into corners, it is faster, but the F40 protests against it. The back always steps out quite suddenly and the race turns into a drift session.

And not it can NOT be fixed with brake balance. This is a suspension issue. Anyone have a setup that can cure this? Any tips?

It's one of those cars that you need to be very careful with when braking. You can't fully get off the power before braking. You have to stay on the gas a little longer otherwise the rear breaks loose. It's the same way with the lambos but the f40 is just a tad worse.
But if you know it's a suspension issue, why not soften up the rears til it works for you?

Not yet fine tuned but this suspension setup on sports soft tyres but it made the F40 much more drivable around Toykeo.

The Understeer was much reduced, oversteer was more progressive and easier to catch.
The only trick part fitted was fully adjustable suspension, everthing else was stock.

Brakes 7/6
Ride Height -2/-10
Springs 7/10
Dampers extenson 4/5
Dampers compression 4/5
Anti roll bar 3/4
Camber 2.5/1.2
Toe -0.12/0.10

Ferrari F40 '92

The F40 represents the essence of what a Ferrari is, and how it ought to drive. Although made in the 90s, it has outstanding performance through the bends and a bucket full of power to propel it in the straights. The lack of any driver aids made the initial testing a little unnerving, although turning was very predictable it did slightly over-steer on lift off. Furthermore, throttle control had to be precise or one would expect to see either the front or rear buried in someone else's car or worse a freaking wall!

The car boats a very well balanced chassis, it is especially excellent at mid corners and the transition to exiting. The car did slide slightly to the outside, but that was a minor issue quickly addressed by tweaking the differential. However, the Ferrari didn't feel aggressive enough, and lacked the urgency on turn-in.

As mentioned, the differential was tweaked so the initial torque is higher, whilst the sensitivity to acceleration dropped to allow better throttle control. Braking sensitivity was also upped to aid braking stability - particularly through S-curves. Brake balance was set with front bias and top speed was dropped to 300 km/h for better acceleration and response through corners.

Next the car's spring and dampers were stiffened to keep sliding in check, whilst stronger anti-roll bars were fitted for improved turn-in. Some negative camber and toe-out at the front also helped improve the lack of urgency inherent to the car. Lastly, the overall ride-height was dropped to reduce weight transfer and improve handling characteristics as a whole.

Ferrari F40 '92
HP: 649
Curb Mass: 1125
Weight Distribution: 42/57

Requirements:
-Weight Reduction Stage 3
-Chassis Reinforcements
-Engine Tuning Stage 3
-ECU Tuning
-Sports Intake Manifold
-Racing Air Filter
-Sports Exhaust
-Catalytic Converter: Sports
-Titanium Racing Exhaust
-High Pressure Turbo Kit
-Fully Customizable Transmission
-Limited Slip Differential
-Twin-Plate Clutch
-Semi-Racing Flywheel
-Fully adjustable Suspension
-Racing Hard tires

Aerodynamics: -- / --
Transmission: 300 km
Initial Torque: -- / 32
Acceleration Sensitivity: -- / 26
Braking Sensitivity: -- / 32
Ride Height: 16 / 14
Spring Rate: 12.7 / 13.9
Extension: 7 / 7
Compression: 6 / 6
Anti-roll Bars: 6 / 6
Camber Angle (-): 2.4 / 1.8
Toe Angle: -0.14 / 0.10
Brake Balance: 8 / 6

You better be awake to drive this car.

Enjoy!

Try that one.
I'll see what I can do with the stock car when my enduro finishes.

1179 kg
638 hp
Aids off, ABS:1
Racing Soft
Tuned for controller

Transmission: 230 mph

LSD Initial: 9
LSD Accel: 24
LSD Decel: 12

Ride Height: -3/-3
Spring Rate: 8.8/9.7
Extension: 7/9
Compression: 8/8
Anti-Roll: 5/3
Camber: 2.0/2.0
Toe: 0.10/1.00

Brake Balance: 8/2

Here is mine. Try them all and report.

LSD TORQUE 14
LSD ACCEL 28
LSD BRAKING 10
RH F -14 R -11
SR F 7.8 R 8.2
EXT F 4 R 4
COMP F 4 R 4
ROLL BAR F 3 R 4
CAMBER F 2.0 R 0.9
TOE F 0.00 R 0.08

Enjoy, the car is very sharp, just modulate your throttle and trail brake.

I tested all of these setups on trial mountain. I tried to maintain a quick but safe pace as if I was leading an online race. The time below are certainly not examples of time trial times. I can go a lot faster, but one lap flyers are not what I was aiming for.

vett'e setup:
1:24.7xx
Car is fun, nice to drive. The back steps out under braking and produces some excellent tight drifts around turns. Not great for racing, have to brake mostly in a straight line to avoid drifts.

Heaps of fun but too much time lost drifting and to easy to spin for racing.

brazo's setup:
1:25.0xx
I thought this setup would be faster. It is more controlled under brakes and the drifts are a little reduced. But it has more understeer. Ultimately this setup bought more mistakes out of me. With more laps I could greatly improve on the laptime, but I am looking for a setup to take online and I make enough mistakes already. Plus I dont really like driving stiff feeling cars. Personal preference.

oppositelock's setup:
1:24.871
Feels very compliant, planted. Rode the bumps at trial mountain well. Would have beaten my best time so far if not for comparative understeer into the tunnel. This tune made me realise that vett'e tune gains time out of turns in my hands by reducing the turning circle via rear drift. More turn in and this would be quite nice indeed.

Deutsch Rennen:
1:23.7xx
Is this car 1+ seconds quicker? No. Does it really seem to suit my driving and come at the end of a test where I am really used to the car? Yes.

The car moves about a lot, I like this. So many times I test tunes that try to brute force a car to behave, turn it into a stiff board without personality. This is certainly not one of those tunes. This car loves to turn and this really makes it easy to fly through the fist section of the track into the first tunnel. It is still sliding around the long left hander at the bottom of the back straight, I pretty much always end up in a 4 wheel drift coming out of it. Even still the lap time does not seem to suffer that much, obviously.

stock:
1:23.9xx

I actually beat the best time on 2 out of 8 laps, but they were disallowed (red) because I accidentally cut the first left hander a little due to the aggressive way the stock setup corners. The stock setup is fast around trial mountain, but it is a wild ride.

Final thoughts:

All these setups have their place. I believe all of them are capable of beating my best time, it comes down to they way you drive and what you expect out of a car. Vette's setup might have been a lot quicker had it come at the end of the test. brazo's setup seemed like it might be fast but it really did not mesh with my driving style.

I wanted my F40 to turn on a dime and be very stable. I don't believe it is possible. Every single one of these tunes has me in a controlled 4 wheel drift at times, some simply more than others. The stiffer setups (the ones that felt stiff anyway) did reduce the oversteer on corner entry, but also lost time in the high speed s turns, they were not as agile.

For me, I am going with Deutsch Rennen's setup. It is very much like the stock setup but with the edge taken off. It still wags its tail, but hey its fun. And not as damaging to lap times as I thought since it gains in other areas.

Thanks for contributing setups guys, it is very much appreciated :)

Great test, very informative! You might want to retest my setup with the swaybars at 4/4 and with the toe at the default values of 0.00/0.20. This might quell some of the aforementioned understeer.👍

I actually find the F40 in GT5 is wonderfully tuned. Tried a few of these setups but they seem to make the car squirrelly and I was swapping ends without warning. It's stock setup is squidgy and forgiving, and seems to let the car regain traction smoothly, which is very important. It's a kart with a roof! Similar to the NSX-R. I could spend all night backing it into turns.

It makes me proud, not because of the lap time but because you hit the nail on the head. With all of my tunes I never try to make an easy, boring, fast car. I make a car that retains its character and is faster in the hands of an intermediate+ driver. I know allot of people complain about the cars being uncontrollable but honestly its because they are inexperienced. Thank you for the test and thank you for understanding my tuning concept. I should note also that the setup you tested was my nürburgring setup, since you'll be sticking with my tune give her a run around the ring and let me know what you think.

Last edited:
It makes me proud, not because of the lap time but because you hit the nail on the head. With all of my tunes I never try to make an easy, boring, fast car. I make a car that retains its character and is faster in the hands of an intermediate+ driver. I know allot of people complain about the cars being uncontrollable but honestly its because they are inexperienced. Thank you for the test and thank you for understanding my tuning concept. I should note also that the setup you tested was my nürburgring setup, since you'll be sticking with my tune give her a run around the ring and let me know what you think.
I personally agree with you. Most high-end/sports cars that are "undesirable" in GT6 are due one of the three reasons: 1. Handling (heavy, too light, or barely responsive), 2. Power (too little or uncontrollable), or 3. customization (barely modifiable). The F40, 364, 246 Dino, and 250 Ber. are my favorite Ferraris even though most of them are "uncontrollable" or "ugly".

Back