FF drifting help

• Thread starter Dan
  • 27 comments

Dan

Premium
United States
United States
If a moderator feels the need to move this thread, by all means, do so. Just please don't lock it.

Hello interwebz! My name is Daniel, but you can call me Dan. I have recently seen lots of discussions about Front-Engine, Front-Wheel-Drive (FF) vehicles being able to drift to the same extent as some Front-Engine, Rear-Wheel-Drive (FR) vehicles. I am really interested in trying this out as it is such a radical concept, pulling incredible drifts with zero power going to the rear wheels.

Since I'm used to drifting Rear-Wheel-Drive vehicles, I would like some advice from some experienced Front Wheel Drive drifters. Also, which FF cars are the best for this? I have seen the Honda Civic RM hatchback being thrashed around Suzuka East, as well as Integra RMs, but I don't exactly like Hondas. I would like to find an FF car that is relatively easy to acquire, such as one from the Premium dealerships, or ones that frequently show up in the Used Car Dealer.

Thank you and have a nice day or night depending on where you live!

FF's won't drift to the same extent as FR's, but I think you can get them to slide with a lot of holding the handbrake and tuning for maximum oversteer.

You never can drift the FF like the FR drifts. Just hold the e-brake then turn do not use gas , what gas will do is straighten your car out.

Thanks for your advice with how to drive the cars. But now I need advice on which cars to use and what tunes to use.

I'd say, pick an FF car that you enjoy driving, tune it to oversteer and then go out and try that.

Are you looking what car to drive for FR or FF? If you want a begginer FR car go for the S13 it's slow but still driftable. For FF then use Honda CIVIC :D for tuning just stiff everything up, it really wouldn't matter what tune you use because FF cars are pretty hard to drift.

Are you looking what car to drive for FR or FF? If you want a begginer FR car go for the S13 it's slow but still driftable. For FF then use Honda CIVIC :D for tuning just stiff everything up, it really wouldn't matter what tune you use because FF cars are pretty hard to drift.

I previously stated that I'm looking to drift FF cars, not FR cars. And I don't like Hondas either.

Really...? it says several times on the page "FF" and that was your question..? =/

I previously stated that I'm looking to drift FF cars, not FR cars. And I don't like Hondas either.

I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to as I stated that I drift FF cars occasionally. But I did also put a footnote explaining that I don't consider it a true drift.
All it is really is just causing a lot of smoke and throwing the end of the car out.
It takes a lot of work and it's really just for a bit of fun and to do something different so I'd never take it so seriously as to try.. tuning for it..

Just grab an FF car you like driving. personally I prefer the late model Levin/Truenos. The AE101 is pretty fun and I've had some success with the Focus. The key is weight balance, as it always is in drifting. However with FF throttle control has less effect as far as getting angle. That's where the weight transfer is most important.

Just experiment and don't take it seriously. Most importantly, have fun :)

I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to as I stated that I drift FF cars occasionally. But I did also put a footnote explaining that I don't consider it a true drift.
All it is really is just causing a lot of smoke and throwing the end of the car out.
It takes a lot of work and it's really just for a bit of fun and to do something different so I'd never take it so seriously as to try.. tuning for it..

Just grab an FF car you like driving. personally I prefer the late model Levin/Truenos. The AE101 is pretty fun and I've had some success with the Focus. The key is weight balance, as it always is in drifting. However with FF throttle control has less effect as far as getting angle. That's where the weight transfer is most important.

Just experiment and don't take it seriously. Most importantly, have fun :)

Ok. I didn't mean it to be a true drift in my previous post. Just getting the back end to slide out a lot. When I get the time to practice, I will find something to use. Perhaps my Taurus SHO or a Mini Cooper LOL.

Not sure about the mini cooper, with such a short wheel base it would be interesting for sure.

Well like I say just put an emphasis on the weight transfer and the rest will start coming naturally.

At least as naturally as a drive train really not designed for the sport can be :lol:

Not sure about the mini cooper, with such a short wheel base it would be interesting for sure.

Well like I say just put an emphasis on the weight transfer and the rest will start coming naturally.

At least as naturally as a drive train really not designed for the sport can be :lol:

Ok haha. A Mini Cooper 1.3i '98 would be pretty hilarious going sideways (well, to an extent). The power it makes isn't that great, but it is definitely the best looking Mini in GT5 hands down.

Just a reminder to certain people. Don't like to discuss FF Drifting? Don't read the thread. Easy-peasy.

Grippier tires on the front then the rear, so run CH on the rear and some sports compounds on the front. Trying feinting into a corner and ripping the e-brake, that's what I do at least.

Fixed it. You have to paste only the video code...

If you have this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lph4j00nk5

Paste only:

4lph4j00nk5

between the "youtube" tags.

Racing Soft in the front and Comfort Hard in the back helps. ALSO, use the e-brake alooooot. Trust me, I've tried to do what most people can't, like drifting FF haha. It is a pain in the butt, but it is worth the compliments.

Racing Soft in the front and Comfort Hard in the back helps. ALSO, use the e-brake alooooot. Trust me, I've tried to do what most people can't, like drifting FF haha. It is a pain in the butt, but it is worth the compliments.

This only works to introduce drifting, but it's highly unreliable if you want to drift it well.

Really, just keep in mind one thing:

Without any throttle, a RWD car and FF car are almost identical.

If a RWD car can drift without throttle (and with the right tune, yes, almost all can) then an FF car can to. The trick is in suspension tuning, flicking the rear, and using power only to pull yourself out of the drift. Using the same tires all around, this is a much more difficult but WAY more balanced and usable type of drift.

This only works to introduce drifting, but it's highly unreliable if you want to drift it well.

Really, just keep in mind one thing:

Without any throttle, a RWD car and FF car are almost identical.

If a RWD car can drift without throttle (and with the right tune, yes, almost all can) then an FF car can to. The trick is in suspension tuning, flicking the rear, and using power only to pull yourself out of the drift. Using the same tires all around, this is a much more difficult but WAY more balanced and usable type of drift.

I agree with the tune part, but I find it impossible to use the same tires.

Last edited:
I just can't find a way to make the drifts look nice. :P The back looks weird hah!

Part of it is length. A short car will always look strange drifting because even though the angle may be the same, the rear is less distance diagonally from the front, and thus looks like it is not drifting properly. Try it in a mitsubishi FTO or Hyundai Coupe to see what I mean.

Another aspect is how smooth the entry is and how long you can maintain it. Because FF cars require rather a violent entry, they usually rock around and don't have as clean look entering a corner, and without rear wheels to power the the drift, the car will not be able to maintain it long enough to get the nice flat countersteer style of a drift car.

Part of it is length. A short car will always look strange drifting because even though the angle may be the same, the rear is less distance diagonally from the front, and thus looks like it is not drifting properly. Try it in a mitsubishi FTO or Hyundai Coupe to see what I mean.

Another aspect is how smooth the entry is and how long you can maintain it. Because FF cars require rather a violent entry, they usually rock around and don't have as clean look entering a corner, and without rear wheels to power the the drift, the car will not be able to maintain it long enough to get the nice flat countersteer style of a drift car.

OHHH mmkay...

Back