FF, FR, MR

• Thread starter ukmadmax
  • 9 comments
I'm guessing front-front, front-rear, and mid-rear? Where the second letter stands for the driving wheels. Don't quote me on this just a guess

・Drivetrain/Aspiration
Indicates where a car's engine is located, and whether it powers the front or rear wheels. The various types of drivetrain are as follows:

FF (Front Engine/Front-Wheel Drive): Both steering and transmission of engine power are done entirely through the front wheels. This kind of drivetrain places great stress on the front wheels, making it unsuitable for high-powered engines.

FR (Front Engine/Rear-Wheel Drive): Steering is done through the front wheels, while engine power is transmitted through the rear wheels. This type of drivetrain provides excellent front-rear weight balance. It is relatively well-suited to high-powered engines, though once a certain limit is reached, traction control and other features become necessary.

MR (Mid-Engine/Rear-Wheel Drive: The engine is located in the middle of the car's body, making this type of drivetrain excellent for cornering. It is relatively well-suited to high-powered engines, and is often used in racing cars.

RR (Rear Engine/Rear-Wheel Drive): With this type of drivetrain, the engine is placed even farther back than the rear wheels which power the car. The rear wheels also bear the bulk of the car's weight, meaning that this drivetrain provides good acceleration. RR drivetrain cars do not turn very well, however, and it takes time to get used to their handling.

4WD (Four-Wheel Drive): The engine's power is transmitted through all four wheels. The amount of stress placed on each tire is reduced, meaning that this type of drivetrain is well-suited to high-powered engines. In principle, 4WD cars tend not to turn well, though there are electronic devices available to overcome this particular flaw.

"Aspiration" refers to the method through which an engine sucks in air. NA (naturally aspirated) engines use the negative pressure produced when the pistons come down to suck in air. This is the most common method. T (turbo) and SC (supercharged) engines use turbines or rotors to forcefully suck in air. Both the T and SC aspiration methods involve pushing compressed air through the engine. This burns more fuel and usually produces higher max power and max torque than an NA engine with the same displacement figure. EV indicates that the car's engine is aspirated using an electric motor.

Also note that not all 4WD born equal. Notably a S-AWD: Not a real 4WD, but rather the engine powers the back and the electric goes to the front only when needed. Example: Honda NSX Concept and Dualnote.

Also, for the aspiration, you forgot a hybrid.

Of course, all of those isnt appeared as an actual spec in GT6. But it actually is when you drive it.

Disregard. (I hit 'Edit', I swear. While I'm not sure what happened there, I have no doubt my phone was involved. :lol:)

Last edited:
Did this thread really just happen?
Now now, there are no stupid questions; just unnecessary jabs from people who think having the answer somehow makes them better.

It was a question asked about GT6 in the GT6 General Questions subforum, and @JockeP22 answered it very thoroughly (though the comment that EV cars' engines are aspirated by way of an electric motor would imply some form of supercharging, when the electric motor actually replaces the aspirated motor in transmitting power to the driven wheels :P) and without judgement.

Back