FF Rear Wings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter colepepper
  • 13 comments
  • 3,088 views
Messages
175
Messages
colepepper
I have noticed that in GT5 (and sometimes IRL) you see FF cars with rear wings installed. This does not make sense to me because a rear wing applies downforce to the rear wheels and therefore would lift weight off of the front wheels causing a loss of grip, right? (For instance if you have ever scene the episode of TopGear where the boys try to make an Avantime go as fast as an Evo they install a wing resulting in a few second loss). Is there another purpose for this on FF cars?
 
Because of the amount of weight at the front of a lot of FF cars the rear end can become unstable at speed especially when cornering. Not the same as a FR kicking the rear end out in a slide but still enough to cause handling issues. A properly balanced spoiler or wing on the rear can offset that instability keeping the rear end firmly planted without causing undue front end lift. Depending on the car it can also aid in the aerodynamic flow helping to reduce drag.
 
So would you add more downforce to the front of a car to achieve the correct balance?
 
Basically if you have a performance FF car a rear wing would help the weight issue alot as the rear of the car would be very unstable.

A carl like a stupid 1.2 Litre Vauxhall Corsa definately does not need a wing. Which being from the U.K i see alot of and just cry a little lol
 
I reckon someone that knows more about tuning and performance could make a good argument for a rear wing on a front-wheel drive and justifiably do so, but just for amusement I'm going to share this.


I tried to get it to jump straight to the part that I wanted, but it doesn't seem to be working in the YouTube tag. Below is the URL directly to the relevant part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXfuvy3zH8&feature=player_detailpage#t=322s

I'm not suggesting it as a meaningful argument against putting a rear wing on a FF car. It's just..., well it's Top Gear, so.... Everyone wins.
 
"well it's top gear everyone wins" I can not stop laughing on how true that is!
 
That Top Gear episode has to be taken with a big grain of salt, though many parts of it are true.

The wing will help with high speed cornering stability, but is pretty useless without a front splitter to balance it out, like this:

underpanel_on.jpg


Shame GT5 doesn't give us one. Not even a non-adjustable one. Hell... wouldn't have to cost more than 2.5k.
 
I have noticed that in GT5 (and sometimes IRL) you see FF cars with rear wings installed. This does not make sense to me because a rear wing applies downforce to the rear wheels and therefore would lift weight off of the front wheels causing a loss of grip, right? (For instance if you have ever scene the episode of TopGear where the boys try to make an Avantime go as fast as an Evo they install a wing resulting in a few second loss). Is there another purpose for this on FF cars?

look at the wing they bolt on in the TopGear episode...that thing is doing nothing but creating drag...that is why the lap times got slower...not because it was lifting the front wheels...

rear wings on FF cars can be very beneficial...

unless of course you want to ring these guys up and tell them they are all completely wrong...

spoondc5.jpg


spoon_fd2_Civic_001.jpg


2011_Car_02_Huff.jpg


2011_Car_30_Dahlgren.jpg
 
That Top Gear episode has to be taken with a big grain of salt, though many parts of it are true.

The wing will help with high speed cornering stability, but is pretty useless without a front splitter to balance it out, like this:

http://www.myrx7.com/images/underpanel_on.jpg[img]

Shame GT5 doesn't give us one. Not even a non-adjustable one. Hell... wouldn't have to cost more than 2.5k.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I thought they did. I've installed a "front bumper" that didn't look changed, besides a little part underneath the stock bumper. It was a little thin line that was visibly there and not there when I checked/unchecked to see what it was. If I'm right, it's just the adjusting of it that isn't possible.

[QUOTE]-Some cars have been modified for example, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X FQ360 had a front splitter, which is a aero part in GT5[/QUOTE]
I searched google to see if there really is, and found that. So I'll check as soon as I get back on. Starting with the Evo X.
 
I love to make my FF cars look ridiculous. What could be better than 55hp, dropped to the floor with a stupid looking wing. Paint it pink and I'll giggle every time.
 
I thought they did. I've installed a "front bumper" that didn't look changed, besides a little part underneath the stock bumper. It was a little thin line that was visibly there and not there when I checked/unchecked to see what it was. If I'm right, it's just the adjusting of it that isn't possible.

The aero screen in the garage will show you if you have non-adjustable front aero (it'll be grayed out). Most aftermarket aero parts in GT5 for the front end don't add any and are only for show.
 
The dodge srt-4 comes with one by default, I guess it must be for stability.. the sad part is that you can't take it off... I can't see any purpose to it. Maybe if you could strap 10 rockets to it, it would be purposeful then. D:
 
The dodge srt-4 comes with one by default, I guess it must be for stability.. the sad part is that you can't take it off... I can't see any purpose to it. Maybe if you could strap 10 rockets to it, it would be purposeful then. D:

The Dodge SRT4 is the fastest FF in the game (at least in a straight line) when fully modified.

Putting an aero kit wing on it actually does help its performance, keeping it stable at 200 mph and aiding in cornering.
 
Back