FFB/Deadzone settings

Discussion in 'Project CARS 1' started by HBR-Roadhog, May 10, 2015.

1. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

Can anyone explain how the FFB settings can be used to alter or remove the deadzone from the wheel? Naturally the deadzone setting should be 0 on wheel and in game but there is still a little more deadzone than I would like to have.

I also am seeing some wandering out of my kart when on straight road it will pull just a little to the right and then the left.

2. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

There are two types of deadzone when it comes to FFB wheels.

Steering deadzone: This means that around the center, you move the wheel -> nothing happens in game. This leads to a wandering effect on the straights, because at the center you have to rely on visual clues only to know if you're going straight (instead of relying on the wheel feel).

FFB deadzone: This means that the game is signalling the wheel to move -> wheel doesn't move. E.g. the FFB signal from the game can tell the wheel to move at 0-100% strength. So let's say your FFB deadzone is 10%, a small bump/kerb (telling the wheel to move at 9% for example) will not be felt in the wheel. This also affects center wheel behavior, because usually the forces keeping the wheel centered are relatively weak.

Steering deadzone can be corrected by using the corresponding slider in the wheel's configuration settings. Should be already at 0% if I recall correctly.
    FFB deadzone (or minimum input as it's called in other sims) is in the 'FFB calibration' screen. The value to input there depends on your wheel. On PC there's a tool called WheelCheck that can check it for you.

On console it requires a bit of trial and error, but it's fairly easy to do. If the value you put in is too high, you will get oscillation on straights/standstill (when not holding the brake). This is the result of the FFB motors working against each other. So you want to test up until you get oscillation, then dial it back a notch until it's gone and you will have your value. Start at a low value! High values can damage your wheel! Start at something like 0.05, then tone up and down from there.

aCuddlyteddy and bleeder like this.
  3. skazz

skazz

Deadzone removal range : This is the "minimum force" setting within pCARS.

There's a huge megathread on the Assetto Corsa official forum with results from almost all consumer wheels, to give you an idea of the FFB deadzone likely to be present in your wheel. http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ack-wheel-using-wheelcheck-and-ffbclip.14319/

It also lets you download wheelcheck and test your wheel yourself.

Some typical wheel values:
    - G27 : 0.10-0.15
    - T500/T300 : 0.05-0.08
    - Fanatec CSR/Porsche wheels : (quite variable) 0.10-0.25
    - Fanatec CSW : 0.02-0.05
    - DFGT : 0.00

HBR-Roadhog likes this.
  4. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

Thanks.

I set the removal range up on it last night and is much better now I tried it at 10 then 20 and then settled at 15, for now anyway ;)

At 20 there was about what would amount to 1 notch of dead zone. Car felt good but if I released the wheel on a straight it would start to oscillate. Not an issue while holding the wheel. I bumped it down to 15 and it feels good when driving and I can let go and the car runs straight with no oscillation.

Fanatec CSR Elite Deadzone Removal 0.15

NLxAROSA likes this.
  5. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

And a bunch of values I collected on WMD (note that your mileage may vary based on wheel age/use/etc., so increase if you think you can and decrease if you get oscillation):

Logitech Driving Force Pro: 0.00-0.01
    Fanatec CSR: 0.00
    Fanatec CSW v2: 0.00
    Fanatec 911 GT3 RS v1: 0.06
    Fanatec GT2: 0.11
    Fanatec Turbo S: 0.09 - 0.1

Thrustmaster T300RS: 0.02

SimXperience AccuForce: 0.00

6. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

My brother is using 0.25 on his GT2 with FW 7.56 and says it feels great.

Not sure why there would be a 0.09 there as that does not seem to be attainable.
    Mine defaulted to 0.01 and goes up by .05 with each click so it goes 0.01 0.06 0.11 .... If I take it down to 0 first then it goes 0.05 0.10 0.15 ... No idea how you could get a 0.09 unless maybe if you went all the way to the highest value and then came down.

As to the best setting I think it is in part a matter of user preference. For some a setting of .10 on my wheel would be fine for others they may like the tight feel of 0.20 where as I think the 0.15 feels best.

7. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

Weird, I have no trouble at all selecting a value increase/decrease of 0.01. :confused: Anyway, please note that these values are collected by various members with FFB strength set to 100. Set it to something different and numbers will be different. Also may vary because of wear/age, etc. And also certain FFB settings may already increase values up to a level where they are above the deadzone limit. So as always: YMMV. :)

8. alegunner68

alegunner68

Ps4 only goes up in 0.05 increments. 0 isn't enough for me ( t300 ) and 0.05 is too much.

9. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

That should definitely be patched, as it's quite sensitive in some case.

alegunner68 likes this.
  10. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

Really? PC version? Current build and patch? What method did you use to change it?

I use the dpad on the wheel and it moves 0.05 at a time and that is on the PC version.

I would like to try some values between 0.15 and 0.20 but that seemed to be the only choices

11. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

Just checked, if I use the mouse with the slider I can do 0.01 increments/decrements. If I use the D-Pad on my Xbox 360 Controller or the left thumbstick, it's 0.05. If I click the little arrows using the mouse, it does nothing. :banghead:

12. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

Yep I just did the same thing here. drag with mouse can do small increments as low as 0.01 clicking arrows do nothing. dpad and keyboard arrow keys do 0.05 increments.

So at least there is a way to fine tune it with the mouse so I can do more testing with values between .15 and .20

Should be changed so that the dpad moves in .01 increments and the clickable arrows work

13. alegunner68

alegunner68

That's interesting, I'll try my bluetooth mouse on it later