FFVII: Advent Children

  • Thread starter Thread starter Driftster
  • 17 comments
  • 730 views
Messages
3,862
Got this movie about a week ago as a "bonus deal" from the video store (they wern't flying off the shelves as they had planned os if you bought 3 other DVD's you got this one free)..

It's not a bad movie, much to my dismay it wasn't a retelling of the FFVII story, but another continuation of it.

Great CGI not Spirits within quality, but good none the less(althought they seemed to have "some" problems with straight hair)
good fight scenes for the most part...Stuck with the character traits pretty well, but it did get kinda cheezy with how the characters acted...pulling lines and catch phrases from directly out of the game....
had a sephiroth/cloud fight...wasn't that long but it was alright....

but yeah...not a bad rent...wouldn't sudgest buying it unless you can get it for 9.99
 
Driftster
Got this movie about a week ago as a "bonus deal" from the video store (they wern't flying off the shelves as they had planned os if you bought 3 other DVD's you got this one free)..

It's not a bad movie, much to my dismay it wasn't a retelling of the FFVII story, but another continuation of it.

Great CGI not Spirits within quality, but good none the less(althought they seemed to have "some" problems with straight hair)
good fight scenes for the most part...Stuck with the character traits pretty well, but it did get kinda cheezy with how the characters acted...pulling lines and catch phrases from directly out of the game....
had a sephiroth/cloud fight...wasn't that long but it was alright....

but yeah...not a bad rent...wouldn't sudgest buying it unless you can get it for 9.99

Not "Spirits Within"-quality? I beg to differ. "The Spirits Within" may be more photorealistic, but Nomura and crew weren't going for that look with this film. They wanted to remain true to the designs of the game, and they pulled that off magnificently. Not to mention, the animation is more fluid; more lifelike all around. Just look at the characters' eyes -- they don't have that dead look that plagued those in "Spirits". This is some of the finest CG animation to ever grace the screen.
 
I was going to buy this.. But I refuse to pay $19.99 for a dvd.... well, unless i really really want it. and I kept on questioning myself bringing it up to the register so i knew i want to rent it first.
 
Draedalus
Not "Spirits Within"-quality? I beg to differ. "The Spirits Within" may be more photorealistic, but Nomura and crew weren't going for that look with this film. They wanted to remain true to the designs of the game, and they pulled that off magnificently. Not to mention, the animation is more fluid; more lifelike all around. Just look at the characters' eyes -- they don't have that dead look that plagued those in "Spirits". This is some of the finest CG animation to ever grace the screen.


you mean asside from the constant blur in the backgrounds of the church where cloud was staying..
and the fact that tifa's hair consistnantly had jaggies when infront of her face
 
yeh i have this on DVD is ok 3 out of 5 from me, good animation and CG, but story was lacking big style and was too short for me. Also didnt have the same feel as the games, I actually cared about the characters in the game, but couldnt give two monkeys about the film counterparts. End sequence was dull too.
 
I actually picked this up yesterday and I must say I'm impressed as hell with it, very good animation and I'm very impressed with the quality of it.
 
I liked the movie, very much. I'm quite a large FF fan, so I'm not surprised I liked it, even though I haven't played IIV in such a long time.

The CG was good, but in some areas iffy (I agree it isn't The Spirits Within quailty), but it was still very good.

You needed to play FF IIV to understand it fully really, as my Dad was just fully "WTF!" at the end, so I and my brother had to explain things to him. :lol:
 
That's a pretty lame parody...

however ...the whole "Cloud is a giant viagina" theme is pretty spot on..

I still don't see how so many people can love such a femanine, baby of a character.
 
I do have "Spirits Within" on DVD, I'd be surprised if this new DVD has better CG than that(too bad the movie sucked). I've been wanting to rent this "Advent Children", but it's been rented out. I guess I'll keep on trying.
 
I did like it a lot, but I'm a FF fan so it's not proof of much.
Could'nt say if it looks better than Spirits Within as I've not seen it for a while but this FFVII:AC was the kind of film Spirits Within should have been in my mind, or at least something like it.
Picture quality was very good (I watched it upscaled to 720p). Could'nt really criticise its looks at all. No doubt a Blu-Ray version will be released at some point.
 
No..it' done in CG...
GREAT CG....no doubt..

but it's not as good as Spirits within...

there's no way in gods green earth it's as good as Spirits...

it's done in good "video game cinematics" quality CG...now..movie quality CG



alec_baldwin_final_fantasy_the_spirits_within_001.jpg


Tifa2.jpg
 
When the FF fan community goes from gigantic loser nerds..


to normal people who just like games..

then I'LL consider becoming a fan.
 
I quite liked it the movie, it helped that in the bonus section it have "Reminisance of Final Fantasy VII" where it practically showed the highlights of the whole game.

The CG is jaw dropping I think it's better than Spirits Within, my only moan about the graphics is probably when they were on the bikes, kinda felt like they were hovering on the road. :lol:

The story was good but could deffinatley be bettered, my advice is if your not a huge fan of the FF games, rent it and see what you think, if you are a fan, it's a worthy investment.
 
Finally, I rented it. I thought the special effects weren't the quality of "Spirits Within", but then again, I haven't seen that movie in a very long time. I should watch it again, since I got it on DVD. I heard so much praises on "Advent Children", but I hated everything about this movie. I'd give it a "-D". :guilty:
 
Back