FGT - Cote D'Azur

• Thread starter CasadoGT
  • 14 comments
mrcasado296
This is the second time I’ve typed this, spent an hour typing out the first version, only to find that when I pressed Preview it asked for my password again – I was not amused, so here we go, take 2

I’d finally accrued enough money to buy the FGT, at last I could complete the Extreme Series, 4.9million of my hard earned credits – a nice colour of Orange, nice.

After reading various threads about the FGT series there were quite a few people saying just how hard Cote D’Azur was, and had to settle for a top 5/6 finish as you win all the rest. So I decided that it would be best to do each race individually then do the championship – so I could get a feel for the tracks, see how competitive I was against the AI.

Cote D’Azur it was, I must be mad to try this. The very start surprised me as I was able to accelerate far quicker than the cars in front of me, and I took a gamble by moving to the right side of the track for the first corner, which meant I would have to break harder but at least the traffic wouldn’t be as scary. I got around the 1st corner in 4th, 2nd and 3rd just in front of me, but 1st had already started to streak away. But it became clear almost straight away that I was certainly braver as I streaked up the hill for the first major left hander, I took the inside line and at just a touch over a 100mph I took 3rd. But as everybody knows, the amount of overtaking opportunities here are minimal, all depends on how brave/stupid you were.

At the end of the 1st lap I crossed the line right behind 2nd, we were 4.5 seconds behind already, as I attacked the hill again, the left hander serving me well again (an omen perhaps?) as I took 2nd place. As I made it to the end of the lap the gap had grown to nearly 6.5seconds, there wasn’t going to be a Hollywood ending here, I had to maintain 2nd and keep him from pulling further away.

Then on lap 7, somebody really odd happened, 1:16.2, which brought the gap to just 4 seconds, and if I needed a kick up the backside, that was it. But surely I couldn’t close him down could I? I chipped away and chipped away, hitting the high 1:16’s as I saw him coming out of the tunnel, spurring me on until Lap 12 happened, right on his tail as we approached the last 2 corners before the start finish straight, I didn’t brake enough as I clipped the wall, nothing serious. But it meant I crossed the line 1.9 seconds behind. I spent the next 3 laps closing him down, inch by inch, onto the Start finish straight on 15, my chance, dragged along in his slipstream we crossed the line and I pushed to the right side of the track. Squeezed my car on the inside of the 1st corner, got him, Lap 16 I put in a 1:15.9 which pushed another nail in the coffin (I thought this race was hard?). Spoke to soon as I came out of the tunnel and as I turned into the chicane I turned too early and t-boned the wall. For what seemed an eternity, I panicked, I was 3 seconds up, and as I righted the car I saw him, but he WAS NOT having 1st back, stick to my lines, keep my braking points and the race was mine.

Keep it sensible is the key. But lap 20, something clicked in my head, I pushed every corner, every mph more as I pushed a higher gear, I must have been mad. Lap 20 – 1:15.2, sensational, I had won it by 3 seconds, I was ecstatic

Next up – the Italian Thoroughbred - Monza

Nice work! Never lose hope. If you run clean laps and stay off the walls you'll eventually catch the leader.

Monza to come......

Managed to work my way through the Championship Tuesday, so all will appear over the next couple of days

What setup are you using? I was able to tweak some of the suspension/diff/alignment settings and run consistent 1:12's with Racing Hard tires. I'm convinced a 1:10.X on Racing Hards is possible with enough laps to string good sectors together.

The races are only 20 laps long. Racing softs strangely last longer than racing hards, although this may be because less grip = more sliding = faster tyre wear.

This race for some reason has frustrated me more than any other so one night after several failed attempts decided to have some fun...

Seasonals > British Lightweights > Mt. Aso Tarmac > Lotus Esprit

Immediately turned around to run the track backwards for some head-ons...great fun.

Backwards on the straight full tilt, hard left at the corner and managed to fly through the air, flip and land on the roof. Other drivers didn't seem to mind no matter how hard we collided and would just continue on their way. Timed it just right on one run and landed on top of another car!

Just had an annoying one here. Was leading the race for all of it without setting it up running low 1:14's then on lap 17 I got to close to the kerbs in the hairpin and went to a standstill. Almost every car went flying past and I crawled back to 3rd :(.

Because the AI are so timid at the start it's possible to charge to first within the first 3 corners. I guess they are still "blue" at the start. But once you have the lead you won't be passed as long as you stay on line and run a reasonable speed.

Back