2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
At the end of Season 1 of the 2021 Series of the Nations Cup, I had the following results below.
Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 03-55-15 Sport Mode Gran Turismo Sport.png

In addition, I also topped the Friend Rankings with the following chart below.
oie_a9r6aXxOMitE.jpg

I posted a replay of my best FP lap on GTS Community. All comments and critiques are welcome.
Since we have similar pace, not sure if I'll be of much help, but will take a look tonight after work!
Hit the share button when the screen is up, then after race fo to messages and message the screenshot to your alt or main, then open it in the ps-app and share it here.
Yep, that's also the way I do it, have a PS Messages "group" between my two accounts, definitely the easiest method for me. Unfortunately it doesn't work for videos.
I know there are idiots everywhere and the reasonings in their heads indecipherable, but could this have been due to a country rivalry? I know during the 2014 world cup a Brazilian friend of mine were rooting for Argentina to go out at the Semi's as they considered it a national shame for Argentina to be in the final of their world cup. So was he overly aggressive due to your flag? If so that's a real shame and a small minded mentality from them.
While there's indeed some country rivalry, I've raced against many clean Brazilian drivers. I've searched for his SR graph and he has had DR resets every few days when the penalty system was less lenient. He's just a dirty driver who probably enjoys messing up with others when he is not doing well, wouldn't put it down to nationality. I'm sure every country has both clean and dirty drivers. 😅

1624539409953.png

Some observations on this Nation's season:
  • My WORST counted score this season (232) was better than my BEST score in last year's official season (216).
  • I could've had even more points, but I threw away a potential win in a higher-DR race in Round 6 (I won the next slot with lower average DR for 246 points), and threw away another podium for massive (for me) points in Round 7. Both of those should've put me over 1000 points for this season (I got so close with 989 points as my final total).
  • Of the 3 races I was REALLY looking forward to (karts in Rd.1, Gr.1 at Spa in Rd.2, and RB Jr. in Rd. 8), only the first round ended up actually counting towards my final score.

Last edited:
While there's indeed some country rivalry, I've raced against many clean Brazilian drivers. I've searched for his SR graph and he has had DR resets every few days when the penalty system was less lenient. He's just a dirty driver who probably enjoys messing up with others when he is not doing well, wouldn't put it down to nationality. I'm sure every country has both clean and dirty drivers. 😅
Oh no doubt. Just overthinking an idiot I guess. You had a lot more patience than I would have had in dealing with him. Kudos.

Last edited:
Oh no doubt. Just overthinking an idiot I guess. You had a lot more patience than I would have had in dealing with him. Kudos.
Ah, to be honest I felt like punting him back, but I would have risked destroying my own race if I did. Before the stop, I was 1 sec behind the guy ahead (who was on mediums) and 5 secs ahead of the car behind (who was on hards as me). I knew everyone ahead of me after the stop was on a slower tyre compound. If I retaliated with the dirty guy and picked up a penalty myself, I would have likely lost position to the guys behind me, who were on my same tyres, and on AMGs that are quicker on a straight line and would have been tougher to overtake. So it wasn't that much about having patience with him, but more about trying to avoid having my race ruined.

Is it me, or do the hard tires feel worse than they used to?

last year when most the daily’s used almost exclusively hard tires, I don’t remember them being this skatey. It seems ever since we went to RM’s being the standard tires, the hards have felt worse.

what says ye?

Alrighty I'm a little behind so I'll be quick.

Saturday Manu at Spa: Aston felt good, but then going with a buddy in a Porsche doing practice sessions it fell off a cliff the latter half of the race. I also struggled to get 10/10ths out of it and can only eek out maybe 8-9/10ths of it's potential. Anyways got some good points the 3rd attempt (after a very nasty dirty move done on my teammate but the penalty and my teammates off allowed me to sneak through). Nothing really to write home about

Then yesterday's last Nations of the season: It was.....................my birthday! And I was thinking since I had 63.4K DR at the time it would be the aliens blowing out my candles and shoving me in the back while they munched on my cake. But to my surprise I was towards the top of split two with some very fast people. I tried the Porsche but it felt awful to me on worn tires. The bettle was a little slower overall due to saving fuel, but I felt better with it on worn tires. Qualified 3rd and..............finished 3rd lol. With 252 points..........time to go eat some more birthday cake IRL 😁.

1624556701370.png

And that brings me to my standings. My best tally to date. First time I ever eclipsed 1000 pts. I beat some very fast and consistent people. But still chasing my goal for top 16 in NA 😭🥶. Dang this 99.9999999999% percentile is rough lol. I live in New Jersey now, I changed my address in PSN but it's still reflecting my old address in Delaware (and the first should be 2nd because I found out windfire also lives in NJ.......maybe I should leave the Delaware address 🤷‍♂️).

Last edited:
Dang this 99.9999999999% percentile is rough lol.
Tell me about it...my initial goal this season was to just get over 200 points for 4 races, with a bonus goal of being #1 in Michigan. Instead I constantly found myself in contention for 230+, and while I had the one-lap pace to qualify close to you and others at the front in Nation's 2nd Split, I still can't sustain the pace you can without making silly mistakes, and that led to A LOT of frustration and missed opportunities this season. I'm still happy with my final result though.

I posted a replay of my best FP lap on GTS Community. All comments and critiques are welcome.
OK, here we go. Again, I'm usually close to your pace so maybe a quicker driver should advice instead, but I'll give it a try. First impression, it seems faster than the laptime suggests. I didn't put any time into TT, but I did a 55.5 with tyre wear on, so I believe I could have managed a high 54 in TT. Your time is slower, yet you don't do things that differently...
  • T1: All good. If you hit the apex a bit more, it helps rotate faster, and you could have been a bit more aggressive on throttle at the exit, but it was fine.
  • T2: Here I was staying in 2nd gear. I was taking your same tight line, but I think you overslowed the car there. I was carrying more speed into the apex, running over or close to the entry kerb and putting the right wheels over the green astro at the exit. You carried too little speed and had a lot of extra track available.
  • T3/T4: I was braking a bit later, more in an angle and apexing a bit later than you, which allows you to get on the throttle earlier and get a better line into T4. You made T4 a little too tight for yourself and had to back out of the throttle at the exit. I'm sure your T3 is faster than mine, but compromising it for better exit speed out of T4 more than makes up for it as a straight follows.
  • T5/T6: I don't see anything wrong there. I think I was carrying a little bit more speed into the corners though as it seemed like you almost made them easily, I was understeering to the edge of the track, but they were fine.
  • T7 (hairpin): I was braking later and aiming directly for the inside and keeping it much tighter. Seemed better with the 911 that way, I think your line obliged you to steer too much, sliding and scrubbing off too much speed.
  • T8/T9 (Schumacher S): I think you took that better than I was doing, no advice I can give there.
  • T10: Good one there. I think I was using the entry kerb which allows you to be a bit less hesitant on the exit, but it was fine.
  • T11: Perfect. I was usually sliding more than you there.
  • T13/T14 (chicane): I was doing that in 2nd gear for safety. Entry line was perfect, but I believe you overslowed a bit, so you could have been a lot more aggressive with your line into the second bit, making the chicane straighter and carrying more speed to the exit.
  • T15: Here I think you were asking a little bit too much from the tyres and induced a slide. I think you were trailing the brake too deep into the corner. Sure that one was just a small mistake.
Hope it helps. I don't feel quick enough to advice, but at least it's what was working for me. 😄 Unfortunately, I didn't save any TT laps. Could share my fastest lap from the race (mid 56) but it wasn't a particularly good one, hehe.

Edit: on what we discussed earlier on smooth inputs, on that lap, you weren't overdriving at all. Maybe it was a bit too conservative instead. In general, overslowing the car, not using all the track available and being a tad hesitant on the throttle. I'm sure anyone quicker than us could say the same about any of our laps, however. 😅 Driving techniques such as racing line, trail braking, etc. are all sound though!

Last edited:
  • My WORST counted score this season (232) was better than my BEST score in last year's official season (216)
Nice, the evolution is impressive over 1 year. What would you say are the reasons behind that? Did you change anything or is it just "natural improvement" over time ?

Last edited:
OK, here we go. Again, I'm usually close to your pace so maybe a quicker driver should advice instead, but I'll give it a try. First impression, it seems faster than the laptime suggests. I didn't put any time into TT, but I did a 55.5 with tyre wear on, so I believe I could have managed a high 54 in TT. Your time is slower, yet you don't do things that differently...
  • T1: All good. If you hit the apex a bit more, it helps rotate faster, and you could have been a bit more aggressive on throttle at the exit, but it was fine.
  • T2: Here I was staying in 2nd gear. I was taking your same tight line, but I think you overslowed the car there. I was carrying more speed into the apex, running over or close to the entry kerb and putting the right wheels over the green astro at the exit. You carried too little speed and had a lot of extra track available.
  • T3/T4: I was braking a bit later, more in an angle and apexing a bit later than you, which allows you to get on the throttle earlier and get a better line into T4. You made T4 a little too tight for yourself and had to back out of the throttle at the exit. I'm sure your T3 is faster than mine, but compromising it for better exit speed out of T4 more than makes up for it as a straight follows.
  • T5/T6: I don't see anything wrong there. I think I was carrying a little bit more speed into the corners though as it seemed like you almost made them easily, I was understeering to the edge of the track, but they were fine.
  • T7 (hairpin): I was braking later and aiming directly for the inside and keeping it much tighter. Seemed better with the 911 that way, I think your line obliged you to steer too much, sliding and scrubbing off too much speed.
  • T8/T9 (Schumacher S): I think you took that better than I was doing, no advice I can give there.
  • T10: Good one there. I think I was using the entry kerb which allows you to be a bit less hesitant on the exit, but it was fine.
  • T11: Perfect. I was usually sliding more than you there.
  • T13/T14 (chicane): I was doing that in 2nd gear for safety. Entry line was perfect, but I believe you overslowed a bit, so you could have been a lot more aggressive with your line into the second bit, making the chicane straighter and carrying more speed to the exit.
  • T15: Here I think you were asking a little bit too much from the tyres and induced a slide. I think you were trailing the brake too deep into the corner. Sure that one was just a small mistake.
Hope it helps. I don't feel quick enough to advice, but at least it's what was working for me. 😄 Unfortunately, I didn't save any TT laps. Could share my fastest lap from the race (mid 56) but it wasn't a particularly good one, hehe.

Edit: on what we discussed earlier on smooth inputs, on that lap, you weren't overdriving at all. Maybe it was a bit too conservative instead. In general, overslowing the car, not using all the track available and being a tad hesitant on the throttle. I'm sure anyone quicker than us could say the same about any of our laps, however. 😅 Driving techniques such as racing line, trail braking, etc. are all sound though!
Thanks! That's fantastic feedback and generous of you to provide all that.

I do think I'm 'plenty smooth' and as you noted a few times, if anything... I am too smooth. From real-world experience, I do like to float the front end in smoothly, let it take hold, then work the front axle with throttle inputs on the rear, and the game's physics model doesn't seem to reward that, at the same time that you simply can't get that 'feel' in a commercial sim with simple equipment like a G29.

The game seems to prefer bigger inputs on entry (think: young Fernando Alonso) and I also see on replays of top drivers that they are working the wrong axle with bigger chunks of deeper steering slip angles than I force, especially on the RSR. I scratch my head because it looks like they are working with more grip on the front axle than I feel is available when I'm driving at 9/10 or 10/10!

I really wish the game had some data acquisition tools... like iRacing. I'd love to see the differences in throttle/brake traces (to catch things like you noted where I may have trailed too late into a couple of the turns) and steering angles (to confirm my suspicion noted above).

It's all a little frustrating because your feedback confirms what I thought... I'm not doing things much differently or noticeably 'wrong' compared to faster drivers. But at places like NGP and Fuji I just get eaten alive, while at other tracks I can 'hang'. I guess I may be running out of talent! But I also have to be realistic that I don't practice nearly as much as a lot of the high A and A+ drivers, but given that I know what I'm doing in a real car, I get frustrated that I cannot convert that to faster pace in the game.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nice, the evolution is impressive over 1 year. What would you say are the reasons behind that? Did you change anything or is it just "natural improvement" over time ?
Honestly, I wish I could pinpoint it, because that would probably help me find even more pace, but I do think it's just "natural improvement". If I had to guess on what areas I improved in, it was probably being able to predict the car's behavior in corners better, and also taking better lines on corner entry.

So for awhile I was stuck as a B rated driver for the longest time. I did have a bit of Mopar-syndrome when someone hit me but I was mostly clean overall. Then the Lewis Hamilton challenge came out and it completely made me change how to drive a car and getting the most out of it. Sure enough my DR started to skyrocket. Also a lot of leagues and "spec" racing for the most part helped me minimize mistakes, clubs such as SNAIL and GBRC. @Mistah_MCA videos came on late for me but also helped me a lot, particularly on strategies and how to flip the script so to speak if the opportunity presented itself.

But as @GTWolverine said it's self improvement. Watching what others do, try to practice it and imply it to my arsenal. Knowing when to attack or just let the faster guy go by and hang onto their bumper. There's an awful lot that goes into this. And now that Gran Turismo is recognized as a virtual Olympic sport....... SRS BZNS BrO!

Just got a chance to have a look. I'm no alien, but I feel like I have gotten a good handle on this particular combo. My best FP time was a 56 dead, so take this as intended and with a grain of salt.

My observations;

Your fundamentals are good. You don't make any big mistakes and your lines are generally excellent. You probably brake a bit too long in a lot of places and choose lower gears than necessary. A detailed turn by turn critique is below.

T1, could be tighter to the apex for extra rotation, but other than that pretty darn good.
T2, hold 2nd. You're losing heaps of time through engine braking there.
T3 and 4, you were braking too deep into t3 and then turning too shallow into t4. you can just let the car coast in 1st, take a later apex in t4 and then get on the power and not lift.
T5 text book.
T6 Hold 2nd gear and use all of the track on exit. You lose a big chunk of time here.
T7 (Hairpin) you can delay shifting down to 1st a bit and take a bit tighter line. Not a major flaw
T8 and 9 (esses) really good. If you get the line absolutely perfect you don't need to lift, but you are so close it's not funny.
T10, Hold 3rd if you can and get your left wheels on the green stuff.
T11, Again, hold 3rd if you can. Exit was great.
Chicane; you brake a bit too long. You can lift off the brakes at turn in and hold 2nd gear. This one gains you A LOT of time.
Final turn: Take exactly the same line but hold 2nd gear to avoid that tail stepping out.

RX-V feels good. Got no pace in this field. Starting 18/20. Just need 32points to grab P1 in the standings. We'll see what happens with the other MAzda players.

Edit: Better than I expected. Pitted lap 1 for RS. Undercut everyone up to P5. Started to fall back just when the starting top 10 made their pit stops.
P5 passed me cleanly at T1, as I left room. P6 tries to squeeze in. Just wait another corner!
Anyway, he's loose for the next few corners. See? Just wait and settle in.
Knuckleheads in P8 & P9, fighting for position and trying to knock me out the way.
Pace was dropping on the last two laps but P10-12 were fighting. Gap stayed as it was for those last laps.
IMG_20210626_194820.jpg

IMG_20210626_194826.jpg

My 60pts should drop and leave me about 50-60 for P1 in my area. Provided P1 and P3 don't score more points tonight.
I'm done.

Last edited:
Well I think I'm 1 and done 155 for 8th had a bad first lap after doing a better time in qualifying than I managed in practice to qualify 8th. Started on the mediums keeping good pace with the 4-5 cars Infront. Whatever car I was following up the hill through the sweeper clipped the inside wall and I was right behind and hit him with nowhere to go giving me a 1 second penalty. I Then got mobbed into the second last corner and into T1 on lap 2 end up in 18th and start to make my way back up should have stopped a lap earlier for the softs to get out of traffic but wasn't sure they would go the distance.

Came out in 10th and made a couple of spots. An Nsx caught me on the second last lap and I let him go down the main straight up the inside and put myself in his slipstream for the long 'straight' he went defensive and I managed to keep my nose in on his right all the way up the hill backed out early with him on the wrong line for the fast left and managed a better run and up the inside for the next corner. Managed to get the power down well enough to stay in front at the line by .028 of a second to finish 8th.

Could go again but there is F1 and tour de France to watch. Have fun for the last round everyone.

Just got a chance to have a look. I'm no alien, but I feel like I have gotten a good handle on this particular combo. My best FP time was a 56 dead, so take this as intended and with a grain of salt.

My observations;

Your fundamentals are good. You don't make any big mistakes and your lines are generally excellent. You probably brake a bit too long in a lot of places and choose lower gears than necessary. A detailed turn by turn critique is below.

T1, could be tighter to the apex for extra rotation, but other than that pretty darn good.
T2, hold 2nd. You're losing heaps of time through engine braking there.
T3 and 4, you were braking too deep into t3 and then turning too shallow into t4. you can just let the car coast in 1st, take a later apex in t4 and then get on the power and not lift.
T5 text book.
T6 Hold 2nd gear and use all of the track on exit. You lose a big chunk of time here.
T7 (Hairpin) you can delay shifting down to 1st a bit and take a bit tighter line. Not a major flaw
T8 and 9 (esses) really good. If you get the line absolutely perfect you don't need to lift, but you are so close it's not funny.
T10, Hold 3rd if you can and get your left wheels on the green stuff.
T11, Again, hold 3rd if you can. Exit was great.
Chicane; you brake a bit too long. You can lift off the brakes at turn in and hold 2nd gear. This one gains you A LOT of time.
Final turn: Take exactly the same line but hold 2nd gear to avoid that tail stepping out.
Thanks again to you for the Excellent feedback. I’ve taken away a few common themes including that my trail braking is too deep (and correspondingly I need to extend the coasting phase of my turn-in and drive onto apex… I just really struggle without that g-force to help me feel the cars weight transfer in that critical phase, which is key to me in driving IRL, so I think I try to be “doing something” braking or throttle at all times)

NGP in Gr3 brings out the worst in my deficiencies as it relies on really optimized entry, apex lines and exits so I guess it was a real test. Similar to Interlagos which might be the only track that I’m worse at. It’s odd because I’m actually pretty fast at Suzuka, which is not unlike those, except it is a little more forgiving in the hard braking zones.

Really appreciate the help. Encouraging input as well as some things to work on that make sense to me. Cheers.

Qualified well in P6 and decided to start on the soft tyres, this was a mistake. Pitted on lap 8 for the mediums on lap 8. Some great racing though for P8 and P10 for me. A small mistake and some penalties for lightly tapping people cost me, seriously it was a light tap and nothing happened. 88 points, one and done for me as usual.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210626150140.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210626154250.jpg

In classic GT Sport style I've finally achieved my dream of a 200+ point result, in the strongest FIA lobby I've ever been in, and I'm not even happy. Started 6th, started on mediums and probably shouldn't have. Did a 25:53 which was behind the mistake-filled solo runs I was doing in the 25:40 range. I'm going again, I'm qualifying high and I'm running away.

Only had 20 or so minutes to practice the car and track. So wasn't 100% on where to push and in the end I think that was a good thing.
Set a time for P3 on my first run despite messing up T1 in my view. I was up by a few tenths on lap 2 only to loose them on the last hairpin and only end up 0.07 faster and stayed P3. I'll take that with the little running I had.
No divebombs on the start, good. However the AMG ahead wobbled out of T1 so I went under and grabbed the place. I got close to P1 up the hill but that was it and they were gone after that. They pulled ahead by 5 seconds by my stop on lap 8; about the same margin to those behind which was now a Spaniard. Came out in P5 behind an M6. They must have been so happy to get me coming out of the pits they forgot to be gentle on the throttle and copied the AMG lap 1 to which I did a carbon copy move underneath. I was back in P2 after it all shook out. However the Spaniard was on the contra strategy and was now quicker. It became a race of could I get to the finish before he caught me whilst driving to keep the Lambo's suicidal tendencies to a minimum. Some laps he only caught me by a few tenths. Others it was more. Lap 13 and the random oversteer decided to kick in and lost me a second or more before it settled. Last lap and he was now in slip. T1 and they were better on the brakes as they appeared in my radar before settling half a second back. I seemed to have a bit of an advantage through the church corner and I was hoping this would keep him at bay up the hill. I didn't loose time in the end through the corner but he would obviously gain in the slip. By the crest he was 0.4 behind so I should be safe and covered the middle to ward him off. Nope in comes the divebomb. Just as I turn in he appears like a Star Destroyer coming out of Hyperspace. A little annoyed I flash my lights not that he cares. Thankfully I'm not spun or put onto the grass. I cross the line P3.
20210626_154335.jpg

All in all I'm happy with P3 and my highest points of the season. However it could have been P2 if I was given a chance to defend the last corner without being barged aside a couple of corners beforehand which put a tarnish on a good race driving wise up to that point. He wasn't close enough to dive, I had covered it off and was turning. He could easily have ruined my race with the move as he's hitting a car which is highly unpredictable at the best of times. I let him know I wasn't happy with his move or the thinking behind it afterwards. Apart from 1 mini attempt at a slide the car behaved herself very well. Seems the end of the season in both championships has been rewarding. Time for the mini break.

So I went in on the first slot, was on a B/S grid given that my alt account is in the B/S rank so going to this race I really didn't expect much because of how I fear that my RCZ may not have enough power on the high speed sections of Sardegna A especially if the grid has a McLaren F1 GTR and other power centric Gr.3 cars but luckily there isn't much and no McLaren F1 GTR on the grid too but there's still some power centric cars I encountered such as the Ford GT LM Spec II, Mercedes AMG GT3, GR Supra RC, F Type Gr.3, etc. to worry about.

Qualifying went alright but I was a bit bummed when I missed out on pole position by just 0.021 seconds. If only I had a tow going on, I would probably be in pole position but it is what it is.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210626230436.png

Race starts then I think I may have done the biggest send I have ever attempted in my experience of doing online racing because this felt like a huge risk but it paid off but at the same time I ended up making the pole sitter go into the sand. I apologized to him post race and he didn't mind it. Feel free to judge on what I did.

With the pole sitter sadly going to the sand, it was between me and the Genesis Gr.3 driver and I must say that me and the Genesis driver traded blows at each other but the latter had the power advantage against my RCZ. I was able to make it up for it with the handling capabilities that the RCZ has and it resulted in a couple of overtakes that went well to plan.

Things were neck and neck until the Genesis along with the Ford GT that managed to regain ground after going to the sand went to the pits for a new set of mediums and that's where I'm able to break away from the two drivers. While I was doing another lap of softs before pitting, I noticed that the Genesis and Ford GT drivers got caught up with the other drivers that haven't fitted yet for a new set of tires so it slows them down and that allowed me to gain more breathing room by pushing my RCZ to its limits until I boxed for a new set of mediums and from there, it was smooth sailing to another FIA race win. It's also my first win in a non-Porsche car.

20210626232428.jpg

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210626230509.png

Overall this race really cemented that Peuegot is my secondary strong manufacturer given how I'm used to driving both RCZs. Looking forward to drive the two RCZs again in the next stage or so.

Had a stab at the final FIA race. Qualifying went well in the first lap, sitting Q4, but then I stuffed up the second lap and everyone else got their form sorted and I ended up Q10.

Race went okay, finding myself in P5 after 3 laps, but then got hustled and ended up with a 1s penalty for running wide at the hairpin at the top of the hill?! From there I spent the rest of the race trying to limit my place loss. Pitted end of lap 8 on the RS tyres and swapped to the RM for the remainder of the race. Got myself into P8 on the final lap but poorly defended that same hairpin I had a penalty on earlier and the Beetle I'd been battling slipped by and stole P8 back. P9 to the finish.

Interestingly, the leader ran the entire race on one compound and pitted at the end of the final lap! I'll need to go back and check which tyres he used, but that just seems like a mad tactic to me, and unsure how it can count if you cross the line in the pits.... ??

Anyway, 63 points to finish up the season. I'll wait til tomorrow to check my total points haul for the season. My first full manufacturers season, and all done with the F-Type Jags - unsure if I will take part in the next one and which manufacturer I might choose if I do.

Back