Fight club: the o so beautiful fight club

Messages
1,262
Another great movie that hasn't been recognized on the boards.:dunce: This movie is awesome, one of few movies I would watch over and over again. Love the message it sends about corperations, and pretty boy Brad Pitt is just awesome. This movie is not too old so those who hate old cinematography shouldn't over look this film cause it's like 6 years old. That doesn't sound like a lot, but technology moves on, so you can never tell what the standard really is.

I give this movie
maulhood.gif
maulhood.gif
maulhood.gif
maulhood.gif
maulhood.gif
 
Maybe not on the "boards", but the film was definitely recognized. I do own it on DVD, and agree the re-play value is very high. I can't say it's my favorite movie though, Se7en(same director and star) was way better IMO. :)

Edit:
I think you broke the first couple of rules of the Fight Club. :sly:
 
This is a great movie that bears watching many times.

The scene where Pitt takes a checkout clerk at a 7/11 and puts a gun to his head is, perhaps bizarrely, one of the most inspiring pieces of cinema I've ever seen. If ever I'm feeling down and unmotivated that is the film that I watch... 👍
 
Nice 'tar Eddie.

This is one that I own, and I've watched multiple times. I had a friend that watched it and she made it about halfway through and gave up. Not her "style". I asked if she made it to the twist in the plot. She hadn't. I told her to rewatch it and bear it until she gets to the twist.

She asked "how will I know if I see the plot twist?" "oh... You'll know."

The next day she said she watched it twice. First as a movie, then a second time to pick up the clues and understand the twist.

Every time I watch it, I try to understand it more. Great film. One of the best plot twists in any movie I've seen.
 
a6m5
I think you broke the first couple of rules of the Fight Club. :sly:


- you beat me to it! - does that mean we should get a 'Mod' to lock the thread?
 
👍 Thanks Der Alta, that scene cracked me up, so I had to have it... :)

Helena Bonham-Carter was excellent in it. No surprise really: I don't think I've ever seen her do a role badly... :cool:
 
TheCracker
- you beat me to it! - does that mean we should get a 'Mod' to lock the thread?
Probably depends on if the mod is a Fight Club member or not..... :nervous: :D
 
I couldnt watch it over & over. But Fight Club has got to be one of my fav films ever.

Plus the twist was so subtle & cleverly done i dont think anyone saw it coming.
 
a6m5
Maybe not on the "boards", but the film was definitely recognized. I do own it on DVD, and agree the re-play value is very high. I can't say it's my favorite movie though, Se7en(same director and star) was way better IMO. :)

Edit:
I think you broke the first couple of rules of the Fight Club. :sly:

Damn,*pulls down pants* I guess you can chop them off then. Just put something in my mouth to bite down on.
 
Fight Club is pretty awesome, the twist completely blew my mind. I listened to The Pixies' Where is My Mind? nonstop for like 2 days after watching it.
 
i loved it. i could almost name it as my favorite but ive seen so many movies its hard to narrow down. the only thing that pissed me off is before i got to see it, a friend told me the twist. otherwise i think the impact of the ending would have been equal to the ending on saw.
 
I think the reason the twist in this was so clever, was that you wernt really expecting one. It was just a Dark drama, until the "oh" moment when you realise the truth.
I think the twist in Saw is slightly better. Its certainly more clever and hasnt really been done before.
 
I own it and I like it a lot.

I don't know that it really sends out a message about corporations. But it does send out a message about priorities... about your life and how you spend it... what you consider important. Understanding the lows so that you can appreciate the highs.

It's about feeling alive, rather than simply going through the motions. I think the line from the movie "How embarrassing - a house full of condiments and no food" illustrates that quite nicely.
 
I love it it kicks ass!!!

The mental side to it is really intresting and bring an extra side to the movie.

I got it on 2disc DVD and still watch it to this very day.

P.s. Kinda off topic but if you do like the psychological stuff, check out "The Butterfly Effect"
 
Perhaps one of the most interesting things about this movie is how misunderstood it is. Lots of people see the criminal activities going on in the movie and think that the movie is about lawlessness. They see the main character having trouble coping in society, and how the "Fight Club" rebels against society. They think that this is some sort of movie about how we should all exist in these kinds of dictator-like tribes or how society is bad. The grande late' or clothes from the Gap or credit card companies are bad. "Deliver me from sweedish furniture" or whatever it is the Tyler says is not about sweedish furniture being bad - it's about him being delivered from caring about the unimportant things in life. That's why one of the first things that happens in the movie is that all of the "worldly posessions" are removed. They're distractions. The whole start of the movie is about getting down to basics. It's about focusing on what is important in life on existance itself... it's about the main character learning who he is and experiencing his life completely.

It's not until much later that the main character realizes the careful line between experiencing the lows in life and thereby feeling alive, and harming others.

People might also mistake the harsh things that the guy says about the insurance company he works for to be anti-insurance company. But really it's focused on removing you from the reality of the situation. It shows how the main character has learned not to feel... hence the whole episode with the support groups. But the support groups aren't good enough because he's feeling vicariously.

It's funny that it's so misunderstood because really the movie is very focused in its presentation of the problem and the solution... and the natural end to the violence is love - which is also illustrated quite nicely.
 
In the U.S., you can see the problems with excessive materialism, and most of us are guilty of it IMO. Mine would be DVDs, basketball cards, perhaps even my car. Message I got from the "Fight Club" is don't get distracted(borrowing word from danoff) by those things.
 
For some reason the first time I saw it, I loved it, but after that, it get to me a little...the dirtyness and filth they live in, the nasty women...it just reaks of something I wouldn't want. No matter how "free" it made or makes them.
 
TwinTurboJay
For some reason the first time I saw it, I loved it, but after that, it get to me a little...the dirtyness and filth they live in, the nasty women...it just reaks of something I wouldn't want. No matter how "free" it made or makes them.
I agree with you there. :lol: I love David Fincher(director), but three movies of his I know are all in "dirty" settings. Ailien 3(his first film, I belive), Se7en(one of the best films, I've ever seen) and Fight Club. :yuck:
 
a6m5
Message I got from the "Fight Club" is don't get distracted(borrowing word from danoff) by those things.

...and don't look for meaning in those things.

"You are not your ****ing kakis"
 
TwinTurboJay
For some reason the first time I saw it, I loved it, but after that, it get to me a little...the dirtyness and filth they live in, the nasty women...it just reaks of something I wouldn't want. No matter how "free" it made or makes them.

She had nice boobs.👍
 
It came on TV a couple of days ago but i didnt enjoy it much because people were in and out of the room and kept asking me questions so i didnt quite get the message or get the story much. Ive borrowed the DVD and am probally gonna watch it again at the weekend.
 
Back