Phototravel: Yes, any
Explanation: --

tournamentrules.jpg

General Rules:

This poll is multiple choice.

You must vote for one photo.
Recheck your vote before you submit.
Make sure all your vote is correct.
If you pay attention to what you are doing, this should not be a problem.
Do not vote for your own entry.
Do not vote for the match's title.
If you vote/do not vote for your match's competitor, it will not be counted against you or your competitor.
The poll will last for 3 days.
Good luck to everyone!

The winner will be overall PmC champion.

Yep... I'm going to get completely owned. I'm not happy with what I've come up with.

Very nice entry, Moglet. And a beautiful clean up. It's funny how we both decided to create a motion shot out of phototravel. :) Nice job on the wheel blur, too.

Both are very good to be honest, and share some similarities.
The Cuda has very good colour presentation. Kinda reminds me some Japanese closeup photography with pets. Reflection and blur have not met the best effort yet, but the overall appearance is rather pleasing.
Gullwing has nice, less complicated reflection to show good cleanup work. Outstanding details that worth 👍👍 Car colour is a bit dull comparing to the background and the blur transition on the bamboo leaves a lot to be desired.

Had to go with Jaco's Cuda!

The overall image is just so amazing; the colors, the blur, the cleaning. Such a fantastic piece of work! Nice try on a curved blur as well, you pulled it off nicely! 👍

Moglet's entry is a very nice one also, but as franz said; the car's color is rather dull and the fading of the background is kinda way too harsh.

Great job you two! 👍

Both are very good to be honest, and share some similarities.
The Cuda has very good colour presentation. Kinda reminds me some Japanese closeup photography with pets. Reflection and blur have not met the best effort yet, but the overall appearance is rather pleasing.
Gullwing has nice, less complicated reflection to show good cleanup work. Outstanding details that worth 👍👍 Car colour is a bit dull comparing to the background and the blur transition on the bamboo leaves a lot to be desired.

The cleanliness of the cuda is impeccable! Beautiful really. The curved blur was a great touch too and is nicely executed. There is certainly a lot of saturated colors too but I think it could also be a little overwhelming/scattered? I think the muted gray of the SL compliments the greens in Mog's image fairly well. The subtle browns in front also fit the scheme - Its "mature."

I could go either way on the paint being flattened or more reflective but i do wonder what it would have been like if it was glossy.

The blur transition is a little harsh But I think it was/is a very great way to tackle a zoom blur and retain more detail in the distance.

Judging by the comments so far, I should have deserted composition and colour balance and just gone for 'how well the image has been edited'. What the hell happened to photographic merit as opposed to who's the best at Photoshop? 👎

I'm going to be brutally honest here; Jaco's entry looks to me like a green car plonked amongst a mash of random colours with some good editing and a good blur applied. Place that car where it is without the blur and it's just a car in a colourful place. Is that really what makes a good photo these days? The car is centered, the background is distracting and it doesn't go well together as an overall image. Sorry if that sounds harsh Jaco but I'm genuinely confused as to why I'm getting absolutely hammered here. Apply things like the rule of 3rds and you can start to see what I mean.

Anyway, well done on the win.

EDIT: I'm not just saying that because I'm losing either. 3 votes? Come on, I know it's bad but jesus.... Jaco's last entry was jawdroppingly good. This isn't of the same standard at all.

Last edited:
Moglet: Composition-wise, I like your entry better. Editing on car, you win. The problem is the gullwing fails to immerse the bamboo scene to make it standout. I would consider less blur on the bamboo and convert everything in B&W.

The reason why I pick Jacoja's, because it has good colour presentation. I think this editing isn't even close to his previous entries in this tournament, but it does look better as a whole.

This is not about how well one can edit, but it is about how well one can put together.

I voted before reading any of this thread to avoid any swaying in my opinion and of others. Very, very tough decision here. In the end I went for Moglet's. Overall, I felt his represented something more unique with both car choice, location, and editing style with the blurring. jacoja's is very well done, beautiful color's, terrific editing, but when all is said and done I think Moglet's entry has more emotion with it. I felt the color choice was perfect considering the car and location. Either one of these are worthy of being winners in any comp we've ever had on this site and kudo's to you both for not only doing great on these photos but keeping GT4 photomode alive and well after all these years. Can't wait to see what you guys bring with GT5!

Judging by the comments so far, I should have deserted composition and colour balance and just gone for 'how well the image has been edited'. What the hell happened to photographic merit as opposed to who's the best at Photoshop? 👎

I'm going to be brutally honest here; Jaco's entry looks to me like a green car plonked amongst a mash of random colours with some good editing and a good blur applied. Place that car where it is without the blur and it's just a car in a colourful place. Is that really what makes a good photo these days? The car is centered, the background is distracting and it doesn't go well together as an overall image. Sorry if that sounds harsh Jaco but I'm genuinely confused as to why I'm getting absolutely hammered here. Apply things like the rule of 3rds and you can start to see what I mean.

Anyway, well done on the win.

EDIT: I'm not just saying that because I'm losing either. 3 votes? Come on, I know it's bad but jesus.... Jaco's last entry was jawdroppingly good. This isn't of the same standard at all.

To a good degree I can understand where you are coming from on this (and in your thread) but I wonder what you found in his last entry that is not present here. The one great innovative thing background wise applied in his last entry was the editing of the trees so that it seemed like the sky was visible behind them.

Not allthe time does the rule of 3rd's guarantee the best or most interesting composition. It certainly was not something applied in his last shot. There was movement in the image thanks to the red paint and the track signage being nearly identical along with the sky-lit sections of the background but composition wise it was very centered. The front end was breaking into that 3rd section of the image but that is almost happening here as well. The shot was very much an editing masterpiece.

The faux pas here was that for some of us the colors were a bit too much and don't mesh with the color of the car as much. If the background was darkened and muted just a little it might have been fairly different and it would not be competing as much with the foreground. The close and almost wide angle has a very in your face feel which commands attention. Also i think the action and use of the curved blur was fitting and well, but not over done. We don't see it too often but in this particular instance, it does not see like too much of a gimmick.

I agree that we are loosing a bit of focus on what makes good photography recently but some people haven't been trained to see these things. Your entry is awesome (despite however distracted you were) as I expressed earlier. I say take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Mog, I see what you mean, and I completely agree with you. Which is why I added these comments on my entry before/after submitting;

Yep... I'm going to get completely owned. I'm not happy with what I've come up with.
I feel as though I didn't spend as much time as I wanted to on my entry, and I'm not all that satisfied with the editing.

The reason of why the car is more centred in the middle of the shot than usual is because of a headlight glitch(?). If I made the image portrait, or even shifted the landscape frame so that the car was not centred... then the game added an annoying headlight glow which ruined the shot. As I wanted a wide angle picture, this was the only real decent position I had to choose.

I tried to go for a picture like this because I do not want to be seen as too predictable. Lately all my pictures have been somewhat similar. They all have a mature tone and precise editing. I always want to continue trying different techniques to see how people respond (even at risk to losing the final round).

Keep it in your mind that if I win this tournament, I’ll hand the trophy over to you. I basically rushed my entry and chose to edit the only picture I had time to take... added some pretty colours, and won the votes. Your photo is much better as an actual photo, and I have feelings for it.

I'm also very surprised by the votes, but thanks to those who voted for my shot anyway.

Just to make it clear, I judge entries like this on which stands out the most, which shows the most creativity, which appears to have the most unified theme and composition, and which basically looks the best overall. I don't care if a shot is following the rules of composition if I feel the shot is otherwise lacking in the other areas.

Let's start with jacoja:
Pow! That's what I think when I see this shot at full size. The bright lights and neon colors of the background and even the car bring a feeling of excitement and energy to the picture that really stands out.

As far as creativity, I'll just say I'm glad to see that you didn't focus on those annoying little light beams that flow around that whole setting, as I see in many other pictures. In that aspect, very original. The perfectly centered car however is a little boring perhaps, though I think the wide angle still helps it feel like more of a slant.

Like I said, I see a common theme here of pizazz and fun, and it really looks like it comes together. I don't see a problem with the colorful background. Considering the color of the 'Cuda, it would take a whole lot more color to make the background seem distracting. :lol:

As for Moglet:
Smooth. A very sexy car cruising through the bamboo. Looks very relaxed yet still with a sense of speed and urgency. Very different from your opponent's, but not in a bad way.

Creativity, well, it seems a bit recycled. I feel like I've seen this type of blur and angle a thousand times by now, but I suppose there's not many choices in this setting. I will say that I didn't expect a shot like that to be taken at this setting. Usually it's a city of an actual track, so points for that.

This is where it kinda falls apart. Yeah it has rule of thirds, but where is the focal point?
For starters, the car is a very medium grey with low contrast between highlights and shadow. It just doesn't grab my attention. What does grab my attention is the background. Those bright green leaves and bright white sky, colors not found anywhere else in the picture, seem more distracting than any city backdrop. If you could have caught a reflection on the car, it may have been less so. Also, I can't avoid mentioning the spot just behind the car, in the left of the photo. That blur there: Sorry, it doesn't work. Grey-brown trees + blur = a muddy splotch with nothing interesting but still taking up a big chunk of the picture. Not to mention, I think the theme would have been more unified without or with less blur, giving it a more relaxed feel overall, though that would be limiting the options as far as editing.

Given all of that, I had to vote for jacoja. The shot is just more pleasant to look at than Moglet's, and I don't feel distracted by elements that just don't fit with the compostion. Overall, nice work to both, but jacoja's a clear winner to me. Sorry for the long post but I really want to share what I feel could really help both of you as artists. I strongly urge both of you to keep everyone's comments in mind to help you improve, so that when GT5 comes, we can have even more amazing shots to gawk at. :)

Thanks for the awesome post, dylansan 👍. Made me feel better about the shot I took.

Firstly, let me apologise for my rant yesterday. It was out of order and the only reason I posted it is because I'd had a bad day at work and my girlfriend was on my back about various things all day long.

Secondly, the car in my shot doesn't appear that muddy or dull on my screen which is probably why I'm confused about it losing so badly! On my monitor it's a nice pastel green colour, as the actual car would be, and it's balanced against the background by the darker shaded areas, which were 'burned' for that very reason. I actually desaturated it a lot as the original colour was too 'in your face' for the age of the car. The background blur was the one area that I did rush a lot, however. I just erased chunks of it instead of doing my usual several layered blur.

Jacoja, you don't have to hand anything over :lol: You won it fair and square! I may not like your shot much but I'm known for not really liking things that many other people like and vice versa. My taste in women, mostly :lol:

I hope GT5 gives us more exciting oppurtunities for photos. I do still also hope to see a return to composition though. Editing has taken center stage more recently and it's a shame.

Just to make it clear, I judge entries like this on which stands out the most, which shows the most creativity, which appears to have the most unified theme and composition, and which basically looks the best overall. I don't care if a shot is following the rules of composition if I feel the shot is otherwise lacking in the other areas.

:D, We both have kind of the same way of judging an image.

Both images are brutal, IMO.

Jacoja's entry is quite strong and I love how colorful and juvenile it looks. I don't get distracted by the background, not a single bit, in fact, what attracts me more are those beautiful and jaw-dropping headlights. I don't think the car is overly centered, or in other words, it's centered but not dead centered in frame. Maybe some crop would be demanding, but it would maybe kill the overall image.

Moglet's entry it's great, I like that pastel look of the car. As the car is quite dark and quite pastel like the background, the blur distracts me a bit. At least, it is were my eyes focus on. I can't say much about the abruptly-stooped-blur, since I've done quite similar thing, and know how difficult and time consuming it is to get it "flow" in those situations where there is a curve or an elevation change.

Composition wise, I don't quite see much of a difference between both. I mean, yeah, Moglet's entry is respecting the rule of thirds (I wouldn't say perfectly), but Jacoja's image has a quite clear (to me) and better focal point. In therms of color it's difficult to compare both, since one is more vibrant and juvenile and the other more mature.

Also, I have to disagree with Moglet here, saying that it's all about the editing, since to me, both are in par in therms of editing. In fact, not counting the blur of both images, Moglet's image is far better in therms of editing. More, the blur kind of throws me off in both images, so there is no clear advantage to one or another in edition therms.

In the overall, I ended voting for Jacoja, because it simply pleased my eye the most.

Wait, pastel green? :eek: I'm not seeing any green in the car and it's definitely not pastel. Which one of us needs to adjust his monitor? :confused:

Wait, pastel green? :eek: I'm not seeing any green in the car and it's definitely not pastel. Which one of us needs to adjust his monitor? :confused:

Probably me, it's not been adjusted from whatever Apple set it to :lol: But yeah on my screen it's a nice 'bean' green!

I voted for jaco, but someone thought neither of you were a match for Theme: Open - jacoja06 vs. Moglet

Probably me, it's not been adjusted from whatever Apple set it to :lol: But yeah on my screen it's a nice 'bean' green!

:lol: You're not totally wrong. The car has a kind of a pastel tint, that's for sure. But the color is far from the "bean" green. It's more like dark gray with shades of a greenish cyan. Unless you're talking about the blurred part, thats the one that looks like a "older" green bean.

A monitor calibration is in order for you. :scared: :P

I guess that’s the end of the Tournament then! Thank you very very much to everyone who voted for my entries in all of the tournament rounds (and indeed all tournaments). Although I don’t think I deserved to win this particular poll, I’ll take the trophy for all those years I’ve fought hard to take the win. All those times I’ve come runner-up, or missing out by a single vote. :)

I’m very happy to finish my final GT4 photocomp on a high note! :cheers: to everyone... and Mog for his brilliant entry.

I will see you all for the GT5 photomode competition, Week 1. 👍

Considering how far GT5 is, I really don't find it too improbable that we'll have another tourney before it comes. ;)

Four months is quite soon! But I really think on the build-up to GT5’s release, there will be very little activity on the GT4 forums.

Both were well deserving on the win. Congrats to both for such quality images and congrats to Jacoja for the win. I can't believe it is your first tournament win. Well done. 👍

Anyway who was the most successful in overall tournament wins?

Edit: Wow, it was Franz with a record of 4 Tournament wins in 10, one being in the PMC side. :eek:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back