Finally accomplished with SRF off!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nlmkiii
  • 4 comments
  • 923 views
Messages
73
Messages
Loxx101
Just a bit of a boost to myself and anyone trying to learn to drive without "cheat mode" as I like to call it.

2-3 days ago I posted that I just couldnt keep on the track with this setting off. I think I was lapped on about lap 5 of the Dream Car Championship, it just felt impossible to keep the car under control.

Well today I managed to come first at Tokyo in the Dream Car Championship (the only race I attempted) using a Zonda R, probably one of the trickiest cars to get to grips with without this setting!

So anyone who has tried, and feels like its impossible. If you stick at it you can do it, its a very very different driving experience to racing with SRF on, but its totally worth the effort, because the driving experience is ten times as fun, and 100 times as real!

The trickiest thing I came across when learning to race without SRF was accelerating spin outs. Particularly when turning and in the lower gears. After a while I realised though that every gear requires a different throttle pressure, say 35% for 2nd gear, 55% for 3rd gear, and this changes depending on whether, and how much you are turning.

Overall using SRF I had the throttle nailed to the ground about 90% of the time I was accelerating. I think that figure is closer to 10% without SRF.


Anyways, this thread is by no means a boast to say I'm pro or anything, I'm merely less of a complete newb now! But I do feel I've passed a milestone that is very difficult for a lot of people to get past, and I'd love to get more advice still, and would be willing to offer advice to anyone trying to get past this point too.

I'm smiling so much right now!
 
I've hardly ever used SRF. Only car i do use it on is my FGT(sometimes).
 
Just a bit of a boost to myself and anyone trying to learn to drive without "cheat mode" as I like to call it.

2-3 days ago I posted that I just couldnt keep on the track with this setting off. I think I was lapped on about lap 5 of the Dream Car Championship, it just felt impossible to keep the car under control.

Well today I managed to come first at Tokyo in the Dream Car Championship (the only race I attempted) using a Zonda R, probably one of the trickiest cars to get to grips with without this setting!

So anyone who has tried, and feels like its impossible. If you stick at it you can do it, its a very very different driving experience to racing with SRF on, but its totally worth the effort, because the driving experience is ten times as fun, and 100 times as real!

The trickiest thing I came across when learning to race without SRF was accelerating spin outs. Particularly when turning and in the lower gears. After a while I realised though that every gear requires a different throttle pressure, say 35% for 2nd gear, 55% for 3rd gear, and this changes depending on whether, and how much you are turning.

Overall using SRF I had the throttle nailed to the ground about 90% of the time I was accelerating. I think that figure is closer to 10% without SRF.


Anyways, this thread is by no means a boast to say I'm pro or anything, I'm merely less of a complete newb now! But I do feel I've passed a milestone that is very difficult for a lot of people to get past, and I'd love to get more advice still, and would be willing to offer advice to anyone trying to get past this point too.

I'm smiling so much right now!

The Zonda R is an annoying car. If you let the tail out a little it will overtake you. I drove Dream Car with it too and I managed ok until I came to Nurburgring 24h. It was wet and I kept spinning out. I was in last place and far away from the gang. I drove pretty good for a few sectors but still I lost half a second to the leader. I managed to overtake some of the slower cars but I think I ended up 3rd from the bottom.

What controller did you use?
 
Just a standard DS3. I'd love to pick up a wheel some time, but for now I cant justify buying one.
 
As you noticed, feathering the throttle and brake makes all the difference. Tuning your car will help with the spinning out too, adjust the toe and camber as well as the LSD.

Once you get the hang of all that, it's just as rewarding, I tell you.
 
Back