Finally getting a PS3/Questions.

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosckolove
  • 20 comments
  • 1,271 views
Messages
1,804
United States
Pennsylvania
Messages
dayofwar2009
Messages
PSN#2 Roob_OG
Ok so I am finally getting my own PS3 to play GT5. I have a few questions.

Here is a little info so you guys can better answer my questions.

I am getting the old fatty 40 gig PS3, with the original version of GT5 (no updates). The account I played on, is on a friends PS3, and it is updated to 2.09 from what I remember. I am only going to play GT5 and MW3 (original maps) and nothing else.

1.) Is the 40 gig big enough to handle GT5 + DLC/updates and MW3 updates/NO DLC?

2.) I think the best thing I can do to ensure there are no problems with data transfer is....... Go to my buddies house, update his version of the game to 2.10 and then load the data onto a USB drive. Then go to my house, put GT5 in and update to 2.10. Then load the save data from the USB stick. Is this correct/best? Or is there something better to ensure it goes smoothly.

3.) Roughly how long will it take to install the updates?

I think that is it.

Thanks in advance.
 
That should be a good amount for just two games, and the DLC additions. Expect about 2 to 3 hours download and installation time in total.

Updating his PS3's GT5 save and putting in on the USB will make no difference when you go into the next PS3. To my knowledge.
 
I just hear of people getting corrupted saves all the time during updates and such and think that having the data save and new PS3 on the same version would make that less likely.
 
1 - yes, but there's not going to be all that much space left for anything else.

2 - Game saves are not shareable (they are only usable with the PSN account they were created with)

3 - Depends. On my system, I did the game install plus all updates and it took less than an hour. Some people have reported it taking 2 to 4 hours to fully update. I've even heard claims of like 30 hours, but I find that hard to believe unless your PS3 is connected to dialup internet lol. I'd say just start the update process before going to sleep, and let it work overnight. That way, you're not actually waiting for it to finish.
 
1 - yes, but there's not going to be all that much space left for anything else.

2 - Game saves are not shareable (they are only usable with the PSN account they were created with)

3 - Depends. On my system, I did the game install plus all updates and it took less than an hour. Some people have reported it taking many hours to fully update. I've even heard claims of like 30 hours, but I find that hard to believe unless your PS3 is connected to dialup internet lol. I'd say just start the update process before going to sleep, and let it work overnight. That way, you're not actually waiting for it to finish.

I'm not transferring the game save to another account, Just another PS3. I plan on using the same account.

I should have specified... I have fiber optic internet. I usually get like 1.8 mb or better downloading torrents, from a crappy signal WiFi router. The PS3 will be hard wired.
 
Last edited:
I'm not transferring the game save to another account, Just another PS3. I plan on using the same account.

I should have specified... I have fiber optic internet. I usually get like 1.5 gig or better downloading torrents, from a crappy signal WiFi router. The PS3 will be hard wired.

1.5 gigs or mb? If its gigs, I'm coming to live with you. I can only get 3 mb in my area :d installation took me about 3 hours when I bought my ps3 about 2 weeks ago.
 
I could be wrong about that haha. I'll check.

Edit... Yea that was a dumb assumption. 1.8 MB.
 
Freaking fatty ps3's man, I went through 3 of them. Hope it lasts you

Have a slim now.
 
Thought you had a ps3. Anyways I have 11 gb of updates. For mw3 I have .4 gb/350 mb. The older models of ps3 are known for drive failure. Three people I know with fats all had to fix or send them in. For ps3s the slim is less likely to overheat. My has been through humidity without ac and the fans only went vtec once. Typically that model will be more expensive for the backwards compatibility with PS2 titles.
 
No I do not own one. Just play at a friends.

My buddy has an old fatty and it has never given him one problem. And we both play it entirely to much. Its gets left on for weeks at a time basically. I have only heard of one actually failing from people I know in life.

Drive as in hard drive?
 
1.) Is the 40 gig big enough to handle GT5 + DLC/updates and MW3 updates/NO DLC?

MW3 doesn't have much updates it's probably close to 20-40mb. So 40gb is good.

GT5 it has about 1.5gb of updates so I think it will work with your 40gb just fine and the installation of GT5 is around 5GB. I have a 320gb so I can't be sure I only download, download and download.

2.) I think the best thing I can do to ensure there are no problems with data transfer is....... Go to my buddies house, update his version of the game to 2.10 and then load the data onto a USB drive. Then go to my house, put GT5 in and update to 2.10. Then load the save data from the USB stick. Is this correct/best? Or is there something better to ensure it goes smoothly.

This is a good option, I haven't tried it myself but it might work its worth a shot.

3.) Roughly how long will it take to install the updates?

I have a good internet and if my memory serves me right it took me an hour and a half. But it could change for your situation depending how fast your internet is. Must be close to 2 hours now since they did a lot of updates recently.
 
Ok so I am finally getting my own PS3 to play GT5. I have a few questions.

Here is a little info so you guys can better answer my questions.

1.) Is the 40 gig big enough to handle GT5 + DLC/updates and MW3 updates/NO DLC?

2.) I think the best thing I can do to ensure there are no problems with data transfer is....... Go to my buddies house, update his version of the game to 2.10 and then load the data onto a USB drive. Then go to my house, put GT5 in and update to 2.10. Then load the save data from the USB stick. Is this correct/best? Or is there something better to ensure it goes smoothly.

3.) Roughly how long will it take to install the updates?

I think that is it.

Thanks in advance.

40 Gigs is good enough for just the 2 games.

You cannot backup Game Data files, only Save files. You wouldn't be able to back up your buddy's Game Data and load it onto your's.

Updates vary from connection to connection. I haven't done it myself but times estimate from 1-4 hours. Be prepared for a wait!
 
I have one guy whom has been through three fats. First yellow lighted. Second same. Third blu ray drive went. They finally sent him a slim. Slim vs fat is kind of like controller vs wheel. While both are good you know which is definitively better. There are times its been over 96 degrees in my room no ac, no window open, door closed(no exaggeration) playing for hours at a time. Then again you may buy a slim and overheats on the second day. Slim is also more power friendly. If you don't play ps2 games much don't even bother.

As for the hard drive it was as I said in my first post. Have no clue what those posts above me are talking about. 11 gb for gt5 and around 350 mb for mw3. If you are not going to hold off for a ps4 a large hard drive would be a good investment if you play a lot of games, have a movie collection, and have a lot of music.

The blu-ray drive is known to fail however I have no clue which model is more likely to have this problem. I believe it is the fat but my word means nothing for this part.
 
I have one guy whom has been through three fats. First yellow lighted. Second same. Third blu ray drive went. They finally sent him a slim. Slim vs fat is kind of like controller vs wheel. While both are good you know which is definitively better. There are times its been over 96 degrees in my room no ac, no window open, door closed(no exaggeration) playing for hours at a time. Then again you may buy a slim and overheats on the second day. Slim is also more power friendly. If you don't play ps2 games much don't even bother.

As for the hard drive it was as I said in my first post. Have no clue what those posts above me are talking about. 11 gb for gt5 and around 350 mb for mw3. If you are not going to hold off for a ps4 a large hard drive would be a good investment if you play a lot of games, have a movie collection, and have a lot of music.

The blu-ray drive is known to fail however I have no clue which model is more likely to have this problem. I believe it is the fat but my word means nothing for this part.

Are you trying to say that the slim is worse than phat? If yes, how? Because of size..?
 
Ok guys another quick question.. I have some DLC on my dayofwar2009 account (that i will continue using) and I was just hoping to confirm that it is possible to transfer DLC from ps3 to ps3. Isn't it like x3 download limit or something?

Basically this is kind of like someone's ps3 dying and transfering all the data to a new one, using the same PSN. All I have to do is re download the DLC and install it right?
 
You should be able to download ALL items you have purchased on PSN on a new PS3. I have yet to see an item on PSN that has a limit to the amount of times you can download it. Especially considering that the PSN will only allow you to purchase an item once.

However rather than doing it from the Playstation Store, after you have your PSN set up on the new PS3 go to account details > transaction history. It's a little easier that way.
 
With installing GT5 to the HD and adding all of the DLC, the game takes up about 11 GB.

That's only a little over a quarter of the size of your drive. You're fine. Relax. :)

Edit:

If you're using an account/game save that is not from the system that you will be using it on, I think you may have to start from scratch again.

I had to have my PS3 replaced and my game save did not transfer to the new system, even though I was using the same account.

One possibility is that my original account was with the original release of GT5 (a rental before my system fried) and I bought GT5 XL when I got my replacement system. I don't think the new disc was the reason though. I think PD does not allow anything to transfer.

Just thought that I would let you know this.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Fortunately I am using the same disc that the account was created on.
 
Ok guys another quick question.. I have some DLC on my dayofwar2009 account (that i will continue using) and I was just hoping to confirm that it is possible to transfer DLC from ps3 to ps3. Isn't it like x3 download limit or something?

Basically this is kind of like someone's ps3 dying and transfering all the data to a new one, using the same PSN. All I have to do is re download the DLC and install it right?

Yes, also you need to deactivate your buddy PS3 ( you account only ) - go to account management - System Activation. This will ensure PSN knows that your DLC tied to the account + buddy PS3 is now obsolete. When you have your own PS3, log in with your account, be sure to activate your PS3 to be able to access the DLC, no need to redownload the keys I think.

AFAIK, there's no download limit of keys, but usually it can only be activated on 5 PS3 or less at any one time.
 
^ I think that's where the limitation comes in. I think it has a limit to how many PS3's your PSN account can be active on at once time. If you are at that limit you'd not even be able to add your PSN account to a new PS3, let alone get on PSN and download things. But i have only ever had 2 PS3's with my PSN account on them at once so I can't say for sure.
 
It's actually funny, cause I bought a 'slim' PS3....And then all you guys are talking about a 'fat' PS3....How the hell is a 'Slim' one not fat? :D
 
Back