Finally got my motorcycle license...

United States
New Jersey
Finally got my motorcycle license after waiting a year and a half after my motorcycle class. I am looking to save about 2 grand for an older sport bike. I want between a 500 and 600 cc and like I said older, like 90's. I am looking at gixxers and ninjas and other comparable bikes. Any input on good, reliable, fun sport bikes and whAtto look for? I know my way around cars but bikes are a new thing for me.

Well the '98 Gixxer I rode was good. And it didn't seem like it had any real issues while my friend owned it. But as I have noticed that the newer you can get the better. So really, the newest bike for the least amount of cash is your best bet.

A lot of bikes in that age group have not been well maintained. Maintenance is expensive, and guys who can barely afford the bike they have to have 'cause it's the coolest and bestest tend to gloss over things like oil changes, valve checks, fork oil, chain lube, brake pads, stuff like that. Ask for maintenance records, and if there aren't any, walk away.

OTOH, a 15-year-old bike that still runs probably has been taken care of, at least by someone. Whether that someone was the guy selling it now might be hard to say.

Scrapes and scars on the bodywork don't mean anything. Any bike 10 or 15 years old has been down several times.

If you pick up a cheap old bike but one that needs stuff, expect to pay the same money again in getting it up to date.

I've seen GSXR 600s pus in the curb a lot by new riders. I don't know about your experience but I'd say graduate to something that is as good as race ready!
Generally the Suzuki's hold up well so long as they haven't been track bikes and decked a lot.

The Ninja's I can't speak for, only ever having been a pillion on a 750. It was stuck like glue in the corners but the engine was far from bullet proof.

Why not start out with sports tourer rather than something that could put out your lights (again, I don't know how much experience you have). A Yamaha FZS (fazer) 600 from after 2000 would be a good ride, same engine as a race bike but in a sports frame. So long as it hasn't been a courier or run ragged it should hold up a treat with plenty of power, 140mph+, and a decent ride quality.

Alternatively you could opt for a 600CBR(R) which is very similar to the GSXR but of the Honda variety. These things are going cheap now in good nick (£600 for a 2006 my pal picked up) and you can guarantee yourself some fun on one of those!

EDIT: Honda VFR400 for the win. :sly:

I am starting to think also about possibly a honda cbr250r, really light, better than the ninja and more reliable. With a 4,000 price tag for a brand spankin new one its hard to ignore. I just am worried I will get sick of it quickly.

If I could go back to my first bike, rather than get the KLR 250 I bought, I would have rather bought a Nighthawk 750.

150106746_1995HondaCB750.jpg

Hydraulic valves so no valve adjustments, they're capable of a 13-second 1/4 mile but they don't beg you to race them; from everything I've read about the Nighthawk 750 it's a good bike and fairly easy to work on, and the riding manners of the CB750s are fairly tame. Prices seem to range from $1500 - $3000 depending on condition.

Not the most powerful, not the prettiest (but not bad, either), gets decent fuel economy, good ride characteristics (from what I've read).

JMHO, congratulations and best of luck finding your first bike! You're gonna enjoy this :D

Back