Finally won all the Bonus Items!

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 2 comments

Pupik

dig the bolts in my neck
Staff Emeritus
United States
HSV
For some odd reason, my GT2 disk/PSX was acting up. So I popped in my GT1 disk...I checked out bonus items, and saw a few gaps that I hadn't competed.

I forgot how much fun (read: unrealistic) the arcade mode could be. In GT2, it stunk. The AI never challenged you. But the GT1 arcade always threw one challenger or another at you. The consant barrage of cars that always threw their best and worst at you. Slamming you, dicing with you, outbraking you at all costs. Good racing, even if unrealistic.

Well, if you didn't know, if you win all ABC classes on the first 4 tracks, it unlocks 4 more tracks for arcade use. When you win all the events in difficult, you unlock the missing manufacturers (Toyota, TVR, Subaru, Dodge), and you get the GT Hi-Fi mode (whihch includes the missing SSR 11). The Test Course is missing, incidently.

It brought back old memories of playing GT1 with friends for 2-lap races and lots of yelling and laughter. Those were the days when I'd try like mad to keep the NSX pointed in the right direction. I miss those days; few want to challenge me in any of the GT games now (heh, heh)!

Originally posted by pupik
The Test Course is missing, incidently.
Also SSR11, and the Autumn Ring Mini, and all reverse tracks.

Funny thing is there do appear to be both SSR11 and SSR11ii available in the game for arcade mode, they just can't be unlocked. (They distinctively have the pits closed, if you do manage to use a GameShark to race on them).

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-12-09.html

lists all tracks available with a GameShark.

In fact, there is also Arcade Autumn Ring Mini, (and also rogo-test) but again, it cannot actually be unlocked.

So, I guess, in conclusion, yes, Test Track is the only track which does not have an Arcade version embedded in the game at all. (Although I have made Arcade races happen on the Simulation Test Track...)

There is no 2 Player Test Track, but you can use a GameShark to have 2 Player races there in either Arcade or Simulation mode.

Note also that Test Track and Max Speed Test are two different tracks. I'm actually not sure how they create the 0-400 and 0-1000 tests.

Note that the three Hi-res tracks, SSR11, CR5 and SSR5 are actually different from other versions of the same track, and are used in common in the Arcade and Simulation Hi-Res modes.

Yeah, I noticed the "green stripe" on top of the entry screens. Not quite the same, I suppose.

I'm not a fan of the Hi-Fi version (either Arcade or Sim)...too "cartoony" for me. And the lack of ads is weird (I can't believe I'm saying that).

Back