Find Me A Motorcycle (First bike after Direct Access)

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Dragonistic
So in a weeks time I'll hopefully be tearing the L plates off my trusty steed ('05 DT125 SM) and beginning to look at what to save for to buy early next year. Trouble is though I know what model car I like, I know shockingly little of bikes outside of the obvious Gixxers and R6 etc. and for that I turn to you GTPers to help me build a shortlist of bikes to look for on the second hand market.

Details
Budget - £4000 (don't feel the need to be at that mark if there's some great bargains to have, also willing to go over slightly)
Style - Supermoto or Standard/Naked (No superbikes or tourers)
Priorities - Fun factor, styling, short commute friendly (aka reliable and acceptable servicing intervals and costs).

Other
Regarding supermotos I don't particularly care for the larger ones (XT660X springs to mind), the DRZ400 SM immediately comes to mind as the obvious choice but is there even an alternative this side of 600cc? An ideal world would be a supermoto around 500cc with 50bhp or so, the DRZ is just underpowered (potentially) and missing a 6 speed transmission though I could upgrade to get a bit more power.

On the standard/naked side I've began to consider them after riding the GS500 for my training/test, I really like the somewhat rough sound it makes compared to a smooth i4 (you'll notice a theme developing, I like something a bit rugged and unrefined rather then something comfortable and smooth). Comparing the 2 basically comes down to having a short blast where the supermoto will always be more fun to me, to going on more of an adventure on the naked and getting on some roads where you can really open up. Top runner so far is the Yamaha XJ6, for little other reason then I think it looks amazing in red (some reviews are suggesting it's sort of a soft bike though, I want to avoid buying something I'm bored of within a year).

Thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
GS500 is an awesome choice. I try to recommend them here as first bikes, as we don't have to go through graduated licensing. It's enough bike to be a huge amount of fun and be a keeper for a new rider, not so much bike as to be stupid dangerous in inexperienced hands. And, it's as reliable as air.

I would be happy with the GS if it wasn't just a bit bland and more importantly a bit small for my frame.

I'm becoming more and more set on the Xj6 now, it seems friendly for the commute but plenty of excitement for my level and I am just drawn to the thing. Will definitely view one when decision time comes.

I own a GS... it's awesome. Good power, good handling, and the reliability is wonderful to say the least.

That being said, I'm looking to move into a Bandit 600S in the spring. I don't like the sound of P-twin motors.

I've decided to get a DRZ, sumo is just my style and I can save for something really special like a Dorsoduro for the summer or upgrade the DRZ for the extra grunt I want. I just don't think I'll enjoy a road bike enough over time given the shenanigans I've had with the DT.

Come summer I may reconsider, but the DRZ is the sensible and fun option for the winter where I won't be doing long rides.

Module 2, passed. Now all I need is another chunk of salary and to fix up the DT ready for sale and then the fun of motorcycle shopping begins!

I've not made the purchase, I'm just going to :lol:. Settled on DRZ for winter at least, need to find a good example though (in black) and there's not many local at all right now unfortunately.

:lol: oh well hopefully you won't need to wait long, just had a quick look on Pistonheads classifieds, and only found 4 DRZ's on there. Might have more luck on Autotrader, but i'm guessing you've allready checked there. :)

Good luck 👍

Yeah I have, got one potential on autotrader if I can get there (85 miles from home) before it sells. Specifically I'm looking for a DRZ400 SM in black, '07 onwards and sub 7000 miles preferably. I'll attempt to view that particular bike at the weekend after payday and I can clean up the DT for P/X.

Well I lucked out, all the bikes I wanted to view were gone but then a gem popped up and I was first to view and buy. Came with loads of goodies and is absolutely amazing, I could not be happier right now. Will try to get some pics soon.

Only had time to fudge one.
20121201_2140201.jpg

Nice, white and black combo looks pretty good. Is that a red bull can i see there :D

Yeah, it has Monster stickers on the radiator covers as well. Energy drink logos are worth like 5bhp a piece everyone knows that :lol:. Some of the DRZs are just covered in them, more energy drink stickers then bike. I'm glad I found a relatively clean version which had all the mechanical modifications I wanted.

It's just the right amount of power for me, it feels fast as hell when you open up the taps fully and the low down pull is more then good enough that I am happy to just cruise in 5th and let the motor pull me from 35-40mph up to motorway speed unlike the DT days of topping out every gear to get going. On the flipside it doesn't feel absolutely terrifying because it's only there when you want it and doesn't sneak up on you then kick you hard. I'm sure a normal DRZ would have been very good as well, but this one is very well set up, it handles and brakes extremely well and the clutch (slipper I believe) is so friendly as is slow riding. I've only done about 100 miles and I feel like I've owned it for years.

Last edited:
Back