Finest Moments In ActingMovies 

• Thread starter JockeP22
  • 18 comments
Sweden
Sweden
Would it be appropriate to start a thread like this?
I used the search engine and couldn't find anything recently similar. I realise it's highly subjective as to what constitutes a well acted scene, but to start off here are four of my own favorites:

Ted Sutton as army recruiter 'SFC Cunningham' in Signs (2002).

Sylvester Stallone as 'Rocky Balboa' in Rocky (1976).

Michael Shannon as 'Curtis' in Take Shelter (2011).
*Language warning. One swear word / cuss word is used.*

Brit Marling as 'Rhoda Williams' in Another Earth (2011).

What are some of yours?

Last edited:
To me, the finest acting performances are ones where the actor manages to present their character as completely 100% real, making the viewer forget all about the fact that they're watching a movie, and in some cases, making the viewer forget that the actor in question is someone else entirely. One of the best examples I can think of is Tom Hanks at the end of Captain Phillips. It's an extraordinary display of emotion that makes me tear up every time I see it, and it really shows by Hanks is one of the best actors to ever have existed. The scene itself was entirely unscripted and unplanned, and the medical crew is made up of actual medical crew onboard a US Navy Vessel. A powerful and fitting ending to a great movie.

Everyone did great in this movie, but the guys who play the Somali pirates deserve a special mention as well. Not an easy role to play, and they managed to portray their characters as more nuanced people than one might ordinarily think of when it comes to modern day pirates.

Last edited:
Stana Katic as Kate Beckett on Castle - Specifically in the Season 4 episode "Killshot".

Last edited:
One example that springs to mind comes courtesy of the relaunched Doctor Who, specifically episode 8 from series 9: "The Zygon Inversion".

Apparently this scene was done in one take.

One of the best examples I can think of is Tom Hanks at the end of Captain Phillips.
I didn't watch your clip (don't want to spoil the scene for me) but I did place an order for the movie. :-)
Screenshot_2017-10-27-03-43-54~2.jpg

Pity so few people would have seen such a fine TV scene...
Fine acting indeed by Harris Yulin as Aamin Marrit. I am a big Star Trek fan and that scene and story reminds me a lot of the Voyager episode called Jetrel. There is a very similar scene there with Neelix and Jetrel as the one in your clip with Aamin and Kira.

Another well acted Voyager Trek episode is Distant Origin, with Henry Woronicz in particular stealing a lot of scenes as Forra Gegen.

Speaking of stealing scenes. This is an all-time favorite of mine with Bruce McGill.

And there is an incredible scene in the movie The Crossing Guard directed by Sean Penn. I can't find it on YouTube but it's the opening of the film and John Savage has a monologue about feeling lost and how he misses his old self. It's a scene you won't forget if you ever see it.

Here is another good scene also from The Crossing Guard.

Dustin Hoffman has a great scene in Family Business where he lies to his wife about his son being out of town when in reality he's in jail waiting for a prison sentence. Can't find the clip to that one either.

An amazing scene with Ian McKellen.

And an equally amazing scene with Charlie Chaplin.

The walk just tears me up...

If you haven't seen Basquiat, do. Fair warning, it's not a happy movie.

I love this scene from Crimson Tide. The acting is solid (maybe not that challenging a scene), but man... it's awesome to watch these two. Warning, there is a naughty word dropped twice.

Back