First corner at Nurburgring.

• Thread starter DakotaXIII
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
As I almost always race Gr.4, this week I'm stuck with Nurburgring GP. Hereinafter known as the '**** Gauntlet'.

I just can't get out of SR C this week because, no matter how good my race is going, I guarantee I will get punted off at the first corner at some point.

Is there any way to get around that corner safely? I swear people think that because they can SEE the inside line, they think they can TAKE the inside line - even if they're 0.5s back.

This evening I've been punted 5 times at that corner in 3 races. Going from, on average, a starting position of 4th (quali time is 2:06.2), pretty much down to the bottom. I get annoyed, if affects me, even though I try not to let it, and I wind up making mistakes - all in all just ruining my experience.

All this said, I don't seem to get penalised much, so maybe the game is better at attributing blame. But I haven't come out of a single race tonight with blue SR.

Should I just put Nurburgring GP on the 'avoid' list for Sport races until my SR is back up to B/A?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you notice, in the GT6 League events there, the AI cars now take the front straight on the right. Didn't use to be that way. Used to be, come in on the left, like one should. I find that odd, but what I think it signifies is that (real) people are going to cut to the inside of you and ram you off track.

If you notice, in the GT6 League events there, the AI cars now take the front straight on the right. Didn't use to be that way. Used to be, come in on the left, like one should. I find that odd, but what I think it signifies is that (real) people are going to cut to the inside of you and ram you off track.

It's a recipe for disaster then, really. People are inevitably going to go in at all angles, at full speed, into a tight corner, after all bunching up either at the start or after drafting up the straight on later laps.

Think I'll give Nurburgring GP ring a buzz then from now on. Shame as it's a fun track to run quali laps on.

i used to hate Nurburgring GP for much the same reason, but from my experience it hasn't been so bad recently (i'm B/S). got a bump in a race i did on Tuesday but didn't affect me too much. my pet hate round there at the moment is people diving up the inside of the hairpin and then running me wide in the exit, but that's pretty standard.

i'd probably focus on getting your SR up, either by intentionally hanging back for T1 and letting everyone else crash into each other while keeping it clean yourself, or doing other races, and then come back to it.

It's really hard to give advise for one corner under in a race, as, conditions/situations have so many variables.
Comes down to racecraft, possibly better termed self preservation in Gt Sport.
If you are not racing with a mirror, you are lost. The end.
If racing with a mirror, entering corners, especially corners with heavy braking, you need to be watching your mirror as much as where you are going.
I can not tell you how many times entering this corner, I've changed my line last minute in an effort to get out of the way of rammers/dive-bombers.
You should not have to race that way, but... people... and a penalty system that cannot determine fault... and people gaming it.

So;
if you defend going down the inside, and see a rammer coming hard in your mirror, cut out, let him blow by, and continue racing.
if you are heading down the outside and see someone jump inside, that's racing.
If there is a group behind, go down the middle, leave the preferred (defensive, and racing) lines, if they are good you'll all get through clean, if they suck, the guys on the outside are not an issue, avoid the carnage to the inside as best you can.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but, until the penalty system can determine blame, AND there are real consequences to getting a penalty, you just have to watch the mirror and "avoid".

I've not "raced" in some time, but, when I was, the racing at Dr.B/Sr.S was pretty clean and trustworthy.

Good luck.

If I’m fighting for position into that corner, I almost always try to take away the inside line. I’ve got rammed from behind a couple of times, but find it better than taking the outside line and getting hit in the door mid corner. If I get rammed from behind, I at least have a chance to save the car, which I find less likely to happen if I get T-boned in the door.

If you do have to take the outside line, you need to watch your miirrors / right side very closely. If someone is on the inside trying to outbrake you, brake at the normal point, or even a fraction early, and try to cut underneath them as they sail past the apex. If they do manage to make the apex, try to get a better exit around the outside, which will give you the inside For T2.

Lap 1 is usually a gong show. I’ve had the most success hugging the inside, braking early, and then hugging the apex. I have got rammed from behind doing this, but in each case, I got pin-balled into cars that were ahead of me and at the apex, which allowed me to make the apex nicely. It’s not 100% clean, but it’s self preservation. If someone rams me from behind and sets off a chain reaction, there’s only so much I can do. I’d much rather be the cue ball than the 8 ball in that corner :lol:

Brake earlier on whatever line. Let off on straight a little if you have a guy on your ass that’s too aggressive. Let them punt themselves or dive past too quick and go wide.

I always run the wider wet line around the middle of the track and away from the apex. The bottleneck usually occurs on the apex and many of those cars will ghost when they ram each other, so simply running the wet line and letting yourself slide to the outside to avoid cars is a good way to get through without a penalty and you might gain a few positions.

You can also brake way later if you stay to the outside edge of the track. It will feel like you're going to ram the car in front of you but 90% of the time they get impatient and turn in too early in a vain attempt to block the apex, leaving that entire late 1/3 of the kerb open for your braking line.

(The white Megane in Vvise video below is running the wet line on the first lap. \/ \/ )

Last edited:
If it's lap one do not take the racing line, you are inviting death. Stay tight to the inside all the way down the straight and if no-one is ahead of you brake later than usual and run wide to be safe. If you take it slow you're in the "strike zone" for a dive bomb longer.

Here's a great example clip from last night, you can see in the radar how much of a mess I dodged if any of those cars had gone up the inside of me i'd be toast.

Last edited:
This may sound wimpy, but I just try to get through clean, and worry about racing after T1. A lot of players get jumbled around and get penalties at T1, and very few players seem to have a good line through 2-3-4, so it's a good spot to catch up and set up a move.

At the starts, I take the outside and use a wide line, but cautiously. I look right and also wait to hear the "bang" from other cars, proceed with light throttle.
Then, I usually stay tight inside for the next three corners. Other players go way to the right off track and cut back in. I'm already at the corner so they can see me.

If taking the inside from the start, make sure to stay tight to the right through the whole turn. Trying to maximise the run out, by exiting wide to the left, will definitely cause carnage.

I just watch for the player, who wants to speed past everyone, with the boost they get from starting near the back. That's the one who will clear your path and gift you those 3 or 4 spots up the grid. ;)

Edit: And this just happens. Lovely...

Last edited:
If they (PD) would enable HEAVY damage people would be driving a bit more responsible.
I understand the argument that the victim also gets penalized, however I would argue that overall across the board racing would be cleaner. People would think twice before ramming as engine damage would be the consistent consequence.

If they (PD) would enable HEAVY damage people would be driving a bit more responsible.
I understand the argument that the victim also gets penalized, however I would argue that overall across the board racing would be cleaner. People would think twice before ramming as engine damage would be the consistent consequence.

Agreed! Before going online for 3 months I used to do a lot of custom races. Damage was always set to heavy and I guarantee I did everything to avoid even the slightest impacts. When I finally went online I was actually surprised that there was no damage in Daily Races.

I was suprised myself. That's always been one thing that irked me with GT... the lack of internal and visible damage.

Can't call the the "real driving simulator" when there's a total lack of damage. "Real driving" is unforgiving and it penalizes every mistake. And that fact never makes it on PD's list of realness :/

I was suprised myself. That's always been one thing that irked me with GT... the lack of internal and visible damage.

Can't call the the "real driving simulator" when there's a total lack of damage. "Real driving" is unforgiving and it penalizes every mistake. And that fact never makes it on PD's list of realness :/
I think the balance has to come in at some point though so the game remains enjoyable. Imagine taking heavy damage for a crash that wasn't your fault? Rage-inducing!

Enjoyable for who? MarioKart skill level squeakers? I really love this game, but I'm only going to put up with being punted off track when I'm on-line and on-pace so many times before I decide to play something else.

It’s all about awareness. There’s no one set strategy. Depends on race. I only got punted once and it was sr b and I was not penalized. I was middle of pack at start everytime.

I think the balance has to come in at some point though so the game remains enjoyable. Imagine taking heavy damage for a crash that wasn't your fault? Rage-inducing!

Yep! It’s about finding a fair and enjoyable balance. I don’t envy the likes of PD and other game operators on this front. What’s to say with heavy damage you don’t just end up with nasty minded players who don’t care about their own result just nerfing others for entertainment or spite.

Latest Posts

Back