First impressions of GT5

• Thread starter flyingkiwi
  • 12 comments
Well, I bought my PS3 and ordered the American version of GT5, XL.

Started playing a couple of days ago. Here are my first impressions.

1. Started off with a bit of Arcade mode. Much different first-up than what I am used to in GT4. The Toyota Supra JGTC car I was using just did not like getting the power down at all and I had to gently apply the acceleration. Much different than in GT4, where you could bascially just give it 100% throttle. I wonder if this is because I have no experience points yet. Are experience points connected to Arcade mode?

2. The graphics were not as good as I thought (so far).

3. I love the different lighting, depending on the time of day.

4. The AI cars are a lot better competition on first impressions. I used a second-hand MX-5 in the Sunday Cup first up and couldn't win the first two races!

5. I think the driving skill required to do well in GT5 is already a lot more realistic than in GT4.

6. Have not gone online yet, but I am wondering what is the best way to begin.

Purchased a second-hand MX-5 and used it in the Sunday Cup.

Congratulation on migrating from GT4 to GT5. For me, online racing is where all the fun is but be prepared because online racing is a mixed bag of experiences.

The best way to begin is to stay in A-spec and never touch online unless you are in a private lobby. That is my advice. The AI are a lot better than before, but the overall pace of them is slower. The arcade and one-make races are very fun and the AI are somewhat more aggressive. There is so much to do in the game, you may never get bored. I just got to level 40 and I have been playing pretty much since launch day.

I wouldn't say stay away from public lobbies because if you don't join public lobbies then you will never find anyone to race with. The only time I resort to hosting a private race is when I want to race endurance races (100+ laps) and don't want any surprises.

The key to a good public lobby is all in the person hosting the room.

1. Started off with a bit of Arcade mode. Much different first-up than what I am used to in GT4. The Toyota Supra JGTC car I was using just did not like getting the power down at all and I had to gently apply the acceleration. Much different than in GT4, where you could bascially just give it 100% throttle. I wonder if this is because I have no experience points yet. Are experience points connected to Arcade mode?

None of the anything you mentioned is affected by experience points, it only serves to unlock what cars you can buy over time and isn't used in acrade mode at all. Cars drive the same at A-spec level 0 and level 40 (the maximum level currently)

Cars do feel a bit sensitive and realistic now, making having a wheel with pedals more worthwhile

6. Have not gone online yet, but I am wondering what is the best way to begin.

Feel free to hop into any lobby really, I'm assuming GT5 will be where you'll have your first online gaming experience... meet up with GTplanet peoples for the best experience but other than that a random lobby can be just as fun.

Just pay attention to what everyone is doing in the room and don't get upset if you didn't win, you'll only get better after a while.

Lurk around the GT5 forum and you'll find answers to much of your questions, since the game's been out for a while now, make use of the forum.

There is a huge difference in GT4 and GT5's depth field. I can see down a straight and see the other curves when I'm turning and elevation differences are more noticeable too. GT4 felt flat compared to GT5.

After one month of playing, I have three questions:

1. Just did my first time trial on the seasonal events (snow circuit), but, I quit it after 5 laps (I already had the gold time), and then...nothing. No mention of my online record.

How many laps do I have to do? It doesn't specify anything on the front page.

2. Is there anyway to change the driver positional display list during a race to a car positional display list? I don't give a rat's what the drivers' names are, but I care about what make of car is in 2nd, 3rd, etc.

3. During a championship event, will it display the points rankings after every round? It didn't do that in one of the amateur events, so I had no idea whether I was leading the championship or not going into the final race.

Cheers!

After one month of playing, I have three questions:

1. Just did my first time trial on the seasonal events (snow circuit), but, I quit it after 5 laps (I already had the gold time), and then...nothing. No mention of my online record.

How many laps do I have to do? It doesn't specify anything on the front page.

2. Is there anyway to change the driver positional display list during a race to a car positional display list? I don't give a rat's what the drivers' names are, but I care about what make of car is in 2nd, 3rd, etc.

3. During a championship event, will it display the points rankings after every round? It didn't do that in one of the amateur events, so I had no idea whether I was leading the championship or not going into the final race.

Cheers!

Was it the evo one? If so the time trial for that was canceled so no recorded times are being taken thus no leaderboard.

No, it is the Chamonix West circuit for under 500PP cars. I can see the leaderboard rankings, but I just did 5 laps, exited, and my time wasn't recorded. I incurred no penalties during those laps and got the gold time (under 2:21.5).

As it seems that you're new in GT5, here's a tip: Never try to be hardcore in the game, and just try to look over the little mistakes in online. Also, when you go online, try to learn driving without assists. Most lobby's force them to be turned off.

Back