First Livery Editor

United States
Ohio
IceManPJN
IceMan PJN
In a Nintendo 64 Facebook group someone posted about Top Gear Rally. I commented on it, as I really loved the game. I had mentioned it was the first racing game I can think of with a livery editor. I don't mean choosing a paint color or pickings between a few livery options but making the whole thing yourself, from basic color to a detailed design with literally any image you want on it. Being a teenager, I put "edgy" stuff on there like Playboy and condom logos as sponsors.

Can anybody think of a racing game with a livery editor before Top Gear Rally? It was released September 30, 1997.

Bonus:
I had also wondered what racing game first had a rewind feature. It's relatively common today, but who did it first? From what I've found, the answer is Alfa Romeo Racing Italiano, from 2005/2006.

There was Indycar Racing on the PC back in 1993 which had a livery editor where you could draw as a bitmap onto the skin.

Nascar Racing in 1994 also had a livery editor, though unsurprising because it was from the same dev as IndyCar, Sierra.

There was Indycar Racing on the PC back in 1993 which had a livery editor where you could draw as a bitmap onto the skin.

Nascar Racing in 1994 also had a livery editor, though unsurprising because it was from the same dev as IndyCar, Sierra.
That's cool. I didn't know about those. If they were on PC, that's probably why. I didn't really start messing around on PC until late 1995. It sounds like the bitmap thing is basically how Top Gear Rally did it.

Back