First set of tire last longer

nicholasxuu
In S class races (those are the only ones I know that enables tire wear).
I found that the first set of tire last a lot longer, and perhaps have better grip.

basically, in silverstone 10 laps, I started the race with a set of racing soft, after 5 laps, the worst tire has about 5/10 left.
Then I went into the pit, and changed a new set of racing soft, same tire, less fuel, the tire got dangerously low before hitting the finish line.

I've tried the race with multiple cars. second set always lasts shorter.
One of them is FXX, it's so powerful, first set of racing soft lasts 5 laps (with at least 3/10 left), and second set rarely hold 4 laps, completely worn out before the 9th lap ends, and became un-driveable with two rear tires 0/10. also with the second set of tires, the tire squeezing sound rarely stops. while it's much better with the first set of racing soft.

It's a glitch. I noticed it only with the Silverstone race. I used the Ford XR8 race car which is really bad on it's front tyres so when I pitted after 5 laps the wear was 3/8 front to rear, after the pit the rear tyres were squealing constantly while using the throttle regardless of how careful I was. At the end of the race the wear was 3/1 front to rear.

I noticed that whenever I pit during the S races for tires, whatever tire I put on, the car is making a constant skidding sound with anything more than like half throttle even in a straight line on the new set of tires.

So either there is a sound bug or it is in fact some weird tire bug that is making them perpetually skid and thus wear off the tread faster.

I noticed this at La Sarthe but I thought it had to do with the conditions. It started off rainy and then the night would have been cooler. Wear started to increase as it became daylight and the road became drier.

I noticed this at La Sarthe aswell. I started on Race softs, pitted at end of my 3rd lap for fuel, wasn't an option to keep my current tires on :( so swapped them for fresh race softs and they were nearly wreaked after one and a half laps :(

I used the Sauber Mercedes at La Sarthe, but it made sense that I had little wear in the wet compared to in the dry. But even after the track had dried and I had changed tyres the wear didn't seem excessive or out of place compared to the XR8 at Silverstone.

I have this same problem in all S class races...Any time I pit the rear tires get eaten up for the remaining laps. On the Silverstone race I had to pit for gas at the end of the 6th lap. My tires were 5 front 7 rear. In the remaining 4 laps the rear tires were squealing everywhere and I was barely able to limp the car home with the tires at 6 front 1 rear.
I've since tested it on every other S race and it's the same thing no matter what car I drive, but I have found that switching to race hards on the pit stop helps you manage the horrible rear tire wear for the remaining laps.

So maybe you should not use RS RM would probably do fine
or I can pit later, use the first set of tire to the max, and finish the race without extra pit (or increase laptime with harder tire).
it's not that fun after 22 minutes and you found you'll do an extra pit (than planned), and lose the race after.

or I can pit later, use the first set of tire to the max, and finish the race without extra pit (or increase laptime with harder tire).
it's not that fun after 22 minutes and you found you'll do an extra pit (than planned), and lose the race after.
I have not been back to run it again, the first time I did not pay attention and did not see that it was raining until I started the race and only had HR tires on hand so I exited and bought some rain tires.

The second time I started with Rain tires and they were still in fine shape mid way through the race but fuel was getting low so I pitted on the next lap to refuel and by then the track was drying out so I went to the HR tires and finished the race but unfortunately I was driving the R18 AE and when it got dark I could not see the track at all except near the stands, had to guess where the pit entrance was and hit a wall trying to get into the pits. All in all it did not go to well and I finished way behind the leader who was pulling away from me all through the night.

I plan to go back in the Audi R8 and give it another shot, hopefully the R8 headlights work a bit better than the R18

Maybe because you start the race with warm tyres, but when you put new tyres on they take a while to get up to temperature.

I noticed it at Willow Springs, the Super event. Car was best on the first set of tyres, noticebly less grip on the second set, I was using sports softs. Couldn't be due to heat as I spent 4 laps on each set of tyres. Drove a modified 91 Acura NSX

I also did I think Apricot Hill? Same issue there, laptimes reflected it too, I was a little slower on the 2nd set of tyres. Drove the Nissan R33 GT-R Touring car.

Last edited:
It's any time you change tires while racing, only thing I haven't tried is changing tires in free run yet.

The same "bug" is happening in both online races and qualification. The grip level is lower and they don't last as long as the first set. (tested two times; 1x with Race soft and 1x with Race hard tires).

Same here, every S race...and you would think there is harder breaking 1st few laps when you are trying to pass. After that when I am ahead I am consciously drivng more smooth...but tires wear out much quicker. Yes also 2nd set less grip. Annnnndd what a dumb place to put pit entrance for Spa !

Also you dont need wets when it rains....

I ran the race today in my R8 RS tires stayed out until I needed fuel, tires were still good, they do not seem to wear at all when the road is very wet. Put on another set of RS tires and it was soon clear that I would need to pit again before the end of the race as the rear tires were being eaten up on the straights. pitted a second time thinking I would finish 3rd but then on the next lap the 2 in front of me pitted and I won easily

Wouldn't that make the second set last longer instead?
Doing a lap on cold(er) tyres wears them out much quicker than they would in ideal temperature as you'd be sliding them more because of the lower grip. That's if somehow they don't warm up within a few corners anyway. Or if they're Pirellis :lol:

I noticed this tonight. 20 lap race at Nurb GP. I was doing 2'02.xxx on first set of RS starting with full tank. Pitted on lap 6, didn't add fuel and from then on all I could achieve were high 2'04s mostly '05s.

I don't think temp could have an impact as surely you would start on colder tyres as you've sat on the grid were as when you pit they would be straight out of the blankets and off you go. That's if it has such tyre prep simulation. I think definitely a bug.

I noticed this tonight. 20 lap race at Nurb GP. I was doing 2'02.xxx on first set of RS starting with full tank. Pitted on lap 6, didn't add fuel and from then on all I could achieve were high 2'04s mostly '05s.

I don't think temp could have an impact as surely you would start on colder tyres as you've sat on the grid were as when you pit they would be straight out of the blankets and off you go. That's if it has such tyre prep simulation. I think definitely a bug.
I wasn't looking at it realistically. I noticed the color of the tyres when the race starts is nearly white, which is ideal temp in the game. When I put new tyres on they're more blue than white, which means they're colder. I also noticed that the more you keep your tyres in the red, the longer it takes for them to cool down.

Could be completely wrong though.

Maybe people are spoiling 2nd set with too ruff driving, should test to drive one or two easy lap after change.
Spoiling tyres is seen already on other challenges, why not in here too.
One long slide and it takes few laps to get optimal grip back, if you can drive that with those over hot tyres.

Ascari, Willow, Suzuka:

My second set of tires wore at a much slower rate than 1st set of tires.
Cars:
Willow-Stock Veyron '09
Ascari-Stock Veyron '09
Only thing done to Veyron was racing brakes.
Suzuka-Stock 15th Anniversary HSV.

First half of the races I was playing catch up so I was hell on the tires...
...2nd half I drove much more conservatively to protect my #1 position...
and surprise surprise the tires did not wear nearly as fast! :sly:

Apricot Hill, Spa:

Tire degradation was not a factor in my case.
Thanks to rain games at Spa where it rained but the precipitation gauge registered 0 :lol:
Tires lasted me 7 laps at Apricot Hill, I pulled in beginning of Lap 8 because they were at 3/4.
Cars:
Spa-Stock Audi R8 '01 LMP (my all-time favorite GT5 car, after F1 2007.)
Apricot Hill-Stock 15th Anniversary HSV.

Was able to catch the lead rabbit in all 5 races by the halfway point or 1st Pit Stop.
I saved replays, if I can get video capture equipment I will upload.

Have not run the other races yet, but the headlights appear to have issues at Le Mans.
------------------------------------

I think they have ruined the endurance races, AI's rain pace is little old lady.
Format of some, reminds me of the Spa-seaonal they ran at the end of last year.

Won't run off OT, but I did every single event/race in GT5 except the two 24 hour races.

I used a T500 wheel with no driving aids/0 ABS except for torpedo Veyron (ABS 1)

Last edited:
Just a thought.... Could this be related to the aftermarket wheel situation with the rear tires taking on the width of front tires? I know the FXX would very much suffer from that bug as the rears are wider and the post above me with a veyron reports no issues, but all 4 tires should be the same size on that car. Were there aftermarket rims on the cars people tested this on? Also here's the thread to do with the other glitch I'm talking about:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...changes-grip-and-balance.294129/#post-9095788

I did the Apricot Hill Super Race in the Toyota 7 on Racing Softs. Not sure I could even change the wheels on that car. I figured 8 laps for the fuel. On Lap 8 one of the tyres was on 2 and I lost grip with it. I made it back to the Pits, with care, as I was about 3 corners away. Changed tyres and went out again and had to change tyres again a couple of laps before the end of the race.

Latest Posts

Back