Fitting fully customizable suspension - complete overhaul?

• Thread starter szejok666
  • 8 comments
Poland
Poland
Szejok666
I've recently been fiddling with spring rates, trying to replicate real life suspensions in GT6, but I've encountered a problem. Standard and Fully customizable suspension behave differently, even when they have identical values. Two examples: Toyota GT 86 (stock with comfort hard tires) and Shelby Mustang GT500 (stock with Comfort Soft tires). When I fit customizable suspension and dial exact same numers as in standard suspension, both cars are feeling underdamped, and they have I think kind of vague steering response. Also, when difting, they let go much more violently and the drift is harder to maintain.
The question is: Why is this happening, what is wrong, if all the values are the same as in standard stock suspension, but somehow car behaves differently?

most likely because they are a different kind of suspension. for example, with the toyota, they arent going to fit factory suspension parts from 1986 for $20,000. it's going to be brand new parts made recently and to racing specs. It's not going to be struts or whatever type of suspension that the toyota came with. It's going to be fully independent and most likely coilovers. So even with the same numbers, it's not going to feel the same. Hopefully that answers you question, if i understood it correctly.

Thanks for answer, but I think I must disagree with fully independent suspension theory. Mustang fitted with fully customizable suspension still feels like it has rear live axle. I mean - the difference isn't so great, it's more subtle than that. And also, difference between stock and customizable suspension feels exactly the same in all cars with the same drive type. For instance no matter what FR car, the difference in handling feels quite similar between standard and customizable suspension (both with identical settings).

Last edited:
Thanks for answer, but I think I must disagree with fully independent suspension theory. Mustang fitted with fully customizable suspension still feels like it has rear live axle. I mean - the difference isn't so great, it's more subtle than that. And also, difference between stock and customizable suspension feels exactly the same in all cars with the same drive type. For instance no matter what FR car, the difference in handling feels quite similar between standard and customizable suspension.
I'm not gonna argue because fully customizable means fully customizable. The live axle would be removed with a racing suspension setup. And you can't substantiate feel. I was just offering a reason for why they might feel different.

You also have to account for a larger range of adjustment when swapping parts. an example would be a factory spring rate having a min of 4 and max of 12 And the racing spring having a min of 4 and max of 15. A setting of 8 is going to be different on each spring.

It's because GT6 isn't fully simulating reality.

Now, my personal opinion is that it's a generic "effect" that's thrown in to make the racing suspension feel more like a racing suspension. In previous GT games they raised spring rates automatically with purchase, but for some reason in GT6 they have it showing the same spring rate as stock (at default) yet it seems to gain the same classic stiffness as previous games.(where spring rates were actually increased)

Personally I don't see or feel spring stiffening. Camber and toe is the same (it's visible). My theory is that maybe dampers are different. Standard setup (1 bound & rebound) may not be the same as 1 bound & rebound in customizable suspension. The values for dampers are not universal, like they are for spring rates (kgf/mm), ride height (mm) or camber & toe (decimal degrees). It's just numbers from 1 to 10, and they can be replicating different values depending on suspension. Other theory, that I can think of, is that length of the springs itself (not rate) may change when fitting customizable suspension. Something is different for sure, but I can't put my finger on what it is :)

Last edited:
Well all this theory is great and all. How about a simple test.
Take any car stock suspension and go to a track log a good clean smooth lap no curb checks. Save the best lap. Than install a FCS set to same values as stock and follow your ghost from prior as best you can get the same type of lap save best lap go to the data logged and check ride height across it. It will show pretty well if there is a stiffness difference or if it's the placebo effect.

That's actually good idea. I've thought of that, but that MOTEC analysis device is a little bit too complicated for me. What I should be looking for beside the ride height? Grip transitions maybe? How to determine them using this tool? Nevertheless I'll take 2005 Mustang GT and do 2 similar laps at Tsukuba and post my results later.

That's actually good idea. I've thought of that, but that MOTEC analysis device is a little bit too complicated for me. What I should be looking for beside the ride height? Grip transitions maybe? How to determine them using this tool? Nevertheless I'll take 2005 Mustang GT and do 2 similar laps at Tsukuba and post my results later.
MoTeC i2 is lacking suspension data so you have to use the data logger in game to view that information unless PD has allowed that with the recent update.
Wheel speed can tell you if a tire is under or over loading in a turn, Gforce data in MoTeC can tell if the car is gripping better. If you can read the grip data go for it.

Back