Fix it or scrap it?

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
This may be a question that's hard to answer, but if a car's head gasket is blown, is it worth it to fix, or should the car just be scrapped altogether? The backstory is the head gasket on my mom's MY2001 Dodge Intrepid blown today, after being slightly cracked months ago. This is the first major problem that car has had in all of its 19 years, and of course, it happens the day before my mom's 39th birthday. The car still runs, though she's afraid to drive it any longer. After doing a quick Google search, the cost to fix this issue is $1400-1600 on average (which includes parts, labor, and fees) and that's more than the value of the car altogether ($1375 according to KBB). From this, it may seem silly to want to fix it. But, my mom doesn't want to just scrap the car because it was her first car (bought new in 2000) and basically the only car she's driven throughout her life, so it has sentimental value. Other than the head gasket, the car is in great condition. She claims she can take it somewhere and have the problem fixed for less than $1,000, I seem skeptical but then again, I have no experience with mechanics. Her other car is a '17 230i convertible but she doesn't want to commute in it every day, as it simply isn't practical. My other family members are unsure of what we should do with the Intrepid given this situation, which is why I made a thread about it.

Should it be fixed or scrapped?

Furthermore, how many of yous have had a head gasket blow before, and you wound up repairing the car after? What did it cost? Thanks.

Depends all if it's financially viable for her and if she will really miss the car when it's gone. Headgaskets are labour-intensive and can vary wildly - did the car overheat when the gasket went? That could be the difference between a warped head. Lots of variables for a kind of vague question.

SVX
Depends all if it's financially viable for her and if she will really miss the car when it's gone. Headgaskets are labour-intensive and can vary wildly - did the car overheat when the gasket went? That could be the difference between a warped head. Lots of variables for a kind of vague question.
It's definitely financially viable, that's not the issue, rather, does it make any sense to fix a part that's worth more than the entire car? She'll probably miss it, but it's a rather non-descript DaimlerChrysler product at the end of the day, so I'm sure she'll find something newer and more likeable if she were to scrap it. And yes, the car did overheat.

It's definitely financially viable, that's not the issue, rather, does it make any sense to fix a part that's worth more than the entire car? She'll probably miss it, but it's a rather non-descript DaimlerChrysler product at the end of the day, so I'm sure she'll find something newer and more likeable if she were to scrap it. And yes, the car did overheat.

I think you're expecting us to answer a question that only your mum can answer. If it's financially viable, then that's where we really can't offer any advice. I doubt she can buy a good car for $1000 that's as good, so it mostly comes down to how long you expect to have it afterwards. Looking at it though, if the car overheated there's a high chance of a warped or cracked head, which add into labour and parts costs.

Here's a thought does your school have an auto shop, if your mother could buy another car wait untill health scare is over and let school shop work on it. It would make a great backup car maybe even you could drive it.

Here's a thought does your school have an auto shop, if your mother could buy another car wait untill health scare is over and let school shop work on it. It would make a great backup car maybe even you could drive it.
My school doesn't have that.

Before scrapping it call around to repair shops and see what the cost might be, just remember it might be more, also ask them about replacing engine from junk yard. Also check if you might have a (trade school ) near you.

This may be a question that's hard to answer, but if a car's head gasket is blown, is it worth it to fix, or should the car just be scrapped altogether? The backstory is the head gasket on my mom's MY2001 Dodge Intrepid blown today, after being slightly cracked months ago. This is the first major problem that car has had in all of its 19 years, and of course, it happens the day before my mom's 39th birthday. The car still runs, though she's afraid to drive it any longer. After doing a quick Google search, the cost to fix this issue is $1400-1600 on average (which includes parts, labor, and fees) and that's more than the value of the car altogether ($1375 according to KBB). From this, it may seem silly to want to fix it. But, my mom doesn't want to just scrap the car because it was her first car (bought new in 2000) and basically the only car she's driven throughout her life, so it has sentimental value. Other than the head gasket, the car is in great condition. She claims she can take it somewhere and have the problem fixed for less than $1,000, I seem skeptical but then again, I have no experience with mechanics. Her other car is a '17 230i convertible but she doesn't want to commute in it every day, as it simply isn't practical. My other family members are unsure of what we should do with the Intrepid given this situation, which is why I made a thread about it.

Should it be fixed or scrapped?

Furthermore, how many of yous have had a head gasket blow before, and you wound up repairing the car after? What did it cost? Thanks.
If she claims she can take it somewhere and have the problem fixed for less than $1,000, get her to ask other car mechanics in your area and get price from them.

Get rid of both cars and buy something decent but not too decent so it can be used as a commuter too.

The fix might be slightly more expensive than the value of the car.

However, the fix is also significantly less expensive than getting a new car. If the car truly is in good condition other than this head gasket, I don't see an issue with paying that much to give it another few years, at minimum, of life.

Update: we got an estimate for $2,140 for the full repair (includes both labor and parts). Supposedly this shop is known for having low prices. That's nearly $800 more than the car's KBB value. Therefore, unless a lower price can be found, the car will likely be scrapped.

Get rid of both cars and buy something decent but not too decent so it can be used as a commuter too.
By both cars, you mean the Intrepid and the BMW right? That would make sense. The lease on 230i Convertible will end in May. Maybe the Intrepid can stick around until then and I can convince my mom to get something that's both sporty and can be used as a daily driver, like a 440i Gran Coupe M-Sport. The 230i is $545 per month so I doubt the 4-Series would be much more than that.

The fix might be slightly more expensive than the value of the car.

However, the fix is also significantly less expensive than getting a new car. If the car truly is in good condition other than this head gasket, I don't see an issue with paying that much to give it another few years, at minimum, of life.
If we do scrap the car and she decides to get another commuter car, the max she'll spend is $2,000. It will be another older car like the Intrepid. We've already found a 2008 Pontiac G5 Coupe with relatively low mileage that's within the budget, as well as a 2007 Eclipse or a 2005 TSX. I warned her to avoid DaimlerChrysler products at all costs.

Back