fixing lagg?!?!?

• Thread starter damonc84
  • 8 comments
United States
Texas, USA
damon84c
So during an online race with a GTP group, i was black flagged and told to exit the race due to excessive lagg due to my network apparently being ****.

Now I have noticed lagg in rooms that I go in happenes, but it's random at best when it does it. One week every room I enter I lagg free, every now an then lagg appears for no reason, then the next day it's fine and the is none.

What is this super uber special network needed to ensure that you do not be "that guy" in the room and have a pleasurable race experience and not get told to sod off?

Disclaimer of what I have and do now.

• Cox Cable internet in the New Orleans Area (USA) max download speed is 15mbps using a modem/router capable of 400mbps is what I have for service
  • I use a wired connection, clear cache every time before and after entering and exiting a room and have the DNS numbers set as per the PS forum
  • my NAT type is 2 with high bandwidth, I verify this by creating a room to check that specifically
  • estimated speeds range 10 to 13 download and 1 to 2 upload via the PS connection test, varies from day to day.
  • My roommate runs TV recorder program that is wired and has quite a few devices running off WiFi
Any input on how to make things better will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It's the Gran Turismo servers end or the way how PlayStation has with the wired standard that the console uses, which the PS4 uses the same standard. I may not have a great connection, but GT has always had lag issues, somewhat worse in GT6 compared to 5.

So during an online race with a GTP group, i was black flagged and told to exit the race due to excessive lagg due to my network apparently being ****.

Now I have noticed lagg in rooms that I go in happenes, but it's random at best when it does it. One week every room I enter I lagg free, every now an then lagg appears for no reason, then the next day it's fine and the is none.

What is this super uber special network needed to ensure that you do not be "that guy" in the room and have a pleasurable race experience and not get told to sod off?

Disclaimer of what I have and do now.

• Cox Cable internet in the New Orleans Area (USA) max download speed is 15mbps using a modem/router capable of 400mbps is what I have for service
  • I use a wired connection, clear cache every time before and after entering and exiting a room and have the DNS numbers set as per the PS forum
  • my NAT type is 2 with high bandwidth, I verify this by creating a room to check that specifically
  • estimated speeds range 10 to 13 download and 1 to 2 upload via the PS connection test, varies from day to day.
  • My roommate runs TV recorder program that is wired and has quite a few devices running off WiFi
Any input on how to make things better will be greatly appreciated.
The section I've highlighted could be the cause of lag. Try to check online racing when he's not home or not using the internet versus when he is.

or, like @JakeMR2 said, 🤬 servers.

Edit: I should also mention that a lot of the time people complain about seeing others lag it is actually them that is the cause. I've seen many a time a WiFi user complaining about others lagging, and yet to all of us with wired connections, he was the only one in the lobby lagging.

Last edited:
Servers all day long. I'm on 200meg down 20meg up & my PC & wireless device's fly but my PS3 just feels throttled.

What you're calling servers are for matchmaking only. During racing your consoles are the servers - GT6 is peer-to-peer.

Assuming that your ISP doesn't throttle your connection for online gaming (and it happens) and your latency is fine (try pingcheck.net), you'll only see issues for one of two reasons with the setup you describe. The first is your roommate chewing up all of your bandwidth. The second is geography - were the other people in the lobby all from Europe, Australia and the US West Coast by any chance?

It may not be the case that yours was the bad connection but somebody else's wasn't configured correctly and their issues were exposed due to having to connect to someone geographically distant.

Last edited:
It's mainly due to the crappy P2P system that GT6 (and many other PS3 games) uses, as well as the fact that PS3 connection speeds are not the best. Even with a slow connection like mine, the PS3 is noticeably slower in speedtests than my PC or phone.

What you're calling servers are for matchmaking only. During racing your consoles are the servers - GT6 is peer-to-peer.

Assuming that your ISP doesn't throttle your connection for online gaming (and it happens) and your latency is fine (try pingcheck.net), you'll only see issues for one of two reasons with the setup you describe. The first is your roommate chewing up all of your bandwidth. The second is geography - were the other people in the lobby all from Europe, Australia and the US West Coast by any chance?

It may not be the case that yours was the bad connection but somebody else's wasn't configured correctly and their issues were exposed due to having to connect to someone geographically distant.
Don't seem to get it as bad with any other game on the PS3 & it wasn't this bad on GT5 either.

Maybe my PS3's slowly dying.

It was with myself and a few names from the GTPSS, Famine (Bambi, Sinyster, Ph1sher etc.) which covers the geographical aspect of what you mentioned.

Don't seem to get it as bad with any other game on the PS3 & it wasn't this bad on GT5 either.

Maybe my PS3's slowly dying.
There's two things to consider here. Racing games traditionally expose lag much more than any other kind of game, because the objects you're controlling move at 200 feet per second. A quarter of a second of latency is enough to have the car 50 feet (or 4 car lengths) further away than you think it is and by the time your console has caught up with where the other guys console is telling it where his car actually is, you've hit it, you're upside down and on fire. Compare to shooting games where the targets run at 10 feet per second tops and you might need three bullets instead of one (or a noobtube). You can still see lag, but the distances people jump about are usually relatively small.

The other is that GT6's netcode is... uhhh... weak.

Back