Flashing Change-Gear Indicator - Is It There?

• Thread starter bodger
  • 12 comments
The stupid flashing change-gear indicator that gives away the braking points - has it gone from GT4 P? Or is there a way to turn it off (there wasn't in GT3)? It almost ruins the enjoyment of the game using this to judge breaking poitns - rather than the skill of picking your own 'scenery' marking.

Hi Bodger, it is still there and no you cannot turn it off.

But why is it stupid ? Especially when driving the McLaren 10 laps around Fuji it is rather helpfull. That course has so few orientation points that I for one am glad that the gear indicator flashes.

Take care

bodger
The stupid flashing change-gear indicator that gives away the braking points - has it gone from GT4 P? Or is there a way to turn it off (there wasn't in GT3)? It almost ruins the enjoyment of the game using this to judge breaking poitns - rather than the skill of picking your own 'scenery' marking.

Ha! I never knew what that blinking light was for, imagine that, 3 years later I learn.

So obviously since I didn't know what it was I never used it, picking my own braking points (I should go back and take a look at it and see where it differs from mine). However i would only take that little light as a suggestion for braking points. It depends more on your driving. I tend to be a drive in deep, brake late while turning style driver. I assume most braking points (the light) in GT are for straight line brakers.

I learned to ignore it over the years, I don't even see it anymore, but I don't see why it couldn't be an option to turn on/off (it is basically a driver aid).

kensei
I learned to ignore it over the years, I don't even see it anymore, but I don't see why it couldn't be an option to turn on/off (it is basically a driver aid).

I didn't know either untill GT4P. I noticed while repeatedly doing the lessons again and again etc.... I never used it in GT3 though. The courses in GT3 are somehow so familiar by now that most of the breaking points I probably could not even point out, I use them by instinct I guess. That also explains why I still dislike Seattle. Instincts are not perfect for all the different cars :)

>CooperS
I just think it's more of a challenge picking your own braking point from the scenery. Makes the game more enjoyable. I've found that on some of the longer races you can virtually fall asleep, while just tracking the little flashing gear indicator as you cruise your way round. It seems to do it's job well, as no matter how fast or slow the car (or ineffective the brakes) it always seems to adjust to a reasonably optimun breaking point.
Respect.

never have and never will use that! im just realism freak though. you may also notice that on some cars it doesnt seem to provide a reasonable braking point?

GT4P still has the flashing light that gives away the braking point, yes. But this is only because it uses a barely updated GT3 "dash". The BMW 1-series demo uses a newer dashboard that can be seen in most screenshots for GT4 that doesn't have a red flashing light. Instead the gear you should be going back to appears above the actual gear display and flashes near the braking point, howere they have made it so faint and sethrough that it's dead easy to ignore. It's actualy extremely hard to use if you do want to do so.

I use this quite often when starting new tracks to get a feel of what gear I should be in when a corner is approaching. It really came in handy in New York on the GT4p Pal and Japanese. Just my opinion.

GT4P still has the flashing light that gives away the braking point, yes. But this is only because it uses a barely updated GT3 "dash". The BMW 1-series demo uses a newer dashboard that can be seen in most screenshots for GT4 that doesn't have a red flashing light. Instead the gear you should be going back to appears above the actual gear display and flashes near the braking point
The NTSC u/c version of GT3 also had the number above the gear indicator. It was the recomended gear for taking the turn in, and began to flash at the breaking point. i dont know about other versions though. Am I the only one to notice?

I use it more as a general guide than anything else, but you quickly learn when and where it's useful, and when it's not. Quite a few times, it will err on the side of caution, having you brake too soon (a few times I've toyed with it, braking when it told me to, and came to a complete halt a hundred feet shy of the turn). And other times it won't "see" the next corner until you're right on top of it, thus the blinking comes far too late.

In either case, you eventually learn when to brake.. you learn what each car's braking distance is like, and you learn where you have to start braking early, or when you can afford to brake late. At which point it becomes little more than a reminder that there's a turn coming up. Which can sometimes help in endurance races when my mind starts to wander.. that blinking light will sometimes jerk me back to reality for a bit. Sometimes.. I've gone whole laps without realizing it before.. hehe.

It is not supposed to tell you when to brake, just what gear to be in for the next corner. Some of them do come on when you should brake but that is just coincidence. If you always start braking when it tells you too you will end up stopping way before some corners, like Jedi 2016 said.

Back