Flickr limiting free photos to 1000 or upgrade to Pro

• Thread starter torque99
  • 24 comments
Yikes, sitting at 977 photos. Not at all surprising, but bothersome nonetheless. Perhaps I'll just make a second account.

I can put up with paying $35 as a first-year discount. But looking at the alternatives, many sites are either equally priced albeit with a fraction of Flickr's Pro storage capacity (unless you stump up a considerable amount more) or are far too basic for my needs. I'm also not keen on making additional accounts and divvying up so much content between them.

Guess I'll be scouting for substitutes until it's time to renew.

upload_2018-11-2_23-22-32.png

🤬

I can't think of any other photo sharing site that's as easy as Flickr. Like I could just post a link to my latest album anywhere and people can see it in a well designed layout. I can download my images in any sizes. The app is also very easy to use. Not sure what I'm gonna do

Wasn't the original limit something really small like 200 photos - then they increased it to 1 TB?

SVX
Wasn't the original limit something really small like 200 photos - then they increased it to 1 TB?

Yep, when I was using it, it was limited to 200 without a pro account.

To all those complaining about this I ask you why the hell do you expect them to offer the moon on stick for free? FFS they have employees that need paying - how would you lot feel if your employer said „Hey, we‘re going to be really cool and offer our product for free, but that means we aren‘t going to pay you ‘cause you do it for the love of it”. Not good I would imagine.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting on a bit, but I simply cannot comprehend why there’s so much resistance to paying for services these days.

They offered 1 TB for free to us. It must have been sustainable for them to be able to do that. Once the new owners bought Flickr I guess they didn't want to spend the money to operate that

Yep, when I was using it, it was limited to 200 without a pro account.

To all those complaining about this I ask you why the hell do you expect them to offer the moon on stick for free? FFS they have employees that need paying - how would you lot feel if your employer said „Hey, we‘re going to be really cool and offer our product for free, but that means we aren‘t going to pay you ‘cause you do it for the love of it”. Not good I would imagine.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting on a bit, but I simply cannot comprehend why there’s so much resistance to paying for services these days.
This.

Servers, bandwidth & staff aren't free.

I’m not complaining. I’m just accepting the fact and choosing not to pay. I’m just stating I don’t see the worth in it since all I’m uploading is gaming photos. Maybe if I had professional photography that I could use as a portfolio and advertisement of myself of some sort it would be worth it to me, but for what I’m using it for, it’s not.

I don't think the fundamental idea of paying for it is the issue as much as drastic change in the offer... I currently have 1TB for free, I'm using 1.7% of it with 3000+ photos. Given that I'm using less than a fiftieth of what they were offering for free, and I'll now lose two thirds of it unless I commit to $50 a year (discounts aside)... something doesn't add up.

Photography as it is is already an expensive enough hobby, moreso with motorsport! The only benefit is in being able to show people your work... that's not a privilege I feel the need to pay for - I get nothing from it, and nobody will miss it, so there's not really any point for me.

I think the price is a bit more than I would want ( for $35 it's great, $50 makes me think a bit more ) but compared to how other companies have done this I feel they have done it in a very fair manner. I have ~30,000 pictures on Flickr. Personally I'm likely not moving this year back to self hosted so I can't see myself leaving.

Suppose that $50 a year isn't too bad. Just not sure it's worth for me, seeing as I only use Flickr for model cars and LEGO.

I have 4000 photos and don't want to lose 3/4 of this, but I'm definitely not paying for now. Maybe after I'll find a job I'll get a pro account if they will save all my photos and just hide it, like some time ago, when the limit was 200.
I hope this limiting at least will affect the quantity of all these Second Life accounts/photos.

Sorry, I have a terrible habit of reviving old threads.

I'm planning on making a Flickr account. Do you guys still suggest it after the pictures limit and all? I especially like that file hosting site because of its quickness and sleek design. I don't want to load GTPlanet with my pics anymore. :indiff:

Last edited:
If you don't plan on uploading more than 1,000 photos, yes definitely.

I currently almost have 20,000 photos on Flickr. Even though it's way past the day they were supposed to be deleted, but I realized if you don't acknowledge it, they won't delete them, which is nice.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/112239122@N04/

upload_2019-6-2_14-34-10.png

So I can't upload or do anything on Flickr which is why I moved to Behance. I understand why they have to change their business model, but I really don't want to put more money into a hobby that I'm not getting a single penny from. Behance is quite nice. It has unlimited storage, however it's quite a lot more professional than Flickr. There's a lot of portfolios filled with press photos which is very cool since you usually don't know who the photographers are when they're posted by the car companies.

Sorry, I have a terrible habit of reviving old threads.

I'm planning on making a Flickr account. Do you guys still suggest it after the pictures limit and all? I especially like that file hosting site because of its quickness and sleek design.
Wait, you don't have a Flickr account? I was sure I was following you :confused:
Anyway, i don't know if I would recommend it now. Still using it, because don't really want to change, but it works kinda bad lately, since the new owner stepped in. They probably will fix it, but ye, as I said, wouldn't recommend now.

Thanks for you reply! :cheers:

Wait, you don't have a Flickr account? I was sure I was following you :confused:
Anyway, i don't know if I would recommend it now. Still using it, because don't really want to change, but it works kinda bad lately, since the new owner stepped in. They probably will fix it, but ye, as I said, wouldn't recommend now.
:lol: Yeah, I just discovered that there is a Flickr user called 'nuvolari' who uploads FH4(?) photos. Are you referring to him?
Thank you for your opinion, I should wait a bit then! :)

I currently almost have 20,000 photos on Flickr. Even though it's way past the day they were supposed to be deleted, but I realized if you don't acknowledge it, they won't delete them, which is nice.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/112239122@N04/

View attachment 825118

So I can't upload or do anything on Flickr which is why I moved to Behance. I understand why they have to change their business model, but I really don't want to put more money into a hobby that I'm not getting a single penny from. Behance is quite nice. It has unlimited storage, however it's quite a lot more professional than Flickr. There's a lot of portfolios filled with press photos which is very cool since you usually don't know who the photographers are when they're posted by the car companies.

What are the limitations with Behance?

What are the limitations with Behance?
You can't easily embed to a forum like Flickr and the photos you upload are compressed slightly. Those are the only two downsides that I've noticed so far. Everything else seems pretty on par with Flickr. You create "projects" which are similar to albums on Flickr. You then upload photos to it. You'll be up organize them on the page as if you're making a website. I usually use the "photo grid" option because otherwise one photo takes up the whole width of the screen

Back