flyingkiwi's Nurburging 24 hour experience

• Thread starter flyingkiwi
  • 9 comments
My first 24 hour a-spec is at the nurburgring.

I crazily chose a BMW 320i touring car, 277 hp to do the job. I was weighing up on the starting grid whether to use the stage 2 turbo (344hp) or not, but decided to give myself a challenge against this lineup:

Toyota Superautobacs APEX MR-S
AMG Mercedes 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II Touring Car
Opel Calibra Touring Car
Nissan Falken GT-R Race Car
Nissan C-West Razo Silvia (JGTC)
BMW 320i Touring Car

Hour 1

The Opel, Falken and myself have a tremendous battle for the first 3 laps. As predicted, I have a massive horsepower disadvantage and have to drive the wheels off the little 320i through the corners to keep up. I start on R1 so I was hoping I would have a tire wear advantage. The falken passed me on lap 4 and built a 13 second lead. Through lap 5 I was catching him and when he pulled into the pits at the end of lap 5 I was 4 seconds behind him, and thus retook the lead.

I pitted on lap 6 (at this stage I pulled away from the opel to the tune of 9 seconds). I rejoined in front of the Falken by about 2 seconds, but he passed me on lap 8, and as the hour ended I was 6 seconds behind him.

I planned to change to R2 tyres at the end of the first pitstop, but pushed ok before I had the chance to change over. Darn.

I am pessimistic at this stage.

Hour 2

The pattern repeats itself: the falken stops at lap 10, and I gain the lead, the Opel in 2nd. I pit on lap 11, but once again I muck things up and push the button before I could change to R2s!!!

I still come out in 2nd ahead of the Falken. We pass the Opel before he pits on lap 12. The falken passes me on lap 13, and I go off the circuit on lap 14, which could end up being the defining moment of the race.
I pit on lap 16 but put on R2 tyres this time. I hope it will give me a five second gain in lap speed. But crucially I rejoin behind the Falken. That may be the end of my hopes, unless these R2s do wonders. Hoping to get 5 laps out of them.

Fastest lap so far from the R1s is 7:34.069

Hour 3

The R2s did not have the gain I expected. I blame this on me losing horsepower after about 2 hours. Can someone clarify how much your horsepower drops during a race?

I retired after being 27 seconds behind the Falken on lap 19.

Last edited:
Nice write-up up to now.. I'm really interested in how your progress on this one'll be 👍

Well Audi Fan, I dont know if u already read the update, if so you're dissapointed, and if not you will be dissapointed mate :)

I have a suggestion for you, kiwi:
Maybe u can use an RE Amemiya.
Should give you a close race, looking at the specs.
Only 23 bhp more than the bmw but probably much faster.
Nice sound to :)

Cheers

I have a major problem:

My PS2 sometimes cuts out, a problem with the little needle that the adapter cable plugs into I think.

I bought a new adapter but that didn't work.

Now I might have to buy a whole new playstation:guilty:

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Certainly not the kind of problem you want for a 24 hour race.

Well Audi Fan, I dont know if u already read the update, if so you're dissapointed, and if not you will be dissapointed mate :)

Well, not disappointed, but kind of surprised you retired.. But reading your PS2 isn't working well, I'm not surprised anymore..

I have a major problem:

My PS2 sometimes cuts out, a problem with the little needle that the adapter cable plugs into I think.

I bought a new adapter but that didn't work.

Now I might have to buy a whole new playstation:guilty:

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Certainly not the kind of problem you want for a 24 hour race.

Well, I had problems with my old PS2, too.. I couldn't play any games, because it didn't read them.. I cleaned it and tried everything possible to get it work, but nothing worked.. So, I decided to buy a new one (09.03.2009) and it works perfectly..

There is no way I am doing a 24 hour race and come 2nd. I'm only going to do this once, so want the perfect combination of a close(ish) race but where I ultimately win if I drive well.

There was no way I was going to win with a 250hp BMW 320i (the hp dropped by 20 over 2 hours).

Anyway, looks like a new or a used PS2 is on the cards if I want to do these enduros.

Ahh wel flyingkiwi, maybe try the 4 hour with a challenging car. Hopefully you will catch the endurance bug and won't be annoyed at the concept of finishing a 24 hour race 2nd. Hey, I am throwing around the idea of entering a touring car in the Sarthe I 24hr and finish about 3rd, but beat the GT1 cars! Just do what you feel safe with, but I look forward to your return to the ring 24 hour!

kiwi- the hp loss killed my first attempt at the nurb 24, i entered in a lotus with few engine mods just weight reductions mainly and all was well for several hours until the AI suddenly started destroying me on the straight where once i held my own, then the chassis wore out and the car was hit by understeer. I redid the race starting with a extra 35bhp essentially as a surplus.

senamic- my big hope for GT5 enduros (aside from the usual weather, day/night transition etc) is that the extra cars in the race will allow a viable two-tier race.

8 GT1's and 8 LMP's on the same track... sweet.

kiwi- the hp loss killed my first attempt at the nurb 24, i entered in a lotus with few engine mods just weight reductions mainly and all was well for several hours until the AI suddenly started destroying me on the straight where once i held my own, then the chassis wore out and the car was hit by understeer. I redid the race starting with a extra 35bhp essentially as a surplus.

senamic- my big hope for GT5 enduros (aside from the usual weather, day/night transition etc) is that the extra cars in the race will allow a viable two-tier race.

8 GT1's and 8 LMP's on the same track... sweet.

2 words. CHRONIC MELTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy::ouch:

Back