FM4 A.I. at times very bad and ruins the fun!

• Thread starter tony2411
  • 21 comments
England
Bedfordshire
Overall I like FM4 quite a lot for the accurate physics when driving without aids. Only problem is the A.I that kind of sucks the fun out of the game at times.

Why on earth in some tracks in particular corners, they have a stupidly low entry speed for no reason every time, completely inconsistently with the entry speed they do on the other corners of the track... they do this on indianapolis, road atalanta, and in the bearnese alps circuits for example...
It's also very noticeable on lap 1 corner 1 of the Hokenheimring, slowing down to a crawl on the entrance for no reason!

The biggest parasite however is how they brake way way too much to avoid u at the slightest hint of cutting them off, even if you are pretty much on the racing line and don't suddenly change line. Say, you turn in as they are trying to out break you on the inside for example, leaving say 1 or half a metre, between the rear of your car and the front of theirs, they slow down so much, practically giving you an entire second's advantage! It's good they slow down a bit in that scenario, but not that they slow down so much!! It's because of this that when you are not in 1st position the race is so much harder compared to when you are in front. Anyone else notice this? If so does it happen in horizon as well?

The biggest parasite however is how they brake way way too much to avoid u at the slightest hint of cutting them off, even if you are pretty much on the racing line and don't suddenly change line. Say, you turn in as they are trying to out break you on the inside for example, leaving say 1 or half a metre, between the rear of your car and the front of theirs, they slow down so much, practically giving you an entire second's advantage! It's good they slow down a bit in that scenario, but not that they slow down so much!! It's because of this that when you are not in 1st position the race is so much harder compared to when you are in front. Anyone else notice this? If so does it happen in horizon as well?
Whats funny, is that this is the opposite of what people say about the AI lol. They usually complain about how the AI rams them off the road.

Whats funny, is that this is the opposite of what people say about the AI lol. They usually complain about how the AI rams them off the road.

Quite funny - I seem to be the victim of both. While the AI bunch up in Turn 1 of the first lap, you can get bumped by the AI at any time - ruining what would otherwise be a fast, clean lap. Thanks to the AI I get a lap time with "!" instead.

@ykiki: Oh it's useless to attempt a clean lap with the AI, considering you'll get the (!) if they happen to wander into the wake of your draft.

@tony2411: I'm not sure you'll have much luck finding a game that doesn't suffer from this problem. Every racing game I play has certain corners that the AI just doesn't "get", even if they're inhumanly perfect elsewhere. The AI in Forza Horizon seem to be more aggressive overall, but they're still timid in certain spots, and you can still scare them off by defending your position. Not to mention you can cut killer shortcuts on them across shoulders/grass.

My solution to this has always been to try slower cars and see if I can make up the difference in cornering. In Horizon I'll challenge S-class AI wanderers in a C-class car; not only does it make for a close finish but it's also good for 40k-50k credits each time.

I think the Ai is awesome and very intelligent. Now note they do have their moment when they all suddenly spin out, but overall their very clean. If i keep it clean with them they usually keep it clean and dont bump into me. If i do hit them mid corner they will come back at you.. seems fair to me.

Ahh, it's interesting to see folks still whinning and moaning about the AI.

Please go to GT5, and see how on-rails the AI is. No personality whatsoever!

Forza's AI has personality, and tends to at times, display errors real drivers are prone to.
Amid some bad racecraft, agreed!

Forza's AI has personality, and tends to at times, display errors real drivers are prone to.

Polyphony doing a bad job on GT5 doesn't excuse Turn 10 from resting on their laurels. It's time to stop giving Forza a pass.

I agree with somebodysb2, GT5 sucking doesn't mean anything for Forza's AI. It has it's moments, but there's still a lot of brakechecking, sideswiping, and just plain old ignoring. I feel like a lot of the times the AI just doesn't know how long it's car is, they try and tuck in behind but end up PIT manoeuvering me.

Not that I don't have some good races sometimes. I'm still trying like hell to beat the CCGT spec race. But there's a lot of room for improvement.

Hey, I didn't say it's passable. I'm just saying it isn't as bad as GT5, and that's saying something!

I agree that T10 has been resting on it's laurels and not innovating in this dept. the way they have in the physics and audio dept.

I guess the best thing you can do is to drive extra clean and not block or get in the way of their racing line. It's in heavy traffic and around corners they ram into you the most. So try not to get in their racing line. Necessary evil I'm afraid, in order to get some decent gameplay out of long races. Unless you don't mind taking some damage here and there.

The AI left a big WTF on my face when I popped up Forza 4 for the first time. But I've learned to live with it, as the game has it's moments. And it's those other moments, full of sheer adrenaline and thrill of racing, that keep me full.

Happy motoring mateys! Aaarrrr!

Honestly, the AI is pretty good if you have time to give it space and pass it cleanly. But a lot of the races are so short that you're forced to drive like a homicidal maniac in order to win, and the AI responds in kind.

It's probably the best AI I race against outside of pCARS, and the pCARS AI takes a lot of set up work to get it working right. Probably because it's still in alpha. ;) But yeah, FM4 is decent.

But a lot of the races are so short that you're forced to drive like a homicidal maniac in order to win, and the AI responds in kind.

This is the biggest problem, they really leave no option other than to drive dirty when you start 6th for a 3 lap race on a track with little to no passing spots.

Granted there are other pretty serious problems like the A.I. turning right into you at the start.

This is the biggest problem, they really leave no option other than to drive dirty when you start 6th for a 3 lap race on a track with little to no passing spots.

Granted there are other pretty serious problems like the A.I. turning right into you at the start.

Drive faaaaster 👍

tony2411
Why on earth in some tracks in particular corners, they have a stupidly low entry speed for no reason every time, completely inconsistently with the entry speed they do on the other corners of the track... they do this on indianapolis, road atalanta, and in the bearnese alps circuits for example...
It's also very noticeable on lap 1 corner 1 of the Hokenheimring, slowing down to a crawl on the entrance for no reason!

Are you playing the World Tour (I think it's called) or Event List? If the Event List, are you on Professional AI difficulty? If World Tour, are you just a few seasons in or several? In World Tour, the AI starts off easy and, as you continually win races, the AI ramps up until you are eventually challenged, unless you're good enough that even Professional doesn't challenge you.

On lower AI settings, they slow more for corners and take corners more slowly. This was a more realistic change versus previous FM games wherewith lower AI was instead slowed on straights by having less power, as I recall. More realistic was to leave their car performance normal and instead make their drivers more insecure in their cornering ability.

The AI isn't very good, true. If you think that your average random online lobby is any better, you're sorely mistaken. So, yeah. Not much to do about it. Also, I have yet to play a racing game with a truly impressive AI. If you want good, clean racing, try to get into a racing league or something like that. Only way, really.

Are you playing the World Tour (I think it's called) or Event List? If the Event List, are you on Professional AI difficulty? If World Tour, are you just a few seasons in or several? In World Tour, the AI starts off easy and, as you continually win races, the AI ramps up until you are eventually challenged, unless you're good enough that even Professional doesn't challenge you.
Honestly, I went through the entire World Tour for the acheivement, and I don't think the AI ever ramped up in difficulty. They remained dumb as rocks and prone to mistakes through the whole thing.

At least from my experience, Professional difficulty in the Event List is superior to anything the World Tour can throw at you.

The AI really are pretty bad. I am in the last tier of the World Champ. And they have gotten very aggressive. I'm talking Grid aggressive for anyone who's played that. Start passing these morons and wham off I go with the old front of the car grenade launch. But that's not really what I'm here to add.

I was pretty p.o.'d about the whole thing so I decided to simply let everybody by in the next race (R3 class) at Nurb. G.P.. So I'm just cruising along in last and the AI starts to slow down. Hmmmm that's interesting, so I slow down to match them. We're going around 4th gear turns at 35-40 mph! I stayed in last and cars started flying off into the sand and driving parallel to the track. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. They were determined to not let me finish last.

Since this happened I have found that taking last place for half of the race dramatically slows them down. Then I just ramp it up and they never adjust. I almost lapped the field at Road Atlanta. At least it keeps them from blasting me off when they choose.

I was pretty p.o.'d about the whole thing so I decided to simply let everybody by in the next race (R3 class) at Nurb. G.P.. So I'm just cruising along in last and the AI starts to slow down. Hmmmm that's interesting, so I slow down to match them. We're going around 4th gear turns at 35-40 mph! I stayed in last and cars started flying off into the sand and driving parallel to the track. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. They were determined to not let me finish last.

Since this happened I have found that taking last place for half of the race dramatically slows them down. Then I just ramp it up and they never adjust. I almost lapped the field at Road Atlanta. At least it keeps them from blasting me off when they choose.

That's the dynamic A.I putting it on the easiest possible setting where it's somewhat designed to make mistakes and drive grandma slow.

The problem i have is how they rarely let you by on the inside of the corners so , you either have to ram in to them or drive around the outside to pass them or try to pass them on the straights if you got the power to do so , at least for me that is the problem .

If you try to sneak in on them by taking the inside the line, they'll ram into you for sure, as they try very hard to hold on to their line.

If you're already approaching them and manage to get on the inside line before they do, that's when they won't ram into you. Varies from AI driver to driver at times.

Or you could just draft your way in and break at the last sec!

I read somewhere that a guy which is modding Forza was able to make the AI to act/drive much more realistic as it is in the 'normal' Forza. I guess that Turn 10 hasn't used all of the Forza AI potential so the AI acts dumb even though it was possible to make it far better

Back