FM4 has my respect now

• Thread starter Zebrawire
  • 21 comments
United States
Florida
I have been really dissapointed with how super easy "World Tour" is. I am on level 70. I finally decided to play in Event mode. Wow! what a difference with the AI difficulty. Now FM4 has my respect. It is now a lot of fun. I probably wont be going back to WT until everything is played out. I do not understand why the heck they did not make a competitive option for WT. Does WT ever get competitive like the Event mode? I only did one race in Event (R1 cars) and it was great. ;)

Yep, agree. I gave up with WT after a handful of races. It's so tedious winning every race by a country mile. I'm actually quite amazed how good racing the AI in the event list is (especially post patch). I am just constantly impressed by this game!

WT is still rather difficult for me at times... Driving with every aid off on a controller might be the problem but still.

It would have made sense to provide a more competitive level in WT but maybe T10 intended this mode as the way for the "average" gamer to experience what the game has to offer and make some quick cash (instead of "grinding", if you know what I mean).

I also was surprised at the AI competitiveness when trying two or three of the events from the list - the challenge returned, especially when using simulation steering after the latest update :ouch:

Another tip for getting the most out of the single player game:

When playing races in the Event List, you can adjust the settings so that the AI use stock cars*. This means you can be competitive also using a stock car (albeit one that is roughly around the PI of the AI cars**. This way you can actually experience the real (simulated) nature of the 500 cars T10 have modeled.

Tunings great an' all, but ultimately the idea of tuning is generally to make the cars more drivable. I personally like to know if a 458 suffers understeer or if it can compete with a Gallardo etc.

*OK, you'll loose a few CR, but it's nothing compared to what you can earn from the Rivals mode money machine.

**If you want to use a car but the PI is too low, just do a single, simple upgrade that doesn't affect handling (eg exhaust).

Thought I'd share this, hope I'm not stating the obvious... :lol:

I never started WT Mode and won't because I won't know what cars to use next to complete the game. But the AI in Event Mode is horrible. They intentionally slow the car down in front of you while taking the best driving line and don't leave any room to pass on either side as you exit the turn, then suddenly they take off faster than me :confused: All the while the car behind me does not take the turn as slow as the car in front, this is apparently how they create the 'close racing' they bragged about in the pre-release press. They have some AI tweaking to do imo, but I will say this. It's head and shoulders better than GT5 AI :D

Jerome

Another thing you could do is use a car in the same class but with a lower PI number. For instance, say there's a race in the World Tour mode that says a Class D car is required, and the PI number is 350. Find a car in your garage that is a class D, but with a PI number of around 330 or lower even, for more of a challenge. I'm pretty sure there's an option for "Race Anyway," when that message pops up telling you your car may not be competitive enough for this event or whatever.

Me personally, I'm having fun on World Tour regardless. I think the main purpose of the World Tour mode is so you can use your favorite cars to race with, instead of requiring you to use a certain make or model of car, even if you don't like said automobile.

I think I saw a video somewhere of Turn 10 describing what the World Tour mode is before the game came out. I'll have to find it again. But I'm pretty sure that's what they said in the video about World Tour. Basically they're not forcing you to use a certain type of car for each event, you can use whatever car you want...

I know the AI can be quite easy at times in WT mode but I really dig this mode. Just feels fresh all the time cycling through cars for me. I tend to race 1-3 events with the same car but try to shuffle a bit and then sometimes I'll go back to events list and do a few more races. I've built up a nice stable of cars now. Only have affinity level 12 for 3 car brands and a bunch that are at least level 4 (free mods) so that level50 for one auto maker is going to take me some time. I have not really noticed a dramatic difference in AI in events list compared to WT mode but maybe because I do more WT mode than anything.

I never started WT Mode and won't because I won't know what cars to use next to complete the game. But the AI in Event Mode is horrible. They intentionally slow the car down in front of you while taking the best driving line and don't leave any room to pass on either side as you exit the turn, then suddenly they take off faster than me :confused: All the while the car behind me does not take the turn as slow as the car in front, this is apparently how they create the 'close racing' they bragged about in the pre-release press. They have some AI tweaking to do imo, but I will say this. It's head and shoulders better than GT5 AI :D

Jerome
I agree. The AI is programmed ridiculously, e.g.....ram you from behind, "rubberbanding", slow down abrubtly at 150mph on a straight, and you rear end them or your car looses control. This is not how any real race drivers behave. I have never once been rammed from behind in F1 Codies games. Turn 10 should be embarased. Why would they program the AI to ram you is way beyond me. It's suppose to simulate a race, not a demolition derby.

Another tip for getting the most out of the single player game:

When playing races in the Event List, you can adjust the settings so that the AI use stock cars*. This means you can be competitive also using a stock car (albeit one that is roughly around the PI of the AI cars**. This way you can actually experience the real (simulated) nature of the 500 cars T10 have modeled.

Tunings great an' all, but ultimately the idea of tuning is generally to make the cars more drivable. I personally like to know if a 458 suffers understeer or if it can compete with a Gallardo etc.

*OK, you'll loose a few CR, but it's nothing compared to what you can earn from the Rivals mode money machine.

**If you want to use a car but the PI is too low, just do a single, simple upgrade that doesn't affect handling (eg exhaust).

Thought I'd share this, hope I'm not stating the obvious... :lol:
On the contrary, could you elaborate on what you do with the AI settings (stock cars) Thanks

On the contrary, could you elaborate on what you do with the AI settings (stock cars) Thanks

It's a setting under difficulty in the pre-race menu. Something like 'AI Upgrade' set it to 'stock'.

I had some great races today in an event called 'Supercar Challenge' or something -I used a Mclaren F1 (pi ~665), M. Rossi was in a Reventon (pi ~675) and there were various other exotics like RUF's and other Mclarens. Great fun!

Am I the only one who hasn't experienced being rammed from behind by the AI? They brake check me and block my path at times but I've never been rammed from behind. In FM3 I recall it a few times when I braked early and hard but in FM4 I haven't experienced it from what I remember.

/\ I get rammed from behind only when the car in front of me goes way slower than normal. Only to then see they magically take the same turn faster on the next lap once I've passed them, hmmmm.....

Jerome

Another thing you could do is use a car in the same class but with a lower PI number. For instance, say there's a race in the World Tour mode that says a Class D car is required, and the PI number is 350. Find a car in your garage that is a class D, but with a PI number of around 330 or lower even, for more of a challenge. I'm pretty sure there's an option for "Race Anyway," when that message pops up telling you your car may not be competitive enough for this event or whatever.

Me personally, I'm having fun on World Tour regardless. I think the main purpose of the World Tour mode is so you can use your favorite cars to race with, instead of requiring you to use a certain make or model of car, even if you don't like said automobile.

I think I saw a video somewhere of Turn 10 describing what the World Tour mode is before the game came out. I'll have to find it again. But I'm pretty sure that's what they said in the video about World Tour. Basically they're not forcing you to use a certain type of car for each event, you can use whatever car you want...
Yea, I do that. It is a good workaround. I have also run a race from start to finish in third gear(h shifter) and won by a country mile. And yes, using a car of your choice is a great feature. All in all it is a great game.;)

Am I the only one who hasn't experienced being rammed from behind by the AI? They brake check me and block my path at times but I've never been rammed from behind. In FM3 I recall it a few times when I braked early and hard but in FM4 I haven't experienced it from what I remember.

I have been rammed but very infrequent - most of the times my fault for driving erratic or braking too early. I avoid getting myself in vulnerable positions and have found many times that the AI will go out of their way to avoid me. I don't mind the behavior AI at all - could be better but I haven't found a game with perfect AI.

I haven't been rammed from behind too many times, but the thing that always happens that annoys me is when they just move over on you on a straight and push you off the track, especially on start straights.
Also when I'm right behind the AI, they brake in a lot of weird spots causing you to hit them, like on the exit of corners when they touch the ripple strip

I find the AI in Event List to behave pretty good, it's not perfect, but I can have a lot of fun racing with it.

I don't know if it adapts to your style, but I always race clean and the AI seems to as well (getting rammed from behind happens very infrequently, such that I'm prepared to accept it as 'driver error' rather than aggression). I have a feeling that the AI has a way of trying to match your aggression.

As said above, I avoid vulnerable situations (as I would do with human opponents) and this seems to work well. I'm seriously preferring the AI to the public hoppers ATM!!

The only real issue I have, is that it always ends up being a 3 horse race between me and the 2 best AI drivers, but again that's fairly similar to human races.

This may be just me being an average driver/Forza noob, but has anyone else gotten pit maneuvered by the AI? It seems to be on several occasions that they've done it, it was near turns and they weren't backing off when they didn't have a chance to make a clean pass.

I haven't either

I've noticed the "auto-upgrade" function is stupidly biased toward acceleration and speed. When it gave me my gift McLaren F1 it upped the power and kept the stock tires, and my gift Aussie-V8-Supercar-thing reminded me of the cars I'd build in Gran Turismo 3 when I was 15. It was just a molten rubber factory.

Point is, that's the same system that upgrades the AI cars.

...the AI in Event Mode is horrible. They intentionally slow the car down in front of you while taking the best driving line and don't leave any room to pass on either side as you exit the turn, then suddenly they take off faster than me :confused:

Back