FM4 Livery Editor: Screenie Request

• Thread starter Rue
  • 9 comments

Rue

Apparantly...
Premium
Hong Kong
Hong Kong SAR
Hi all FM4 painters. I have a request that I would love answered. I put countless hours into the livery editor in FM2 and quite a lot of time into the one in FM3. I am really interested to know what changes have been made to the editor in FM4 (if any) and would be hugely grateful if someone could post up some screen-shots as I can't find any on the web anywhere.

Pretty please... :)

There aren't many differences in between FM3 and FM4. The most obvious thing is two new pages of "community" shapes. Some of these are really good and others make me wish that I saw the thread on submitting community shapes earlier. The unfortunate thing is that while some of the new shapes are useful, they appear to be somewhat low resolution. When scaled up a lot of the curved shapes lose their smooth arcs. My favorite new shape is the egg one but it's so "low poly" that I often revert back to just using the circle.

newshapes.png

newshapes2.png

In the editor itself, a lot of stuff remains unchanged. One thing I hate is that they put the options in a tiny box so you have to scroll down from the list to do stuff like "unhighlight all layers" (it would've been nice to have a shortcut to do this as well)

cutoff.png

Other changes:
  • Lighting is a lot better in the editor now. It's that spotlight homespace you've seen pictures of.
  • Metallic/Special paints will shine through dark livery colors now which is quite annoying.
  • Loading vinyl groups is a lot faster; you can scroll through them before they all load which is nice.

It would be great to have a grid view of vinyl groups though or at least a way to sort them.

3atatime.png

You can only do 3 at a time and it sorts by date created (and all the FM3 imports are all mixed up) so it's a bit of a mess.

You can see a sped up video of me working with an emoticon here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzeepJgpbTE I'll probably be doing more of these types of videos in the future too.

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Brilliant! Thanks so much for taking the time to give us some info and put up some screens. I'm on the verge of falling asleep at my keyboard right now, but I will sure to have a closer look tomorrow. :cheers:

EDIT: So there are no shortcuts at the bottom of the editing screen anymore? That seems a very odd decision. I can imagine it being a right pain in the rear to have to go through a menu each time you want to copy a layer, etc. Liked your emoticon, btw! :)

Finally they added the outer line circle, that will make it much easier to fix the problem with my GTPlanet logo lol. I wish they'd add more to it though, I mean ever since FM3 there hasn't been much big revolutions with the livery editor.

I wish they'd add cool things like, the ability to merge two shapes together to form a new one. Maybe have a button to optimize a side panel or something or compress it properly like an image so you could bump up the maximum layer count. I agree there should be a way to add folders for vinyl groups and give us a way to sort them out instead of having the huge list sorted by date. There are so many things they could do with it without having to make too many compromise. Ah well, let's hope for the next title they try to develop it a bit further, community vinyls is a nice addition though.

Rue
EDIT: So there are no shortcuts at the bottom of the editing screen anymore? That seems a very odd decision. I can imagine it being a right pain in the rear to have to go through a menu each time you want to copy a layer, etc. Liked your emoticon, btw! :)

Whoops sorry if I was a bit unclear. I meant that I wish they added additional shortcuts like grouping layers together, unselecting all layers, etc. There are some features like more easily mirroring/flipping individual layers/groups, "snap" to degrees like 45/90/180/etc. and some other stuff I'd really like to see but it is what it is.

Finally they added the outer line circle, that will make it much easier to fix the problem with my GTPlanet logo lol. I wish they'd add more to it though, I mean ever since FM3

?Unfortunately the person that submitted those made them all gradients. It doesn't really show in my screen since it has been resized too much. The second page seems like the worst offender as far as low res shapes go. Looking at community vinyls 2 really makes me regret not submitting stuff. :lol:

I think the import thing is a bit misleading as I've only imported the first 3 and then just load it from the FM3 save directly if it isn't one of those already in the FM4 save.

Not really a decal question, but does matte paint finally make it to FM4?

The problem with matte right now is that it's all or nothing and only a few cars have it. The shaders for matte paint don't look quite right now either so it's probably for the best that everyone can't paint their cars matte.

No flat wheels for the most part either. :/

As someone completely new to the Xbox and Forza series I'm finding the learning curve quite steep for the livery editor... some of the creations are outstanding!

I have had a bit of practice with PC based editors for GTR2 and rFactor however.

But the biggest gripe (if it exists I cant find it) is the ability to cut or trim shapes, if I have overhanging shapes I cant just trim the excess... now THAT would be really handy!

Back