For all those of you who might not know..

• Thread starter fernandito
  • 4 comments

fernandito

(Banned)
Spain
Spain
Probably most of you folks with the Steam version were aware of this, but I for one wasn't at all.

It is no secret that Dirt Rally 2 optimization at least on the PC version leaves a lot to be desired, and update after update we've seen no improvements in that area particularly. One of the main hogs (besides advanced blending but that was a classic that everybody knew it should be turned off and that was all) seemed to be the crowd. Anytime you passed through sectors were the bunch was there cheering, your frames per second and frametimes suffered like crazy and introduced that heavy shuttering when taking corners next to the crowds.

Well, I was browsing the steam forum and just found this, which by the way is one month old:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/690790/discussions/0/1652169858535404661/?ctp=2

Looks like disabling the CPU 0 in dirtrally2.exe-affinity settings does the trick for everything regading shuttering. I've just tried it and I have had some laughable +30FPS boost at all times on high settings, and I can also set the crowd back to high settings too. When you pass through the bunches your FPS will still suffer, but it is the usual thing like in other games. I mean It seems back to normal. No more shuttering in those corners too (before you had to set the crowd to low).

Your load times in your ssd will also see a huge huge improvement. In my case these were of about 12-13 seconds, and now It takes only six (Samsung Evo 850; 16RAM; i74790k; 970G1). The gain is insane, literally.

Hope it helps for all those of you who didn't know about this as well. Just disable cpu-0 in dirtrally2.exe affinity settings, and literally laugh at the overall improvements.

Thank you Codemasters for nothing by the way. It is baffling that some random guy in the internet has to come and fix what you cannot, but if it has to be that way then so be it. And only by unchecking one box omg codies really..

This makes no difference for me, I just tried it while watching the FPS in MSI Afterburner and it made literally no difference. Though I never had stuttering or bad loading times in the first place so maybe it affects some systems and not others.

My specs are similar to yours as well. i7 4790K, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 is on a Kingston A400 240GB SSD, the game is on a Kingston A400 960GB SSD. GPU is GTX 1660. I have the game vsynced at 75fps on a 75Hz monitor and it never dips below that (I've adjusted a few settings including crowd on low). If I turn the crowd up to ultra then I get dips to the 60s in crowded areas, which is the exact same in the same place, even if I change the CPU affinity as you did.

That's right, no difference, the times were already short enough. Compared to DiRT 4 where the stages could take a minute to load (I didn't time it but it seemed like a minute).

Back