Force feedback Pro - doesn't turn at full lock!

• Thread starter JB0
  • 12 comments

JB0

I recently bought a logitech force feedback pro. When using it with GT Prologue it presents quite a problem. When I brake whilst turning on full lock - the car ceases to turn and just moves forward only. This is the case in both normal mode and 900 degree mode.

I have tried the wheel with GT3 and it is fine. I have also tried it with both the Korean version and Chineese version of GT Prologue - and both versions of Prologue present the same problem.

I have had a look around the formus, but didn't find anything similar.

Has anyone had a similar problem to this one? - and if so, any solutions?

Thanks.

Originally posted by JB0
I recently bought a logitech force feedback pro. When using it with GT Prologue it presents quite a problem. When I brake whilst turning on full lock - the car ceases to turn and just moves forward only. This is the case in both normal mode and 900 degree mode.

I have tried the wheel with GT3 and it is fine. I have also tried it with both the Korean version and Chineese version of GT Prologue - and both versions of Prologue present the same problem.

I have had a look around the formus, but didn't find anything similar.

Has anyone had a similar problem to this one? - and if so, any solutions?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that I've ever used full lock and braking in Prologue as I always drive 900 mode and normal driving should never require full lock. Exception to this would be coffee break 5 in the narrow section. But I haven't experienced the problem there. I'll test this, but it looks like you might just somehow have gotten one of the very first batch that was produced, which is known to have these issues. Not many of them were distributed, but who knows. Anyway I'll test if this is a common problem, but I've not heard about it otherwise and haven't had a single problem in the Korean Edition so far (and I do spend a *lot* of time driving).

So I don't think there'd be harm in starting to find out how to have it exchanged ... .

Thanks Arwin.

You mentioned that you use 900 mode all the time - that must be quite tiring! I have been using it for the tests with the slower road cars - however I find it difficult with the faster cars, as I can't turn fast enough (and nearly impossible with coffee break 5 as you mentioned).

I think our driving styles must be a bit different, because I often use full lock and then allow the degree of turning to be determined by my acceleration/braking levels. It seems to get me some reasonable times.

If you do end up trying it out, I'd love to know whether yours does the same.

Originally posted by JB0
Thanks Arwin.

You mentioned that you use 900 mode all the time - that must be quite tiring! I have been using it for the tests with the slower road cars - however I find it difficult with the faster cars, as I can't turn fast enough (and nearly impossible with coffee break 5 as you mentioned).

I think our driving styles must be a bit different, because I often use full lock and then allow the degree of turning to be determined by my acceleration/braking levels. It seems to get me some reasonable times.

Most cars don't require full lock for turning, you need to slow down the car and find an optimal balance between turning the wheel and slowing down in order to get the best turn. If you turn your wheel too far, you decrease rather than increase grip as you force the car into sliding.

I think my times will speak for themselves here. :lol: Compare them with your own if you like, they're to be found at http://db.granturismo.de/gt4p_license.php ... check the purple times and coffee break times, those I've given the most attention. ;)

Arwin,

I agree - many cars don't require full lock for turning, but in some circumstances it can be beneficial. It is particularly suited to my driving style in New York (where my times are quite reasonable).

I think my times will speak for themselves here. Compare them with your own if you like, they're to be found at http://db.granturismo.de/gt4p_license.php

I am aware of the database, and have a glance every now and then. Seeing as we mentioned Coffee break 5 earlier - how does a 34.266 sound?

Btw - that program you created for extracting GT file information is fantastic!

Originally posted by JB0
Arwin,

I agree - many cars don't require full lock for turning, but in some circumstances it can be beneficial. It is particularly suited to my driving style in New York (where my times are quite reasonable).

I am aware of the database, and have a glance every now and then. Seeing as we mentioned Coffee break 5 earlier - how does a 34.266 sound?

Btw - that program you created for extracting GT file information is fantastic!

34.266 is awesome! Best time in the db! I'd post it. :) I'm sticking to 900 degree mode there though because it is more fun by far ... :D Besides I'm sort of considering it cheating - it would be the same as driving with a modded car (powersteering mod). :D

But note that for cars like the BMW McLaren, turning about 45 degrees either way already gives you full lock.

New York requires full lock least of all I thought ... :confused: And my times there aren't too bad either (see lesson 13 :D).

The more I think about it, the more unlikely I think it is that I've ever braked while steering full lock. Not exactly typical driving, that ... :D But I will try this weekend.

In the meantime, why not post all your times at the db? :)

I have considered posting a few times to the database - but I haven't even had a go at all of the tests yet - so I thought I'd wait until I got through most of them.

I'm going to pull the wheel out again today, after what you mentioned about the Mclaren and 45 degrees being full lock. I guess I had just presumed that it would require the complete revolutions like some of the slower cars.

Let me know what happens when you try out the full lock and braking - I'm really curious to see if it's just my wheel or not.

Also - on the subject of the database: is there a thread somewhere (or someone I can email who is the authority) outlining the rules more specifically? I have read the rules very carefully - however am still a little unsure on a couple of things. For example, nudging other cars in prologue - is it allowed, or does the game determine whether you fail or not? and what if they bang into you?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by JB0
Let me know what happens when you try out the full lock and braking - I'm really curious to see if it's just my wheel or not.
It's not just your wheel but normal physics of a car, try driving a real car and you'll find out they behave almost exactly like cars in GT4 prologue when played with the wheel..

It's not just your wheel but normal physics of a car, try driving a real car and you'll find out they behave almost exactly like cars in GT4 prologue when played with the wheel..

I disagree. If you turn your car's steering (real life) to full lock and then apply the brakes - the car will continue to turn (as long as the front wheels haven't locked up from excessive braking).

Please bear in mind that I am not referring to normal front end ploughing (ie: excessive braking and turning causing the front wheels to loose grip). I do know the difference. The handling of the wheel at full lock is very unusual. I have compared it to both the DS2 and the old force feedback wheel - and neither exhibit this problem.

At full lock, under brakes - does your wheel behave differently to your DS2?

Originally posted by JB0
If you turn your car's steering (real life) to full lock and then apply the brakes - the car will continue to turn (as long as the front wheels haven't locked up from excessive braking).
Yes that's true actually but the amount the car will turn is so minimal I don't even consider it turning :P

I think when u play GT4P with the DS2 controller, the front wheels will turn only as much as the car's speed will allow it to turn, without losing grip in the front wheels. When you hold left on the left analog stick and accelerate, the wheel turn will fluctuate, depending on the available grip, i.e. when you're standing still, the front wheel will rotate all the way, while when you're speeding, it will not.

The Driving Force Pro allows for actual car-like wheel turn.. unlike the DS2.

Originally posted by JB0
I have considered posting a few times to the database - but I haven't even had a go at all of the tests yet - so I thought I'd wait until I got through most of them.

I'm going to pull the wheel out again today, after what you mentioned about the Mclaren and 45 degrees being full lock. I guess I had just presumed that it would require the complete revolutions like some of the slower cars.

Also - on the subject of the database: is there a thread somewhere (or someone I can email who is the authority) outlining the rules more specifically? I have read the rules very carefully - however am still a little unsure on a couple of things. For example, nudging other cars in prologue - is it allowed, or does the game determine whether you fail or not? and what if they bang into you?

Thanks for your help.

I tried it with the March, and have no such problems, neither in 900 nor 180 mode. I've just driven circles at full lock and braked, and the car would come to a stop while still making the circle and with the wheels fully turned. No problem. Tried the same thing with the Takata, and no problems there either - the car will straighten out a slight bit at higher speeds, but that's normal physics like Speed Drifter mentioned. In short, it seems to be either your wheel or your copy of GT4P but if you have it with both Korean and Chinese or Japan versions than it sounds like it could be your wheel. That would make more sense anyway, because I don't recall hearing from anyone with this problem before, and I check out pretty much all GT4 Prologue Forums in existance. :lol:

Flinx does still have occasional instances of losing the wheel completely however, and he too has a very early model (he had one of the first ones). So it could definitely be related to early model issues.

Thanks Arwin - I appreciate the reply. It looks like I'll have to take mine back - because it sounds like yours is doing exactly what I would expect it to do.

Back