• 7 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
wGxjQ0o.png
Ford Cougar 2.5i 24v '98
wGxjQ0o.png

file.php

The Ford Cougar is a large coupé car in the European market between 1998 and 2002, and the Australian market between 1999 and 2004. The car was originally intended to be the third generation Probe, but after a rationalisation of the three coupés available in the United States, the Probe name was dropped in favour of the Cougar.

The Cougar was Ford's second attempt to reintroduce a sports coupé in Europe, in the same vein as the successful but long-absent Capri – the first attempt having been the Mazda MX-6-based Probe. Just as the Capri had been based on the Cortina, the Cougar was based on the large family car available at the time, the Mondeo. It premièred in December 1998 to mixed reviews, partly due to the then-new and controversial New Edge styling - a crisp style which was subsequently applied to most of the Ford range. Unlike its famous forebear, the Capri, Cougar sales were never brisk, despite good reports of the model as a "driver's car".

Like its (indirect) predecessor, the Ford Probe, the 1998 Cougar was sold and built in the United States. Although cars destined to be sold in Europe and the UK were finished in Ford's Köln plant in Germany, where the cars had European specification lighting installed, Ford badges applied (and in the case of UK and Australian cars, converted to right hand drive), in the US it had different branding, in this case being branded as the Mercury Cougar, while in Europe and Australia it was known as the Ford Cougar.

In the United Kingdom, Ford unveiled the car at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1998.

The Cougar came equipped with the 2.0 litre (16v) Zetec or 2.5 litre (24v) Duratec V6 engines with two specification levels, largely equivalent to a Mondeo Ghia (standard) and Ghia X (simply X). Manual and automatic transmissions were available. All variants came with 16" alloy wheels as standard.

The 2.0 litre version had 128 hp as standard, while the 2.5 was rated at 168 hp.

Specs:

file.php

file.php

Ah, I always liked this coupe, the Mercury version was even the first car I drove in GT2 when I was 5 years old. I'm giving this car my vote.

Back