• Thread starter JR98
  • 7 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
ot14.jpg

Indianapolis_Metropolitan_police_cruiser_1.jpg

The Ford Crown Victoria, commonly known as the Crown Vic, was a full sized sedan produced by Ford from 1992 to 2011 over 2 generations and replaced the ageing Ford LTD. The car was built on the Ford Panther platform, similar to later LTD models.

The Crown Vic shared major drivetrain and suspension components with the Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis and, along with the Lincoln and Mercury variants, was the last full-frame RWD passenger car produced in North America.

It's 230HP V8, RWD layout and it's incredible durability made it the car of choice for emergency services and cab companies all across the United States.

The Crown Vic went into it's 2nd Generation in 1998, and instead of borrowing styling cues with the Taurus, the Crown Vic shared many bodyparts with the more popular Mercury Marquis. To differentiate the cars, the Crown Vic was given larger headlights, bigger bumpers and a distinctive grill.

Mechanically, a revised four-link suspension was added to the rear axle and larger brakes due to the larger 16" wheels, and the car was powered by the 4.6 Modular V8. The car was Ford's flagship sedan until it was replaced in 2005 with the Ford 500, however the Crown Vic still outsold the 500.

In order to meet the demands of police departments across the country, in 1998 Ford released the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, commonly known as the CVPI. Changes to the CVPI include "Police Interceptor" badging on the rear of the car, black front grill and rear fascia and several heavy-duty mechanical upgrades.

In 2003, all Crown Victoria's gained a redesigned chassis, overhauled suspension, new shocks, alluminium control arms. Due to these upgrades, the Crown Vic's handling improved significantly, and the CVPI's safety was greatly increased for police applications while power output also increased.

In 2006, Crown Victoria sales dwindled to just over 3,000, compared to the 38,000 of the Mercury Grand Marquis, and Ford decided that starting with the 2008MY, all Crown Vic's would only be available through Ford Fleet and on June 21 2007, the Crown Victoria was removed from the Ford website, most likely to promote the 2008 Ford Taurus.

Also, with the descent into fleet-only sales across North America, the LX Premium Sport and Handling Package and the Handling and Performance Package (the only Crown Victorias produced for the North American market with dual exhaust, save for the Police Interceptor) were officially discontinued by Ford.

Specifications:
Body:
4 Door Sedan
Engine: Ford Modular 4.6 V8
Gearbox: 4 Speed Automatic
Power: 250 BHP
Aspiration: Naturally Aspirated
Weight: 1840 KG

ford-crown-victoria-police-interceptor-p71-police-package-5.jpg
ford-crown-victoria-police-interceptor-p71-police-package-6.jpg
sc2.jpg

Crown Vic? Yes Please!

I still sometimes see these around.
Now I've seen it all.
While Ford Taurus Police Interceptor are currently used here as cop cars, i don't remember them seeing them in Crown Vic's before. However i do remember seeing some random people driving CVPI edition instead of the usual civil one (probably Grey Imported since it's a common thing here).

WHY AM I ONLY SEEING THIS NOW?!

I would LOVE to see a Crown Victoria in GT Sport! Kaz has a knack for adding significant cars to Gran Turismo, and the Crown Victoria is definitely quite significant. Heck, the fact that you see them still being used in 2019 (albeit rarely) shows that most departments don't want to get rid of them.

And it's not due to lack of funding either. Even large cities such as Miami and San Francisco still have loads of Crown Vics in their fleet. It's a timeless vehicle that will never be forgotten, much like the Dodge Polaras and Caprice Classics from the olden days.

Given that it has 250HP, it would most likely be N300, but because it's geared for well over 200mph, it would make a fantastic Route X car if Slipstream were set to 'Strong'. However, because heavier cars have a tendency to handle obscenely good in GT, such as the Ram from GT4, and the Raptor in GT Sport, I feel like that would be the highlight of this car. As big as it is, it handles the road very well and it takes a lot to unsettle it.

Obviously it won't hold a candle to the much quicker KTM X-Bow and RX500, but against cars like the Fairlady Z 300ZX and Corvette C3 Stingray, I feel like it could stand a good chance.

I can confidently say that I would probably put over 10,000 miles on this car on GT Sport, EASY. Heck, I own one in real life, and I've loved it ever since I sat in it for the first time (in the front seat of course :P). Even if it wasn't the Police Interceptor model, and was just an LX or LX Sport, I would be all over it regardless. Long live the Panther Platform!

Back