Ford GT: The Hybrid Ferrari Killer

• Thread starter jgtc_lover
  • 20 comments
United States
California
DarkRedGT3
car_photo_421390_25.jpg

car_photo_421387_25.jpg

Source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/262957/ford_gt_returns_as_hybrid.html

Well, I'm sure we've all heard rumors of the next Ford GT being a hybrid, and it seems as if it may see the light of day. As seen in the concept images (by Auto Express, not by Ford) above, it, like the last GT, draws influence from the original GT40 (one of the most stunning cars ever made). The article above states that it is being designed with a supercharged V8 with a target of 600 bhp, with an additional electric motor that will power the front wheels. It is set to take on some of the newer super cars such as the Ferrari FF and Pagani Huayra and should be revealed during the Geneva Motor Show.

Last edited:
It's ugly… for a GT. Seiously this car looks way too different to bear the name Ford GT in my opinion. And the rear end looks like it's been recycled from that Shelby GR-1 Concept from a while ago.

Autoblog ran a similar story that the next Ford GT is being made and would be a hybrid.

The photos are fakes. Just an artist impression by autoexpress. Either way it looks a lot more like a Shelby Cobra Daytona with a little big of Ford GT90 than a Ford GT.

I don't mind it but either way it is no indicator of what the actual car will look like.

Autoblog ran a similar story that the next Ford GT is being made and would be a hybrid.

The photos are fakes. Just an artist impression by autoexpress. Either way it looks a lot more like a Shelby Cobra Daytona with a little big of Ford GT90 than a Ford GT.

I don't mind it but either way it is no indicator of what the actual car will look like.
I was hoping this, the more I look at these the more I'm disgusted by them. I loved the look of the recent GT with all those gorgeous curves. I hope Ford shoots for that instead of something with so many tight angles.

They didn't even redesign the wheels... God, this is one of the worst photoshopped design predictions ever made.....Call Teophillus Chin please....

Awful design, this is why I hate newer cars... Hybrids.... And ugly futuristic styling.

I preferred 90's cars, and even though this isn't a real car, or concept. I don't think it should carry the name "GT" anymore. Because, it isn't one.

I'm not enjoying the idea, I like the new age supercars like the Mercedes SLS E-Cell and the Porsche 918 (and at an extent, Tesla Roadster), and while that's probably not the look it'll have, a hybrid Ford GT makes no sense. I mean once the Focus Electric comes out, wouldn't Ford's CAFE have been fine enough to make a low production supercar without the electric wizz-bang and instead go with a NA V12 or Twin-Turbo V6/V8?

They should just put the GT90 into production, updating the parts and shove a hybrid in it! :D

Ford-GT90_Concept_1995_800x600_wallpaper_011.jpg

I agree with Muzaffar, they should just make a hybrid GT90, but they should also tone down the styling, and lighten the car a bit.

I actually don't mind it. It's got a hint of GT DNA in there and at least there's a little imagination. Lets face it, how many more times could you really rehash the GT40 shape? The last Ford GT was a great remake, but anything else you do would just be trying to modernise something that's already been modernised.

MINI know this concept well, and look at the eyesores they're churning out.

I'm not enjoying the idea, I like the new age supercars like the Mercedes SLS E-Cell and the Porsche 918 (and at an extent, Tesla Roadster), and while that's probably not the look it'll have, a hybrid Ford GT makes no sense. I mean once the Focus Electric comes out, wouldn't Ford's CAFE have been fine enough to make a low production supercar without the electric wizz-bang and instead go with a NA V12 or Twin-Turbo V6/V8?

It's not just about CAFE ratings. It's also about just saving money on fuel. Hybrid sports cars are actually a pretty good idea - you still get the great engines of regular sports cars and supercars, but when you're stuck in traffic, it's not using any fuel.

They didn't even redesign the wheels... God, this is one of the worst photoshopped design predictions ever made.....Call Teophillus Chin please....

Welcome to Auto Express predictions...

What the hell is AutoExpress anyway?

A UK weekly car magazine largely known for their over-use of exclamation marks and dodgy predictions of future vehicles.

Though a google search would have also given you an answer.

Omnis
What the hell is AutoExpress anyway?

UK car weekly magazine and sister site to EVO.com.

Edit: tree'd!

The render is irrelevant but I wouldn't be surprised if a hybrid GT successor was on the cards, it's a good trick to obtain low emission results in the tests and will give a power boost even if it is briefly.

Should've stuck with the Shelby GR1. As for the GT90 that look's even worse.

A UK weekly car magazine largely known for their over-use of exclamation marks and dodgy predictions of future vehicles.

Though a google search would have also given you an answer.
But not that answer, which is what he and I were both looking for. Judging by the quality of that rendering I immediately assumed it was an automotive Daily Mail.

But not that answer, which is what he and I were both looking for. Judging by the quality of that rendering I immediately assumed it was an automotive Daily Mail.

That wouldn't be far from the mark. One of their columnists in particular is the automotive equivalent of a Daily Mail contributor.

Back