Ford Iosis

Young_Warrior

(Banned)
his is the Ford Iosis. Great isn't it? A sort of Mondeo-sized four-door coupe. Think Mercedes CLS, but scaled down a bit.

Trouble is, you can't buy it. Not in this form anyway. But this car matters because it shows the kind of talents who are operating at Ford design these days, and the kind of freedom they are being given.

It shows some ideas that will take shape (literally) in the 2006 Mondeo, and more so in Fiestas and Focuses beyond.

The Iosis, though, is just a show car - a bit of stand-candy at the Frankfurt motor show from mid-September.

Press the unlock button and it's obvious this is just one-off. Presto, the doors themselves pivot upwards on an insanely expensive and complicated system of powered arms, like something arachnid. It's beautiful and scary at the same time.

That door opening is important because it properly reveals the extraordinary interior. Again, strictly a one-off. Can you imagine affording a real car where each facia vent was composed of 11 separate hand-made metal parts? But it's hinting that Ford cabins will become more driver-focused in future.

In fact that's really the whole point here. Fords are already exciting to drive. Better than many of the admired 'premium' brands. Even as it hobbles into its last year of life, the Mondeo is more fun than a brand-new equivalent Audi A4. So from now on Ford wants to do visual excitement like it does down-the-road excitement.

So what relationship does the Iosis have with the next Mondeo? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to deduce that the real Mondeo will have normal doors, smaller wheels and a black plastic dashboard.

It will have to have bigger windows at the back. The boot will have a lid that lets flat-pack wardrobes in. The roof will be higher.

So, says Martin Smith, Ford's European design chief, Iosis 'has elements of future Ford cars. But it's such a free interpretation of those elements that it couldn't possibly be the next Mondeo.

They are related though. If the Mondeo will be the older brother in the Boss suit, this is the younger brother, a super-fit boxer down the East End in a tracksuit.'

Iosis does tell us the design elements Ford will use. They're just exaggerated for effect here, so that they can get noticed over the babel of visual hubbub that is an international motor show.

Iosis elements that will be carried forward in mildly toned-down form include:

# Trapezoid lower grille
# Headlamp shape
# Bonnet flaring back from the upper grille
# Dishing at the base of the windscreen
# Big wheel-arches and the muscular contours above them
# Strong shoulders, and cut-in flanks below
# High prominent tail lamps echoing the headlamp shape
# Five-sided rear window.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Wow.

I've always been a Ford fan, but that is extra awesome.

The only sedan I can see Ford making the states that might be as cool, is a Falcon to replace the Crown Victoria.

ExigeExcel
I head it was luminous Orange inside.

It looks chunky at the front and Mazda6 at the back.

I dunno...I see Mazda RX-8 in the front fenders, and some weird mesh of the new Lexus L-Finesse design, with a touch of BMW 6 series in the bootlid.

Overall, I think it is the first exciting Ford Sedan I've ever seen.

This is only a concept though, isn't it?? I can't see this ever making production and if it does i don't think those doors would make it.

If you see a side shot of this car it looks very new Jag XK, i'll try and find a picture

I like the look too, but also think they borrowed too many details from other cars........ Lot of people think the same about the new Ford Fusion, that's due out soon.

fusion1.jpg

2006_fusion%5C2006-Ford-Fusion_front.jpg

I like the looks of this one too, I'm not a big Ford fan in general, I don't disslike them but I tend not to think about them, but I like this.

They didn't steal that stuff off of a Mazda RX8, that is a Mazda RX8... in drag. :lol:

But it is good looking.

That rear shot is fugly. it's got good shapes and lines, but no proportion.

head-on look sexy, though.

Klostrophobic
Looks cool, but I don't like the doors. You look like a **** when you have those. Just stupid.

Yeah...

plus, if you're tall like me, you'd have to be all hunched over getting in and out. it's "bad" enough getting out of regular-doored cars.

Well, naturally the fancy little swing up doors won't make it to production.

I just wonder if this is going to be another FWD snoozefest...

Or is this really going to crib more from the RX-8 than just the Fenders...like maybe the RWD layout...

Eh guys I dont know if you read the article or not but this car is neva goign to make it to production but instead showing off fords design and showing us what to expect in their future lineup.

This model shown won't make it into production, however it also says what elements will be carried over in toned down form, that will be a production car.

Looks like a Fusion had sex with an Eclipse and that was the bastard child by product. Doesn't look bad though, but I'm not a fan of gull wing doors.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but...

I don't get why Ford hasn't made this car it's like a newer version of the Mercury MC4 and has a lot more personality than a Fusion. Obviously, the gullwing doors wouldn't fly (no pun intended) but I think it's a great concept and one that looks production ready.

Damn right it'd be production-ready... I'm willing to bet it's merely a slight re-tooling of the RX8. Now who wouldn't want the RX8 chassis with one of the new Mazdaspeed 2.3 or 2.0 turbos? I know they can be mounted for front-midship duty, the new Caterham uses one.

But once a boring old fart, always a boring old fart. Ford seems bent on producing non-offensive and non-descript products. That includes the Mustang. Sure it's not non-descript, but by hewing as closely to "retro" as possible, it's completely non-offensive to Mustang lovers. :lol: Oh, yeah, it's pretty, but you know what I mean.

But there's so much potential for this car... great gas mileage via alternative fuel, efficent use of space, and price. Instead... a fat ass Fusion.

Lets follow GM and jump off a cliff with them. :dopey:

I'll say this is one of Ford's recent designs that I actually like, and was hoping it would be put into production, I'd love to see one on the road.
As for the Mercury MC4, I do think I prefer the Iosis in terms of design (although not sure about rear gullwings let along both.)

and even though i might be ridiculed, i kinda liked the unique truck lids on the mercury

Famine

Oh, yes, I definitely want the new ST, but there's no denying they cut no corners in working meticulously to make the new Focus a design no one could hate. Plus, they took away the RS. Sure, it made no sense financially, but it was a nice kick-ass halo car.

The old one may have had a crappy interior but it had edge... "New Edge", maybe, but at least it was still edgy.

The new Mazdas have some of that... some people may not like it, but it's bound to get your attention.

Sadly, with the Iosis only being a four seater and therefore not as "practical" or "economical" as the Fusion, it probably has a one in a million chance of seeing production.

Better start saving up, then. :lol:

Latest Posts

Back