Ford Model T track breakouts

Hey, i have been reading about people who managed to breakout of tracks ,like Nurburgring and El Capitan, using various tricks. However, the one that took my interest most was the Trial Mountain breakout using the Ford Model T, because its seemed to be car, rather than track or barrier, specific. Having had success breaking out of tracks using the other tricks, i decided to try the Model T on some tracks that, so far as i can attain from other threads, havnt been broken out of yet. So far i have had success breaking out of Autumn Ring, Opera Paris, New York, Fuji Speedway, Nurburgring (on the F1 track side), Tokyo 246 and a few others which i fail to recall at the moment.

My technique mainly involved using the car in arcade mode (for the extra 2hp and a little less weight) and simulation tyres. I try to get as much speed up as possible, running alongside the barrier i wish to breakthrough (so straights work best, depending on the barriers which i will go on to), and then sharply turning into the barrier before straightening the wheel so the car is sliding along at an angle of maybe 30 degrees. If it works, the front right or left wheel (depending on the side of the barrier) will suddenly give way, and the car will drive smoothly through, leaving you free to go wherever you like! The car will often ride up the wall or just grind to a halt, but i did seem to achieve a fairly hight break through rate, often only needing around 5 tries to break through. My other tip is that so far, i have only achieved the breakouts going along the barriers that look like silver armco. All the other barriers like tyre walls, concrete blocks and fences wouldnt work for me. Also, i found that breaking out in tunnels seemed to work well to, using the same technique, inspired by the original Trial Mountain discovery in the same car.
Another tip is that, as you break out, often the car will ride up the wall slightly, and when you break through it will stay at the angle it was at when it broke through, unless the area is solid ground (which i will also mention). Sometimes this will make the car difficult to control, in which case i recommend driving back onto the track and trying again (once you've done it once it gets easier to repeat).
The final thing is that very little of the area out side the track is actualy modelled in the same way that the track is. This means that alot of the time you will just float around at which ever height you broke out of the track at, although you can still control the car as you would normally. This also means that sometimes your car will be below the level of the track. When you are a couple of feet below the track, you will normally pop back up into the track, but if you are far enough below the track, you can drive straight under it, allowing you to explore further! The final thing that this means is that when you find a piece of road outside of the track that is modelled like regular track, your car will behave perfectly normaly on it (i'll call it solid ground later on). Sometimes your car will drop on to it which can be suprising, but when you drive off of it, your car will remain at that height and angle. This can be great if you broke out at an angle, makes getting around much easier.

At the moment B-spec Bobby is racing away for me, so untill he has his first LeMans victory under his belt, i can't do anything photo-wise, but hopefully i can have a few images up in the next couple of days if people want evidence of my claims! Until then, i urge anyone who wants to to have a go themselves to do so because it really isnt difficult but it is quite interesting, especially round the city tracks that have alot to look at! Would also love to hear from anyone who has had luck, be it good or bad, with this,

Yours... Mephi' xxx

Tracks i've broken out of;

~Nurburgring~
Practicly the whole of the Nurburgring has the armco style barriers, meaning that in theory you should be able to break out anywhere. The places where i have succeeded are as follows. The left hand side barrier leading towards the last sharp turn befor the start/finish line. The barriers on either side of the first down hill run after the start/finish line (good for picking up speed quickly). The left side barrier leading up to karussell corner. As far as i have found, there is no solid ground out side of the track, but there is alot of nurburgring, and i have looked round maybe 10% of it so who knows? Interesting points are the F1 track, which is modelled very basicly, and is not entirely true to the real track as the end of the main straight joins onto the fast right hander before the last chicane, making it a complete loop, but you cant drive actually 'on' it, just follow the course round over it. Also the original section that cut out the Karussell, but was closed due to being too fast and dangerous, is also modelled very basicly. Its at the right hand corner before karussell where you can see the track used to go straight on. Again you can't drive on it, but its interesting to see none the less.

~Fuji 80's~
Again, much of Fuji Raceway has armco barriers, so in theory most of it should be ok to break out of. The place i succeeded was the left hand side of the track after the first corner. As far as i remember, there is some solid ground around the pit lane.

~Fuji 90's~
See Fuji 80's.

~Fuji '05~
Similar to the other fujis, i managed to break out at the beginning of the long start/finish straight.

~Motegi East Short Course~
I found this track quite difficult. The only place where i got the impression that the car might, and eventually did, break through was at the entrance to the pit lane (the one where the pit entrance goes on the inside of a 180 degree hairpin bend). The short piece of barrier on the right hand side, just before the pit entrance (though i found running along this wall in the wrong direction worked best). There are pieces of solid track, the bits i found were on the parts of track that are used in other course layouts but are (normally) off limits to this layout, and some of the small paths and bits of grass around these parts.

~La Sarthe~
Like Nurburgring, La Sarthe has armco almost the whole way round so you should be able to break out anywhere. I succeeded along the long straight. As of yet, i havn't found any solid ground but i have explored very little of this track.

~Opera Paris~
The place i managed to break out here was on the right side barrier between the tight 180 degree hairpin, about half way round the track, and the chicane just before it. Unfortunatly i accidently drove back onto the track not long after having broke through, so had little chance to look around. i did however find a couple of bits of solid ground right next to where i broke out, and looking at the way the track was modelled, i'm pretty sure that there will be many more bits.

~Hong Kong~
Its been a long time since i drove round the Hong Kong track! So i apologise for not being able to remember very much. I managed the break out on the left hand side of the track after the first corner, along that fast piece of track with the right hand kinks in it. Although Hong Kong is my least favoured track in the game, i remember at being shocked at how interesting it was to drive round! I'm fairly sure there was solid parts of track, i will check next time i update this thread, and there was plenty of buildings and features to drive round and look at.

~Citta di Aria~
Tricky one this as, like Hong Kong, it was quite a while ago i did it... i believe i managed it on the left hand side of the long downhill straight round the bottom of the circuit. The only solid ground i found was opposite where i managed to break out (which i got to doing the under the track thing) and it was just a small steep hill. The problem i had was that because i broke out at nearly the lowest point of the track, meaning i couldnt really do much because of the driving under the track thing. So i'll have another try at something a bit more useful soon!
Ok, second go at this netted a much better result. managed to break out on the left side wall on the first down hill part of the normal course. This meant i was able to check out a few more of the little alleys and roads, and it turns out there all solid. The only trouble was the variation in height of the various roads, meaning it was a bit like falling down stairs, with no way of getting back up except to go back on track and break out again! So plan your trip carefully... lol.

~New York~
Another track which has alot of armco, and another track which i did a long time ago... I can't remember which way the New York track goes normally, but on the version that has the long 270 degree right hander at the start, it was the left hand side of the straight after that corner. Thats all i can remember of it for now, i will update soon though, theres alot i want to see there!

~El Capitan~
The place i managed to break out of here, using this technique anyway, was in the first tunnel on the left hand side. You quickly run into problems though as there are odd gradients everywhere which you cant see, and it seems to be the rally course surface your driving on. So in the Model T, there is next to no grip and you dont have enough power to beat the gradients. So instead of doing this, i reccomend you use the other technique for this track which can be found with a quick search, it works alot better, trust me!
Second go at this track found more or less the same, i had read reports that said you could drive the rally courses. Unfortunatly i didnt have any luck with this, the track is very basicly modelled, and i just floated above them the whole time.

~Trial Mountain~
The Original! Theres plenty thats already been posted about how to do this on other thread, with far more information than i can come up with here! So i reccomend a quick search for 'trail mountain breakout' for all your needs on this one.

~Autumn Ring~
On this track i managed to break out between turns 2 and 7 (around the chicanes), and have achieved it on both sides of the track. I didnt manage to find any solid ground to drive on though.
Attempt 2 at Autumn Ring was on the short course, because i wanted to see how much of the full course would be modelled, and it turns out not much, lol. I broke out in the same place as on the large track, and the bits of the large track that are modelled are solid, which is rougly up to the first hairpin, and just before the 270 degree corner.

Midfield
Broke out on the left side after the first corner (or 2 corners depending on your racing line). Not much to note other than theres some solid ground around the pits, and that out of the track, it feels like your driving on grass or dirt, without it actually being there...

Apricot Hill
I managed to break out of here twice in the space of about 3 mins, which was very lucky! First time was on the right side barrier before the last turn, second time was on the lefft side headed downhill towards the sharp hairpin. Not much to report other than some solid ground around the pits area.

Grand Valley East
I chose the East Course just out of curiosity as to whether the full course would be modelled or not. I broke out in the first tunnel that you come to, on the left side wall and found that indeed, about 90% of the rest of the track is modelled. The only bit that wasnt was the blue bridge just after the second tunnel, though the track surface with the bridges shadows was there but semi see-through. Intrestingly, the barriers were still solid around the full course, and if it wasnt for the bridge not being there (no barriers there), then i would have found myself stuck 'in' the outside of the track!!! which indeed did happen when i went to investigate the hairpin part of the track... which is also fully modelled, though without the white lines on the sides of the track. Hence, here endeth the report.

Tracks i havn't succeeded on yet; Laguna Seca (alternative method available), Tsukuba, Infinion Raceway, Suzuka, Almalfi, SSR5, Test Course, Beginners Course and Drag Strip.
Tracks i havn't tried yet; George V Paris, Seoul, High Speed Ring, Deep Forest, Seattle, Cote D'Azure and Motor Land.

Thats about as much as i can remember for the time being. When i get some more time i will try to add some more information. All other info welcome too. Would quite like to make a 'Breakout Guide' lol, but would need a bit of help with it... let me know if you are interested :)

Last edited:
Brilliant!

I wonder if it'd be better to advertise it or keep it quiet? It'd be fun to spring it upon the people with fast cars!

Thanks for the replies X-Power and EA11R!

X-Power, did you have any luck when you tried it? I'm hoping so, its pretty good fun when you get the hang of it.

I did wonder briefly about keeping quiet, it would be good fun to bring the nurburgring lap record down to about 20 seconds! But i decided that the well of knowledge that is the community of GTPlanet deserved to know!

If the interest in this thread picks up a little, then i might compile a full list of tracks that i managed to break out from, with details of where and how etc. Of course, any other details, tips or discoveries which anyonw else has will be more than welcome!

Mephi x

Thanks for the replies X-Power and EA11R!

X-Power, did you have any luck when you tried it? I'm hoping so, its pretty good fun when you get the hang of it.

Mephi x

Unfortunately, i found out i have not unlocked the Model T. I'm going to get cracking on golding those S licenses (to unlock the Model T).... wish me luck! :scared:

Aww, well good luck with that man. Or have you done it already?

Getting the Model T is the main headache of the technique unfortunatly, after that is pretty smooth running. I promise, lol.

Any one else tried this out yet?

Mephi x

P.s. Apologies for the delay in replying, i will be more punctual with my responces in the future!

I've tried it on the Nurburgring... it wasn't that good to be honest. It just flew, and I couldn't control it.

Or maybe I did it wrong?

Hey buddy, first off, thanks for trying and replying!

I doubt you did anything wrong! lol. When you say flew though, did you manage to break through and thats when you had the problems, or was it before that?

Nurburgring was the one i had trouble with also, the car would nearly always end up at some wierd angle, sometimes it was ok as long as i didn't touch the brakes, sometimes i couldnt steer properly and stuff. I've added a bit more info to the first post, if any of that helps. The only other thing i can think of is maybe using the economy tires on that track so the car doesnt ride up the walls so much. If none of that works, i suggest trying a track like Opera Paris or New York, i didnt seem to get that problemon those tracks because of the solid ground outside the track, plus theres alot more stuff to look at anyhow, lol.

Hope some of that was useful! Lemme know how it goes...

Mephi x

Great advice - it worked like a charm. I was able to accelerate & steer, albeit with the front slightly raised. I broke out at the fifth corner, I think.

I tried to drive back up the track, so I could see the F1 circuit, but it started to sink underground as I droveup a slight gradient... then I saw UNDER the Nurburgring. It was extremely strange, and even though it was on a TV screen it scared the crap out of me... I immediately quit and went on a quiet photo drive at Amalfi in my DB9! :P

But it is intriguing... it's just freaky :lol:

Haha, brilliant! I'm glad it worked for you, though i'm a sorry it scared you, lol!

With nurburgring, theres around 300m of elevation change (roughly 1000 feet), so you can find yourself a long way above or below the track, depending where you broke out from... From that perspective it means someting like Opera Paris is good fun because its practicly flat, aslong as driving through buildings doesn't freak you out aswell, haha.

Good call on the DB9 round Almalfi to. I like driving the Model T, especially on economy tires, feeling like a pre war racing driver a bit, lol. But I do have to detox from it pretty often, luckily i have a couple of other GT4 projects to work on at the moment!

Let me know if you try anything else with the break through trick, i've not done that much on the exploring side of things, so any interesting finds will be welcomed!

Mephi x

I may do... but to be honest that kind of thing just scares me s**tless... it's just that I get so caught up in games, and... well... in real life, if the earth was hollow, and you fell under the ground and saw all of it from the inside, you'd be freaked too! :lol:

But it's still interesting, a side of GT I've never seen before. I must say, I prefer racing though... :lol:

Haha, i hadnt thought of it like that!

Racing in the game is defo better, but i seem to have a fascination of finding as many ways to play this game without actually doing the racing now... its odd but, i like it!
Current projects include creating my own tuning company, and im making classic car race meeting, and a road racing festival, lol. With christmas seeming to have creeped up on me this year, time is an issue, lol.

Anyhoo, good luck with the racing!

Mephi x

Back