Ford Taurus (Gen 1) SHO 1989

United States
Florida
GranTurismo0517
RandomCarGuy17
I quite liked this performance variant of the Taurus. It's Ford's sport sedan for the US and it's proven to be a great one (well, except for the late 90s one, that one was kinda blehh). Especially with the help from yamaha's V6, which I still can't believe yamaha built an engine for Ford.

961027EA-6B46-4156-A9D2-4AE387CD70BA_1.jpg

sho_21_jpg_900x900_q100_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

1st_Ford_Taurus_SHO_--_10-03-2009.jpg

taurus-sho-4.jpg

SHO_Taurus_Engine.jpg
ad-SHO.jpg

taurus0005.jpg

"Have you driven a Ford lately?" :lol:

Specs:
Engine - 3.0L Yamaha DOHC V6
Drivetrain - Front Engine, FWD
Transmission - 5-Speed MT
Power - 220 hp (162 kw)
Torque - 222 ft-lbs (301 nm)
Top Speed - 143 mph

Link(s):
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/1989-10best-cars-1989-ford-taurus-taurus-sho-page-6
http://jalopnik.com/5976889/the-1989-ford-taurus-sho-is-worth-the-wait
http://www.streetspecs.com/specs/Ford/Taurus/1989/SHO

Last edited:
Quite the sleeper back in the day! Packs a punch once the secondaries open up! Pretty cool to see Yamaha DOHC heads and a 5spd MT in a Taurus. Oh, and that intake! Nothing quite like popping the hood on one for the first time! I'd love to see it make a GT6 appearance. :D

If not, the Ford GN34 sports car would be cool too. It was the car the SHO engine was originally intended for before the car was scrapped.

Ford GN34:

79128d1208494413-lotus-esprit-sho-motor-books.jpg

SHO Footage starts at ~3:57

Quite the sleeper back in the day! Packs a punch once the secondaries open up! Pretty cool to see Yamaha DOHC heads and a 5spd MT in a Taurus. Oh, and that intake! Nothing quite like popping the hood on one for the first time! I'd love to see it make a GT6 appearance. :D

If not, the Ford GN34 sports car would be cool too. It was the car the SHO engine was originally intended for before the car was scrapped.

Indeed it was, I think I've heard that it could take on the Mustang at the time, which is also impressive.

Also, that GN34 is quite an interesting concept car. If you really want to suggest it, you probably should make your own thread.

I believe at some point, Ford also made a one-off mid-engined car with the SHO engine as the power plant.

(The great thing about a digital model SHO is you don't have to worry about overheating it or grenading the transmission...)

I believe at some point, Ford also made a one-off mid-engined car with the SHO engine as the power plant.

(The great thing about a digital model SHO is you don't have to worry about overheating it or grenading the transmission...)
Yes they did, someone kinda posted that fact already.

Not seeing it in this thread.

Actually, I think I conflated the "SHOgun" mid-SHO-engined Fiesta with the Car and Driver-built (Ford-advised) SHO wagon.
Wha..?! The GN34 wasn't the mid-engined sports car that you're talking about, because it sounds a lot like it.

EDIT: Oh, you're not talking about a mid-engined supercar, but a mid-engined hatchback.
Wait what?! Ford pulled a Renault and made a Mid-engine hatchback with a Taurus SHO v6 in it?

Oh, right. I should have done more research. Yes, the GN34 was a mid-engined, SHO-powered car. Sorry. :cheers:

I was conflating a couple of different things. Ford themselves never made the mid-engined SHOgun. That was done by enthusiasts (see Wikipedia here).

Ford did put the SHO engine into a few other vehicles. They put it in some pickups, they put it in some Mercury Sables, and they helped Car and Driver put it in a Taurus wagon, but those were all front-engined. (The pickups were, I think, rear drive, but I'd guess the Sables and the wagon were front drive.)

Oh, right. I should have done more research. Yes, the GN34 was a mid-engined, SHO-powered car. Sorry. :cheers:

I was conflating a couple of different things. Ford themselves never made the mid-engined SHOgun. That was done by enthusiasts (see Wikipedia here).
It's alright, we all make mistakes (I make several everyday :lol:).

Also cool, I was looking it up as well and I'm shocked that such a thing exists. It makes me think of the Renault Clio V6 a bit.

Latest Posts

Back