FORMING, STORMING, NORMING AND PERFORMING

• Thread starter Kano Manel
  • 17 comments
United Kingdom
London
Sorry for the silence, I’m busy with the uni but I’ve been writing this in my spare time.

Precisely because the Uni is that I’m writing here again, we are studying Tuckman’s model:

forming, storming, norming and performing.

Even though this model was designed to explain the formation of a team for business purposes, I found many similarities with the personal development of an online racer, hear me out before you start laughing.

Racing online is not like racing in real life (physical conditions are completely different, psychological conditions too), racing online is more like playing golf. Most of the time you compete against yourself: your inputs, your throttle control, your lack of vision, your late reactions, your trail-breaking. And you are in a team, a team of ONE. Thereby, I’m guessing here that one actually happens to pass throughout all these stages.

Forming: first, when you start racing, you are forming this team of one with yourself. This is when you start your relationship with the game and that racer part of you. It stops being just a game and the idea of competing calls your attention, this is a very early stage. ‘In this stage, the group becomes oriented to the task, creates ground rules [I’m not playing that one I’m playing this one], and tests the boundaries for interpersonal and task behaviours.’

Storming: this is the stage when many people just drop the game and end playing something like Need for Speed. There is a struggle, an internal conflict. The player has passed the forming stage and is facing a conflict, because one only becomes victorious in online racing if taken seriously, otherwise would lead to a lot of frustration. So, the conflict is to actually take it seriously.

This phase is characterized by lack of consistency, there are random good performances mixed mostly with poor racing. There is rage quitting, a lot of contact, a lot of penalties, fluctuations in DR (most of the time in D) and, more important, abrupt changes in SR. Tuckman (1965, 386) stated that ‘members become hostile toward one another or toward a trainer [racers become hostile and refuse to face improvement or change] as a means of expressing their individuality and resisting the formation of a structure’.

This is a stage of negation of what an online racer truly is. And to illustrate this more, let me share an anecdote that happened recently in a civilized pub conversation. Someone commented that racing online and expending hours in front of a PC/PS4 is for nerds. And I told everyone the story of my mechanic: he is a guy who used to race with Robert Kubica when they were teenagers. He remortgaged his house TWICE to support his racing career (he’s still trying). He’s got two ex wifes, children from each one, too many girlfriends to fit in an A4 and zero friends. But…. He also got an astonishing knowledge about cars, transmissions, airflow, cooling, brakes, differentials, suspensions… you name it.

My point with this story was this: this guy ruined his life, his marriages, his economy, and his friendship with anyone close just for racing in real life (this is his own conclusion). He expended hundreds of thousands and never won a thing… but he is a cool guy.:boggled:

I expended £50 in an overheating PS4 and 110 in a G29 (1 month ago) and got fastest lap and second place in the last manufacturer’s championship race; I’m also #1 in my regions with Nissan…. But I am a nerd…:odd:

In what kind of crazy 🤬 up world I’m a nerd and the other guy is cool. :banghead:

Why is this related? The conflict is between being an online racer or not being it (unless you are 12 years old, in which case GTSport is a matter of crashing the yellow car with the red car, or driving like a maniac… just like daddy when driving in the BMW).

Being an online racer is a state of mind that people resist at the beginning, hence the conflict.

Blogs, forums like this and youtube channels like @Tigdney , Z28Gaming, Kie and many others, helped me to assimilate that being an online racer is not being a nerd but is actually ‘a thing’(have you seen the Nurburgring videos? or Lewis Hamilton’s talking with Kaz about his lap? Or gamers taking the podium of real racing events like Jan and many others?).
sim-racing-gran-turismo-sport-2017-hamiltongtsport-5886169.jpg

Online racing ‘is a thing’ now. Own it.

Back to the subject, this is a very complex stage and a lot of people just drop the game or stay trapped eternally at this stage (eternally D), until they accept the whole idea of online racing as a ‘serious thing’. And then, only then, you can move to the next stage.

Norming: once accepted that one is actually an online racer and wants to become competitive, the only way is to start imposing norms.

In my case, I have several rules that I have developed over the last month (not a lot of experience, I know).

1. Accept that this is an FIA approved sim-arcade racer, and you are part of it.

2. DR is like money, don’t gamble with it.

3. Never go online if cold. I never go straight to daily race (I rarely do daily race actually), I first do an endurance or professional race in campaign, to warm up and make money.

4. Buy cars, racing cars. Find that car that makes you competitive and stick to it. Make your own BOP test Tidgney style.

5. No assists except for default ABS

6. I never race when I’m tired, only if I’m fresh.

7. Don’t drink alcohol and drive, not joking.

8. Don’t drive after a heavy lunch or dinner.

9. Sleep well before a race, save energy.

10. Run around your block or go upstairs and downstairs several times to rise your heart beat (burpees also help a lot). Your rhythm depends on your metabolism, if you sit for 2 hours in front of the PS what do you think is going to happen? Gr 4 cars are very easy to drive, one can easily relax with them; when what actually these cars need is a bit of aggression because they can handle it. So, fire up!

11. Drink plenty of water and eat something light before the race.

12. Maintain a good temperature in the room.

13. Keep the room dark, you don’t need outside reflections or distractions.

14. Be careful with your feet, they are your tools. A few days ago I got a serious scratch in my right foot playing with the cat, and then I went to race and I suffered this stupid silly pain for 1 hour, I couldn’t complete a serious lap because of this. Conclusion, take care of your feet (and your hands).

These are just little examples (I have more, many more) I’m sure everyone has some tips to share (please share)

When you set norms for yourself, soon you start seeing the benefits.

Performing: I’m not in this stage yet, it would be silly to write anything here, I’m racing since June and I’m at the norming stage for three weeks only. This section is for you, racers B, A, +A and S. How did you arrive to this stage? What norms did you apply? What discipline do you impose to yourself?

PS:As usual, thanks for reading my acadGaming boring posts. Please share.

PPS: If you find yourself in any of these stages, I hope this help you to understand that you are not a nerd. Not everyone is so 'cool' to risk house, marriage, family and friends to support pointless real life racing.
YOU are an online racer, YOU are the cool guy here.

Attachments

• sim-racing-gran-turismo-sport-2017-hamiltongtsport-5886169.jpg
    sim-racing-gran-turismo-sport-2017-hamiltongtsport-5886169.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing stupid about it, IF thats where your heart/passion lies. Don't be so offhand to dismiss other people's choices.
the idea is not to offend anyone, so I edited that.

Although... remortgaging your house twice, losing your family, etc etc etc to support racing in real life is not exactly the wiser thing to do, but that is another debate.

Kano Manel:
Not everyone is so stupid to risk house, marriage, family and friends to support pointless real life racing.

There is nothing stupid about it, IF thats where your heart/passion lies. Don't be so offhand to dismiss other people's choices.

I could not possibly agree more with you. I spent 20 years racing almost every weekend in late spring, summer, and early fall. It may have cost me my first marriage but it was also the springboard for my second and much better second marriage. My kids also raced themselves, first when children when I took them kart racing when I slowed down my own racing then my eldest son still races on his own with some success. Racing is expensive and a lot of work but I made a lot of lasting friendships, some money, and many, many good memories that I wouldn't trade for anything. My non racing friends haven't been exposed to half the memories or commaraderie that I had been while racing but they did become familiar with which bars were the most popular and the best hangover cures. I know which of the 2 I would rather experience again.

Although... remortgaging your house twice, losing your family, etc etc etc to support racing in real life is not exactly the wiser thing to do, but that is another debate.

Haha, i tend to agree on it perhaps not being the wisest, but thats because i dont have half the passion for it that some people do. I've known lots of budding (and talented) racing drivers fall by the wayside for lack of funds, and i can totally see myself remortgaging myself up the wazzoo in order to keep my ride for another season if i had (or thought i had) any talent for it.

And dont worry, i know you had no intent to offend, was just offering a little balance to the discussion. :P

As usual, amazing post from you! :D Keep these studies coming, I love to read them.

Although I'm an A+ driver, I believe I haven't reached past the "Norming" stage yet. I think I have not yet "performed", but I'm slowly getting there. I'm about to take my college entrance exams this September, but honestly, I don't want to. I want to play. I want to be an e-sports champion.

Of course, my family and friends are against this. But I don't want to live a normal life. I want to race; that's all I ever thought about ever since I was a kid. All of my efforts. From learning my way to A+, getting that coveted DR rank across all regions in the shortest time possible, getting DR S, and all my Top 10 times are for one and one purpose: to persuade everyone, my family and friends included, that I can produce results.

Until I have convinced everyone around me that I can, with my skills, live the life the way I want it to, I refuse to believe that I have performed to produce results yet.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Tuckman's Model.

I work for an eLearning company and this is typical content that we push out for continued education and professional development.

My issue with the Tuckman Model is that supervisors usually view themselves as the "norming phase" and use the Tuckman Model as a rationalization to meddle and micromanage. On my team of producers we formed, stormed, and then proceeded to get our projects destroyed by our VP under the guise of "norming". It was a total **** show having upper management meddle in production processes they don't understand. Thousands of dollars wasted, unused produced assets, and a development bottleneck at the VP label. Norming my @$$.

So I guess my issue with Tuckman's Model is more in how it's executed than with the model itself.

You wont impress people who are not into sim racing with A+ rankings and Top 10 times. Having skills in front of a 65" TV on PS4 is nice but you will always be a "wanna be race car driver" for them. See it as a hobby. Its nothing more but also nothing less.

This section is for you, racers B, A, +A and S. How did you arrive to this stage? What norms did you apply? What discipline do you impose to yourself?

Without question it has to be fitness. The most important equipment in driver progression is one's own body, not the pedals/wheel/etc. It took me 6 months to progress from not being able to finish a 1k run in under 10 minutes to currently, 5k in under 22 minutes.

Tune your body, if seeking high performance.

I had a 20-day run with 21 wins and felt really connected and immersed in the game. I think that was my norming stage. I got to DR A and started to take myself too seriously.

A quote from mindtools.com "as new tasks come up, the team may lapse back into behavior from the storming stage" Protecting my DR and SR started to become my focus and the races were, for the most part, not a lot of fun. I was getting angry with other people almost every race. I retreated to the comfort of a second profile where I don't have to be too serious and don't worry a whole lot about my ratings. It's a lot more fun now.

Dr low A+/S, S/S.

My ideal rules and how I learned to drive:

No alcohol, for my own performance and to not ruin anyones race.

Doing some Time trial to learn the fastest way around the combo. Try different racelines, think how to be faster. Earlier on throttle? Later? Brake less? More? Shortshift? Overrev?

Muscle memory. Repeat repeat repeat. Teach yourself to do the same thing over and over again as identical as you can. Learn to spot the difference as early as possible and compensate.

Do a mock race with the exact same settings. This is to have an idea of what to expect when the tyres wear down and the car gets lighter due to fuel load. This is also the part where I try to find the problematic areas of the track. Parts where a rumble strip can launch you the other way around or something like that. I will modify my race line acordingly.

Adapt. This is during the race, changing a tiny bit my brake points to acomodate tyre wear and keeping it consistent. Keep adjusting lap after lap for optimum speed. Also this is not the time to experiment different race lines.

Focus, my mind has to be in racing itself. Not work, birthdays, personal life issues. Deal with that after the chequered flag.

No ragequiting, ever. Salvage what you can even if that is last place.

No emotions, keep calm no matter what. If I am happy I enter the corners with too much speed and go wide. if I am angry I get careless with throttle and spin. If am nervous I make mistakes. I am fastest when emotionless. Of course this is imposible, I am angry a second and let it go. It is already in the past, can't change what already happened focus on the next turn. After the race get angry and try to learn from it.

There is a lot here to answer, very juicy replies.

Let's start by @Alpha Cipher : you don't have to impress anybody, but Nissan. The rest of us are impressed already. Someone that can achieve what you have done, in such a short time.... that's amazing. YOU ARE AN ALIEN. I just hope that you selected Nissan in manufacturers and can fight for a place in the GT Academy, because you are a natural. It's like someone who paints since very early age and is able to make portraits and landscapes etc... you cannot pretend that someone with that talents becomes policeman or accountant. right? The same with you. You should contact Nissan and the GT Academy for guidence, that is what I would do if I had your skills AND YOUR AGE! I mean you are just a kid, LOL, if you have proper training the sky is the limit.

BUT

don't jump into conclusions, win the championship, find a good team (TRL?) and progress from there. I'm 37 years old, and there are many things I could have done but I didn't, because of fear (or moneuy. I'm doing them now. Don't be like that, and don't listen to people like @RA1784 , for him this is a hobby, but you are in a different level.

Thousands of dollars wasted, unused produced assets, and a development bottleneck at the VP label. Norming my @$$.
I feel your pain, I'm studying management and all I see in my work place is just the opposite to what it should be, people in my company should write The Book of how not to Manage. I don't know in your case how you cope with that, in my case I have learnt to ignore the **** and move on, but of course is not the same. I can't wait to finish uni and start my own company. I have a business idea that is going to make you all get wet, just wait 4 years for it.

You wont impress people who are not into sim racing with A+ rankings and Top 10 times. See it as a hobby.
He's not in our level, he's more in a TRL level, probably. All he needs is to win a championship and the rest will come.

Protecting my DR and SR started to become my focus and the races were, for the most part, not a lot of fun. I was getting angry with other people almost every race. I retreated to the comfort of a second profile where I don't have to be too serious and don't worry a whole lot about my ratings. It's a lot more fun now.

Do you have to pay again for a second profile? :D

It took me 6 months to progress from not being able to finish a 1k run in under 10 minutes to currently, 5k in under 22 minutes.
Congrats, mate. In my case, I have to expend 12 hours sitting in an office and my knees are deteriorating, I have to go to the swiming pool to keep them just ok, and yet sometimes I have cramps while racing... it's ridiculous.
But, yeah, I agree, the base of any sport is fitness and eSports have this component too. If Panorama has 23 corners, that means 23 breaking zones and accelerating zones. How many times do you have to use your feet and your hands to change gear? It doesn't seem important but physicality is a factor. SHoulders and neck suffer a lot if the driving position is not correct.

FFB settings can play an important role here, high sensitivity but low torque might be a good way to go for long races. What do you think?

Let's start by @Alpha Cipher : you don't have to impress anybody, but Nissan. The rest of us are impressed already. Someone that can achieve what you have done, in such a short time.... that's amazing. YOU ARE AN ALIEN. I just hope that you selected Nissan in manufacturers and can fight for a place in the GT Academy, because you are a natural. It's like someone who paints since very early age and is able to make portraits and landscapes etc... you cannot pretend that someone with that talents becomes policeman or accountant. right? The same with you. You should contact Nissan and the GT Academy for guidence, that is what I would do if I had your skills AND YOUR AGE! I mean you are just a kid, LOL, if you have proper training the sky is the limit.

BUT

don't jump into conclusions, win the championship, find a good team (TRL?) and progress from there. I'm 37 years old, and there are many things I could have done but I didn't, because of fear (or moneuy. I'm doing them now. Don't be like that, and don't listen to people like @RA1784 , for him this is a hobby, but you are in a different level.
Thanks for the encouraging words :D
The conclusions you said are spot-on. They are all indeed in my bucket list, and I fully plan on achieving them :)

I haven't chosen Nissan though but Lexus, because I feel like I'm not yet at the level where I can win the prizes they give. One day though, one day :)
FFB settings can play an important role here, high sensitivity but low torque might be a good way to go for long races. What do you think?
I guess it's a matter of fitness. I havemy torque at max because I like it that way, butI can certainly see it being a hinderance to my endurancr on 4 hour races

Last edited:
I haven't chosen Nissan though but Lexus, because I feel like I'm not yet at the level where I can win the prizes they give.
Well, it is also important that you start being there, so they can see that there is a development and that you are growing. Also, you are 17, I don't think you even have the legal age to win something. But is important to be seen. What you need is to focus in 1 account and make a plan, with goals, write where you want to be, what you want to do, and the steps to achieve it. If you are fast, you have to be faster. If you are smart you have to be smarter. If you are fit... well, you get the idea.

You have a natural talent for this that 99% don't have, but remember that if you are this fast now, it means that if you train you can be even better. I would try to improve fitness if I were you, because at the age of 17 you still have a lot of room for physical improvement, which can make you definitely faster.
Also, the brain is not considered fully develop until the early 20's, which means that your brain capacity, reflexes, decision making and resilience will improve with the time. If you keep going you will be definitely faster in about 3-4 years, and I mean TRL/Oscaro level of faster.

But since you depend of your family due to your age, you will have to keep them happy at the same time. There is nothing wrong in going to University and studying something that will help you to maintain your quality of life (graduates can easily earn higher salaries than non-graduates)

Connecting with the first post, I don't think you are in the performing stage yet, not even in norming, you are probably in the storming one, and because your peculiarities you are able to perform very well. But you are not achieving 100% of your potential, you are just 17 :crazy: You are probably in your 70% perhaps?

Keep training, win a championship, and call the big teams and let them know you are looking for a team.:cheers:

Well, it is also important that you start being there, so they can see that there is a development and that you are growing. Also, you are 17, I don't think you even have the legal age to win something. But is important to be seen. What you need is to focus in 1 account and make a plan, with goals, write where you want to be, what you want to do, and the steps to achieve it. If you are fast, you have to be faster. If you are smart you have to be smarter. If you are fit... well, you get the idea.

You have a natural talent for this that 99% don't have, but remember that if you are this fast now, it means that if you train you can be even better. I would try to improve fitness if I were you, because at the age of 17 you still have a lot of room for physical improvement, which can make you definitely faster.
Also, the brain is not considered fully develop until the early 20's, which means that your brain capacity, reflexes, decision making and resilience will improve with the time. If you keep going you will be definitely faster in about 3-4 years, and I mean TRL/Oscaro level of faster.

But since you depend of your family due to your age, you will have to keep them happy at the same time. There is nothing wrong in going to University and studying something that will help you to maintain your quality of life (graduates can easily earn higher salaries than non-graduates)

Connecting with the first post, I don't think you are in the performing stage yet, not even in norming, you are probably in the storming one, and because your peculiarities you are able to perform very well. But you are not achieving 100% of your potential, you are just 17 :crazy: You are probably in your 70% perhaps?

Keep training, win a championship, and call the big teams and let them know you are looking for a team.:cheers:
Thanks for the advice! :) I'll make sure to try your advice, especially writing down my goals. I think I can still pinpoint where I'm losing time in most of my cases, so I know at least that I haven't reached my skill cap yet. Hmm... for smartness... We'll leave that one aside for now :lol: I think I have a normal fitness. I did badminton, softball, and volleyball back then, but I don't play as much now. Maybe I should get back to it :)

Hmm, personally I'm not a believer of talent, but rather skill. If I were to call anything a talent, it would be how fast people can learn about something. Sometimes it takes months, sometimes decades, but if you're dedicated enough you can be eventually as good as the person you look up to. I guess luck is certainly a factor, since I'm able to still absorb a lot of stuff into my brain because I'm not yet a full adult. I've started out as a DR B driver, and my DR graph isn't an exponential increase, but rather a gradual linear increase as I learn more about competitive racecraft :) I think if I had talent other than my current mental malleability, I would've been able to produce results right off the bat. Being able to be at the same pace as TRL/Oscaro certainly sounds enticing, so you'd bet I'll do everything to be faster :D

You have a point with my doubt in college though. Eh, maybe I'll study there :) as long as I have time to race I'm good

I'm actually quite glad that I'm still at the "Storming" stage :D I'm still ways off from my optimum, so being able to look only forward is motivational. Thanks for the advice once again :)

the way you write is so mature that I can believe you are 17. All the potential you see now is a fraction of what you can achieve.

Any tips you want to share, how do you prepare a race?

:)

I don't really have unique tips to give; I just follow the standard procedure:
  • Spend as much time as you can in qualifying
  • If you don't know the track practice until you can essentially be on "auto-pilot" mode in that track, since you'll want to battle other cars, not your own
  • Practice alternative lines that you might need to use while battling another car (eg. compromise your entry by starting from the inside, slower entry so you can have an even faster exit for cutbacks, etc.)
  • Hmm, when battling another opponent, try to confuse them as much as you can. A common move that I do of the is look up the inside (especially when I have no overlap), and then brake earlier as well as diagonally to the outside. I was able to nip a few places here and there by making the guy think I'll dive up the inside, so they'll either compromise their line or run out of the track completely, only for me return back to my normal racing line

Back