Formula 1 Pirelli Großer Preis Der Steiermark 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 307 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sergio Perez is a massive pay driver you have to remember as well. He is safer in that seat than Stroll is, but I hear nobody calling him a no-good pay driver.

At least Stroll does sometimes have flashes of speed, not like some of the awful backmarker drivers we've seen previously.

Did Schumacher have MB backing prior to that? I'm too young to know early 90s F1. (Born in 89)

Yes, he did sportscars with them in the then WSC(WEC nowadays) in 1990-1991. Also did a bit of DTM.

Wili Weber had negotiated his charge's F1 debut after Jordan regular Bertrand Gachot was jailed for attacking a London taxi driver.

Jordan reportedly wanted to draft in the experienced Stefan Johansson, but Schumacher's Sauber-Mercedes sports car team - headed by Peter Sauber - offered $150,000 in sponsorship.

"That was a pretty penny for a single grand prix," Sauber told the SID news agency this week.

When oh when will we ditch the "stroll pay driver" meme?
7108e2c959a7d5bffda2df24777e1f96.jpg

The man won his F3 title by nearly 200 points. Just this past Sunday he went wheel to wheel with his teammate and, had it not been for Sergio putting in an incredible drive, it looked as if he would have run as the #1 car.

Seriously, guys, you're not gonna wish him out of his seat, and he's not magically protected by virtue of his surname.

Stroll is by several orders of magnitude not the worst pay driver F1 had seen.

Drivers use money to get into F1. It has a l w a y s been that way. Mercedes paid for Schumacher. Telefonica paid for Alonso. Honda paid for Nakajima and Nakano. Fag companies paid for innumerable drivers (Prost, Alesi, Alboreto, Barbazza, Capelli, Coulthard, Berger, Panis, Katayama) at various points in their careers; you could fill an art gallery with the special "Marlboro World Championship Team" posters they printed each year for all the drivers Phillip Morris have personally sponsored over the years. Even if he wasn't a pay driver in the classic sense, McLaren bankrolled Hamilton from day one.

I think it's simply the amount of money behind him that winds people up and makes him a heat sink. Off the top of my head, Larry Stroll is worth about C$200 million? If he was 'only' bankrolling his son with a fortune of, let's say, C$5 million behind him, I don't think there would be anywhere near the amount of critiquing Lance Stroll.

Let Stroll's racing do the talking. He's way better than some of the drivers who have been in F1 over the last few years; Palmer, and Haryanto spring to mind and the anonymous also-rans escape me.

Is he amazing? No.
Is he terrible? Also no.

Edit: As it stands, Lance Stroll is going down in history as the last driver to score a podium for the famous, prestigious, history-shod Williams team.

Last edited:
Sergio Perez is a massive pay driver you have to remember as well. He is safer in that seat than Stroll is, but I hear nobody calling him a no-good pay driver.
Largely due to Perez being charismatic and sometimes quoteworthy, I feel. Stroll comes across as kind of a wet blanket, and you can't make funny Internet memes out of that.

Also, if we're going to have the discussion about pay drivers in Formula 1 again, here's the customary reminder that originally Niki Lauda paid for his seat. Twice, in fact.

Big difference from sponsership and getting out your own loan to daddy paying right from the pocket.

Racing is an expensive sport no doubt and you will find most drivers who reach the top come from wealthy backgrounds, but direct funding to the very top coming from family is a bit rarer.

Generally the other pay drivers had to Woo someone along the way.

When oh when will we ditch the "stroll pay driver" meme?
7108e2c959a7d5bffda2df24777e1f96.jpg

The man won his F3 title by nearly 200 points. Just this past Sunday he went wheel to wheel with his teammate and, had it not been for Sergio putting in an incredible drive, it looked as if he would have run as the #1 car.

Seriously, guys, you're not gonna wish him out of his seat, and he's not magically protected by virtue of his surname.

I massively agree. I've always been an advocate for Stroll and I think the criticism he gets is based solely on his dads position which is a shame because he is a good driver. Thay overtake for example, whether it was good, clean, fair or not is irrelevant when I know that if tt were the other way around, everyone would be praising Ricciardo, or at the very least not giving him the stick Stroll gets.

With his F3 series as well, like you said he won it by a huge margin, smashing George Russell on the way and 5 back to back wins at the end of the season.

A reminder that Max Verstappen hasn't won a championship in cars and Lance has. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back