Formula Car Overtake. Usage and recharge.

United States
United States
I want to get more out of the 2019 Super Formula car for the Suzuka circuit in Menu 42. Do you use Overtake to mainly rapidly accelerate from a slow speed and gear or is it for increasing your max speed mainly when you are already near the ordinary max speed? Also when you pit, is the Overtake tank refilled as well when you refuel?

As far as I understand, it’s a push to pass button, so mainly used once up to speed, to get past a car you’ve gotten a run on out of a corner. In the tuning menu, with nitrous anyways, you can adjust how big the shot is, and how long it lasts, not sure if you can also do that with the Overtake button, but worth looking into.

As for refilling, you can’t. What you start a race with is what you get for the entire race, so best to use it as sparingly as you can. It’s not like hybrid in the LMP cars, where is can regenerate under braking.

Last edited:
I want to get more out of the 2019 Super Formula car for the Suzuka circuit in Menu 42. Do you use Overtake to mainly rapidly accelerate from a slow speed and gear or is it for increasing your max speed mainly when you are already near the ordinary max speed? Also when you pit, is the Overtake tank refilled as well when you refuel?
Use it to increase your acceleration at the start of long straights.

Sometimes I use it to increase acceleration, other times I use it to help overtake an opponent on a long straight.
The game doesn’t restrict its use like in real life, at least not that I’ve found.
Don’t expect it to act like nitrous does though, the impact it has is minimal. You cannot adjust its setting like you can with nitrous either, it’s locked, I believe at 10, on the tuning screen.
It does not refill like fuel does when you pit.

The most efficient use is out of a tight corner before a long straight. It’s also most efficient to let off of it once you’re halfway or so down the straight — the further down the straight you are, the less benefit you get out of the boost, since you’ll just be braking soon anyway.

If you've ever seen or watched Indycar and heard of "Push-to-Pass", it works kind of like that. Its mostly used to catch and pass the car in front. Unfortunately, its very limited and cannot be refilled in a race so you have to be very strategic in when and how much of it you use.

Last edited:
Some hybrid VGT cars had overtake button I think.
You may be thinking of a DRS (Drag Reduction System) function, which uses the same button as overtake/nitrous in GT7. That is merely adjusting the aerodynamic features of the car to reduce drag and enable greater acceleration/speed, and thus cannot run out.

You may be thinking of a DRS (Drag Reduction System) function, which uses the same button as overtake/nitrous in GT7. That is merely adjusting the aerodynamic features of the car to reduce drag and enable greater acceleration/speed, and thus cannot run out.
Yes; however, I am talk about Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus and Toyota can use electric motor for regular drive; sometime I press overtake button for give boost acceleration, but it will running battery out fast. That's what I use to test on them since GT6 when some VGT cars had battery meter under fuel gauge HUD. They are only hybrid cars can use it before SRT Tomahawk VGT series out around late 2015.

Last edited:
Back