Formula GT Championship questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seismica
  • 14 comments
  • 1,022 views

Seismica

Premium
Messages
4,346
United Kingdom
Guisborough
Messages
GTP_Seismica
Question 1: Were they always 20 laps each? I read somewhere of total race times in the 50 minute region, where mine were around half an hour each.

Question 2: Is there no tire wear? I read about people doing pitstops. Did they change this championship in a recent update?

Question 3: Why is the boost/rubberbanding set so high? It was so frustrating how my skill didn't matter as long as my last 2-3 laps were clean. I couldn't open up the gap by more than 4-5 seconds unless the the AI made mistakes like at the Nurburgring.

I was racing the Nurbrgring GP circuit and the AI were spinning out a lot, so after 10 laps they were 18 seconds behind. Then suddenly I saw a split time interval of 9 seconds, WTF? I was running in the high 1'31s so i'm curious as to what was going on. It seems the rubberbanding was so strong that they were gaining around 2 seconds per sector and one car had apparently got a couple of clean laps without spinning at the chicane which must have been in the 1'25/26s. I mean c'mon, those times are near impossible in a FGT, especially for the AI.

At Monza it was a processional race. It was very easy to be consistent around here so I decided to speed things up and cut the chicane (I lost outright at Monaco so I needed the points). They were still matching my times when I was cutting the chicanes, whilst I was running in the low 1'20s. It doesn't make any sense.

Then at Suzuka I screwed up, and by lap 4 I was 22 seconds down. But then with clean laps in the 1'32s I was in 1st place by lap 11. I was running clean consistent laps the rest of the race and they finished only a second down. How did I run more than 3 seconds a lap faster and then go to the AI matching my times?

There is overwhelming evidence of rubberbanding if you run this championship. Sort it out PD, this is a gamebreaker. I hope the 24hr endurance races aren't like this. They were the least enjoyable races i've had in a long time.
 
`Maybe you are mixing A and B Spec information. A Spec races are shorter and don't feature tire wear, while B Spec races do have tire wear and need pitstops, also they have like twice as many laps compared to A Spec races.

And yeah, there is serious rubberbanding on this championship, if you are trailing AI will lose 5-8 or so seconds per lap, depending on how far behind of the leading car you are, and if it's you the one leading, it will be more difficult to build a gap between you and the second place.
 
Other than a handful of endurance races, this FGT Championship is the last A-Spec event that I need to complete. It's a pain to go 20 laps and make one or two little mistakes near the end and lose or have to drive perfectly to catch up.

I have golded 3 of them individually, but a couple are still a pain. I like to gold them all individually before I do the championship, so I can either skip races or win on points alone and not worry about golds during the championship.

I do feel your pain on this event as I have been having difficulty with it as well. I'm searching for a better tune that suits my driving style at the moment and also considering putting on a couple of the driving aids just to get it done. :lol:
 
Last edited:
`Maybe you are mixing A and B Spec information. A Spec races are shorter and don't feature tire wear, while B Spec races do have tire wear and need pitstops, also they have like twice as many laps compared to A Spec races.

And yeah, there is serious rubberbanding on this championship, if you are trailing AI will lose 5-8 or so seconds per lap, depending on how far behind of the leading car you are, and if it's you the one leading, it will be more difficult to build a gap between you and the second place.

Well that answes Questions 1 and 2 :) I'm sure I was confusing it with B-spec. What is still confusing is why they didn't give us an option to turn boost off in Single Player. We can in splitscreen, we can online, why have it in A-spec?

The championship is made a lot less fun because it tries to force wheel to wheel racing on you. I found out at Monaco that racing wheel to wheel with the AI is hellish, they don't give you room and ram you on the exits causing you to spin. The AI get stupidly good traction out of slow corners, which I noticed most prominantly at the final chicane in Suzuka. In contrast, they're so bad in the fast corners that they just get in the way, until you're in first of course, and then they're right there in your mirror the whole race.

The only race where I was comfortably the fastest car was Indianapolis, but I kept making little mistakes which allowed the AI to catch up, so I only finished 4.5 seconds ahead. I did finish far ahead at the Nurburgring but only because they are very optimistic over the bumpy final chicane.

I did win the championship however, but only because the AI let me catch up at Suzuka. I was only 50 points ahead in the championship due to my retirement at Monaco and the AI should've won by a mile after my opening laps. The rubberbanding made me win, but almost made me lose the other races at the same time.
 
I'm one of the players that likes the rubber banding . . . to a point. I do like competition and I like the opportunity to win. It just needs to be written more prominently in the marketing literature. Most driving simulations are great learning environments. It's not until you start racing online and take the time to find (and understand) a solid server connection and a group of other players that all have good connections that the games become most enjoyable.

If you're not one of those expert computer drivers you'll soon either lose interest in online racing or go back to offline driving and start taking notice of your lap times until you see improvment.

It's that rubber banding that keeps more people interested in the game and enjoying it no matter their skill level. When you become good enough to notice you start looking to online challenges.

:)
 
I'm one of the players that likes the rubber banding . . . to a point. I do like competition and I like the opportunity to win. It just needs to be written more prominently in the marketing literature. Most driving simulations are great learning environments. It's not until you start racing online and take the time to find (and understand) a solid server connection and a group of other players that all have good connections that the games become most enjoyable.

If you're not one of those expert computer drivers you'll soon either lose interest in online racing or go back to offline driving and start taking notice of your lap times until you see improvment.

It's that rubber banding that keeps more people interested in the game and enjoying it no matter their skill level. When you become good enough to notice you start looking to online challenges.

:)

All very much fine... as long as you can turn it off when you want to.
 
It's the hardest A Spec in the game for a reason. By far the most white-knuckling race other than the 2 minutes each of the vettels. The AI are horrible at Monaco, they do hit you seemingly on purpose. Luckily it's a 1 make race so one car doesn't finish 2nd in every race so your 400 championship points are enough.

If I were to start over, this would be my least favorite event to repeat.
 
I am one of the very few for whom this event was my favourite. All the other A spec challenges are easy compared to this. Even though I won first time it remained a challenge. I like the rubber banding here, it keeps it tight until the end.
 
Rubberbanding really isn't cool if the AI is running lap times 2-3 seconds faster than the quickest qualification time at Nurburgring in F1 last weekend.
 
Rubberbanding really isn't cool if the AI is running lap times 2-3 seconds faster than the quickest qualification time at Nurburgring in F1 last weekend.

F1 nowadays are slow compared to last decade cars.

FGT has 900+ hp and it's somewhat based on 2002-2004 F1s. Now they have 700ish hp with crappier tires and restricted aerodinamycs, if it wasn't for the DRS and KERS the difference would be greater.
 
All very much fine... as long as you can turn it off when you want to.

That's what the online Lobby is for. You will always be able to find more competition.

What if you had friends over and they tried to compete in the game? What about having children that play as well? The rubberbanding is an added feature. I agree that it would be a nice addition in GT6 (maybe) that we can have our AI improve with us to give us a constant challenge. It would be nicer if we could turn it on and off or from one AI formula to another. We have what we have :)

Have you played Grand Prix Legends?

IIRC the AI there would keep improving with you from start to finish, if you can call it that. Once they are trained and up to your best speed they don't slow back down because you're having an off day.
 
Ah, I forgot about that dark_ruffo. I just read an article about Schumaker getting a low 1:13 in qualifying back in 2004. I'll have to actually do a time trial in the FGT to see what I can pull.
 
That's what the online Lobby is for. You will always be able to find more competition.

What if you had friends over and they tried to compete in the game? What about having children that play as well? The rubberbanding is an added feature. I agree that it would be a nice addition in GT6 (maybe) that we can have our AI improve with us to give us a constant challenge. It would be nicer if we could turn it on and off or from one AI formula to another. We have what we have :)

Have you played Grand Prix Legends?

IIRC the AI there would keep improving with you from start to finish, if you can call it that. Once they are trained and up to your best speed they don't slow back down because you're having an off day.

I don't understand, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? You start off seeming to disagree, then give a few examples which in no way contradict my statement of "it has uses and is fine being there, as long as you can turn it off if you wish" and then you say it would be nicer if we had another solution but could turn it on or off or set it different ways.

Fact is, many of the things which frustrate a lot of people about GT5 could be easily mitigated by simply adding options, in some cases options that are already there but are only available in certain modes. Of course there are always problems that can arise when changing anything in a program, and sometimes things that seem not to make sense are there for a very good reason, such as preventing other issues.

Unfortunately I missed out on GPL, and many other PC sims. I have heard about that, seems like a nice feature.
 
Last edited:
Ah, I forgot about that dark_ruffo. I just read an article about Schumaker getting a low 1:13 in qualifying back in 2004. I'll have to actually do a time trial in the FGT to see what I can pull.

Schumacher.
 
I don't think there's a need to turn it off.
That's what online racing is all about. More competition when you tire of the AI and other challenges.

I do agree that if you could use different AI formulas it might be nice.

We can turn laps in game faster than the real drivers can with real cars. If we can do it, the AI should certainly be able to do it. If I'm having an off day, my times will show it. I don't need the AI beating the tar out of me to tell me I'm not driving my best.

:)
 
Back