Formula GT help

Hi everyone,

The Formula GT race is the one with all F1s racing against each other. The last times I did this race, I got a number of 1st place trophies, but a much greater number of 5th, and 6th place ones (leading to the loss of the Championship).

It looks like the F1 is the only car for this race... But, I remember reading somewhere that the key is the gear ratios. Can anyone recommend the best gear ratios?

Nick

The best gear ratio varies from track to track.

You get a practice/qualifying session at the beginning of each race. Use this to determine the ratio yourself. Basically you want to set the autoset so the car is just short of hitting the rev limiter at the end of the longest straight on the track.

Actually setting gear ratios is more of a science than that, but what I suggested will get the job done.

Incidentally people have won this race with a number of cars other than the Formula GT. The Audi R8 is one of the more popular choices for this.

Good luck with the series!

Besides the tranny, driving style is important too for the tire wear. even with RH in the R8 i have a little chance to win the Championship (finished 3rd). I know that i have a aggresive driving style (in videogames only xD), and it makes me to wear tires more than normal and is a really big problem for endurance races.

The Mazda is also a good choice for 200 points, plus it's good fuel consumption as well as tyre wear.

Having said that, be gentle on the F1 car, and make the tyres last 1-2 laps more than the AIs. Pretty simple.

I suggest getting used to the Formula Gran Turismo (if you have it).

I know i'm not imensly quick, but if you can setup the suspension so you have confidence in the car (Your comfort zone), you can be about 4 seconds a lap or (of a longer lap) quicker on a normal lap, and put in a flyer about 8-10 seconds quicker, you can outweigh the pit stop advantage for the AI, and wind up lapping the competiton

this was my strategy, and it worked in 2 Championship attempts. But, each to their own.

I don't think altering the gear ratios will help you that much.
There's little point shortening them as you'll only increase wheelspin in lower gears.
There's little point lengthening them as the car hits an aero brick wall anyway before hitting the rev limiter - except when drafting.

If you follow the appropriate link in my .sig you'll find a basic setup for the Formula GT for maximum A-spec points. If you're not looking for points, only to win the races then ignore the ballast weight as it only slows you down. Otherwise, adjust the brake balance and downforce to suit your driving. Set the ride height and spring rate high and soft for bumpy tracks, low and stiff for smoother ones. That and the short notes given for each track should hopefully make things easier for you.

The best gear ratio varies from track to track.

You get a practice/qualifying session at the beginning of each race. Use this to determine the ratio yourself. Basically you want to set the autoset so the car is just short of hitting the rev limiter at the end of the longest straight on the track.

Indeed, but this will not work too well with faster tracks, because it will limit the amount of draft you can do (You'll hit the limit, and therefore, your max. speed)

Try elevating the suspension a bit, and softening the rebound. Should help in the bumpy tracks. If you're consistent in your laptimes, you'll be 2-3 secs. faster than the AI.

Good fun!

There's only one model, but plenty of colours :)

So long as you look after your tires, and soften and raise the suspension a bit (you won't loose a great deal of speed; the lack of weight and the insane downforce keeps you glued to the road :P ) it shouldn't be a major issue.

I used the FGT. Using B-spec, I put it on Push and hit Overtake for the first lap or so, then after passing everyone, I put it back on 3 (still on overtake.) Fast forward it, check in every 5 minutes or so to make sure pit stops are quick, and if you are losing near the end (+/- 5 laps) and your tires are not yet yellow, don't pit, pass the opponents while they are pitting. It worked for me. Good luck dude :)

No no no no no. You MUST A-Spec this event. It was one of the only championships where I A-Speced the whole thing. I used the FGT (F1) and without A-Speccing, the race becomes a real worry.

Here's my evidence on why you must A-Spec this event;
When I gave this my first attempt (Toyota Minolta at full tuning) in B-Spec, the FGT's were a lot faster, due to weight and downforce and tyre ware.

I gave it a second attempt in the FGT. (B-Spec again) During the first race, which I beleive is the Tokyo race, my lead was reasonable. It was close to 20 seconds and I was sure I was going to win, but because of the different settings you can place B-Spec on, I had to pit one extra time before finishing the race, which lead to me losing by 3 seconds.

My third and final attempt I decided to go all out and give up my whole weekend just to A-Spec the event, and what a difference it made. I was going 5-6 laps longer then the AI were in most of the races (except the 'burg) and even 10-15 laps longer then the AI around Super Speedway. Having this extra 5-6 lap advantage is great, because you can then use simple maths to calculate pit stops for yourself and for the AI. As well as having your own technique, you can get a further lead then a lap (If you lap the AI) which means that with every pit stop you are increasing your lead bit by bit. Sure the races take an hour or so to complete but man is it worth it. You get to learn tracks that you may or may not like, you get an amazing car (Sauber) and you get the fulfillment of going 'I raced that, and won. Im awesome'

B-Spec from my findings is a waste of time, and unless you are certain you can win the race because your car is over-powered, you find yourself checking on it every 5 minutes which means that the whole point of the game racing for you goes down the drain.

No no no no no. You MUST A-Spec this event. It was one of the only championships where I A-Speced the whole thing. I used the FGT (F1) and without A-Speccing, the race becomes a real worry.

Here's my evidence on why you must A-Spec this event;
When I gave this my first attempt (Toyota Minolta at full tuning) in B-Spec, the FGT's were a lot faster, due to weight and downforce and tyre ware.

I gave it a second attempt in the FGT. (B-Spec again) During the first race, which I beleive is the Tokyo race, my lead was reasonable. It was close to 20 seconds and I was sure I was going to win, but because of the different settings you can place B-Spec on, I had to pit one extra time before finishing the race, which lead to me losing by 3 seconds.

My third and final attempt I decided to go all out and give up my whole weekend just to A-Spec the event, and what a difference it made. I was going 5-6 laps longer then the AI were in most of the races (except the 'burg) and even 10-15 laps longer then the AI around Super Speedway. Having this extra 5-6 lap advantage is great, because you can then use simple maths to calculate pit stops for yourself and for the AI. As well as having your own technique, you can get a further lead then a lap (If you lap the AI) which means that with every pit stop you are increasing your lead bit by bit. Sure the races take an hour or so to complete but man is it worth it. You get to learn tracks that you may or may not like, you get an amazing car (Sauber) and you get the fulfillment of going 'I raced that, and won. Im awesome'

B-Spec from my findings is a waste of time, and unless you are certain you can win the race because your car is over-powered, you find yourself checking on it every 5 minutes which means that the whole point of the game racing for you goes down the drain.

I completely agree. If this was GT5 and you HAD to B-Spec it, that'd be different. Go A-Spec all the way, take care of your tires and start on the pole each race. Just be prepared for nerve damage in your thumbs/hands/feet depending on your input device. :)

CDub

Just finished race 8 at Seoul. Won by 7 laps. Oh my lawd can the AI be that awful? I mean I know I'm not that great against these other awesome cars.

CDub?

Back