Formula GT in an R390 race car

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 19 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
This is one of the last major things I've been hoping to accomplish in my compendium game. After this, I'm not sure what to do.

Anyways, here it is:

Formula GT in an R390 Race car

In this one, I didn’t bother with testing or attempting the races. Simply load up the R390 with everything in the Tune Shop, and have at it. T2’s and the Biggest Turbo I can bolt on.

Midfield Raceway
No qualifying, just pedal to the metal and a 5 point harness to hold your butt in the seat. Start from the bottom of the grid.

This was not a pretty race, by any means. It’s highly likely, had this been real world racing, I would have had multiple black flags, but then again, so would the AI. Please note, that none of my rough housing was intentional. The race was a tad bit tough, as I just finished the PD cup in a Tommy Kaira ZZS. From one of the slowest to one of the fastest. A bit of a trial by fire.

The Racing: I was able to out accelerate the AI (well, except the F094) and had a higher top end. If I knew my braking points, and was more familiar with the car I would have easily slipped closer to the lead at an earlier but with all the factors against me I was quite sloppy around the track for the first 8 or so laps. One thing in particular really hit me hard. In recent OLR I’ve been racing, the Rumble strips are considered part of the track. So I took advantage of this. However any light touch of the dirt had disastrous effects. Huge time and speed loss.

By lap 6 I was battling for 3rd place and some 10+ seconds out of first place. I still had shades of green on my tires at the beginning of lap 9. Which is where I slipped by into 2nd place as the F686M started his pit cycle. One lap later and I finally slipped into the lead as the F094 began his pit cycle. Luckily I didn’t have to start mine until lap 15 (which equaled out to 1 pit stop). This was where the F094 blew by me, leaving me tasting second place until he pitted again on lap 18.

Once I settled in and started working towards clean smooth laps I kept even or gained time on the leader. When in the lead, I was able to increase the gap.

By lap 21 I was trailing the lap traffic. Which would later cause me some severe trouble. On lap 30 I was over eager to take the F68 down by a seoncd lap. He rode me into the first corner, sliding me off into the sand causing me to spin out. Luckily I was far enough into the lead that it didn’t endanger my win.

Results:
F094/S: + 28.289
F686/M: + 51.605
F687/S: + 1 lap
F090/S: + 1 lap
F688/S: + 1 lap

Total Time: 30’59.208
Average lap: 59.348
Best lap: 1’01.974

Seattle Circuit
There is nothing printable that I could write on this site to express my emotions on this track. Most of the race I was fighting for 5th place. It was only through pit strategy that I managed to get up to third place. The AI blasted away from me like I was towing a crate of bricks. I swear this track has less grip available than any other. On Midfield, the TCS constantly kept me in traction, yet here I could blip the throttle in 4th gear and spin the tires.

Results:
F094/S: 54’05.384
F090/S: + 34.476
Me: + 1’25.626
F686/M: + 1 lap
F687/S: + 1 lap
F688/S: + 1 lap

Total Time: 55’31.010
Average lap: 1’19.796
Best lap: 1’23.275

Next up: Grand Valley Raceway. Slated for this coming weekend.

AO

I'd like to hear from others that have attempt/won this series in a likewise manner. In an R390, Toyota Gt-one, 787B....

Thanks

AO

I think i could help you on your Seattle curse.;) If you're spinning the tires even when you blip the throttle; try increasing the rear LSD. Also try adjusting brake and turn in points. Maybe even get your wife to navigate you around the track. :lol:

Er, sorry for the supid post, but, you can run those three cars in the Formula Gt? Do you need to do anything special (game shark, shark port)?

Thanks.

No, you can run any race car, I believe. Pretty much, if you can't run it in th PD Cup, you can run it in the Formula GP.

Well, at this point, I'll have to admit defeat for the time being.

I jumped back on this yesterday to run Grand Valley. After the F094's first pitstop, I was 33 seconds behind in second place. In order to win, I need to obtain first place while he's in the pit.

Since this wasn't going to happen, I would fall further behind in the points lead. So, I'll have to practice more and when I'm better, I'll return to this.

AO

Sorry to hear it. What's next on the To Do list?

I believe Vat Man was working on this challenge as well. And if memory serves, he gave up about this point as well (:

Were you doing this as a series, or individual races?

ND: I've not picked out a new challenge from the To Do list as of yet. I've run enough series races for hte moment, and I think that I'll be heading over to the enduro section for the next step. This series was the last big ticket item on my "to do" list so, that will have to get revised in the near future. As it stands, I'm working with a really fast racer to compile his settings and add a section to deralta.net that showcases his talent.

LM: I was attempting this as a series race. I had run the math through a number of times as to what races I needed to win and where the AI would have to land. However, my math didn't coompensate for finishing third at Seattle. As a furhter note, I do have this saved on my third memory card, so I can always go back to it in a few more months.

Now if vat_man was attempting this and he gave up at the same point, I'm hapy to know that I'm garnering the same resutls as he is.

We'll see what the future holds.

AO

I'll give you a challenge then Der Alta.;) Try running the SS150 Enduro in a 330 HP Lancer Evolution VII RS. Only mods allowed are racing suspension, sport brakes, brake controller, and T2 tires.;) Should make for a very interesting 100 laps.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
I believe Vat Man was working on this challenge as well. And if memory serves, he gave up about this point as well (:

Were you doing this as a series, or individual races?

I didn't so much give up, as just 'not get around to it'. It's still sitting there, saved.

This might be the inspiration to pick it back up again.

Originally posted by neon_duke
No, you can run any race car, I believe. Pretty much, if you can't run it in th PD Cup, you can run it in the Formula GP.

cool, i'll do it in my fiat! :P

yeah seattle sux, i know.
we should start a seatle track hate club :P

I'd certainly be a member of the "Seattle Track hate club".

As for what's next on the docket, I just realized that I really had a blow out on Tokyo R246 Enduro. When I ran it in Big Blue, the results were less than close.
Results
Raybrig NSX: + 4 laps
Castrol Mugen NSX: + 4 laps
Denso Sard Supra: + 4 laps
Pennzoil Nismo: + 5 laps
Loctite Zexel: + 6 laps

Best lap: 1’32.797
Total Time: 161’40.496
Average lap: 1’37.005

These results were obtained with Stage 1 turbo, and T3 Tires. I'm figuring that I've really got to run this with out the Turbo to make it competitive.

Looks like I've got my next racing night planned.

AO

Hey DA, I too have attempted your quest to win the F1 race at Grand Valley in the R390, but I just couldn't do it. I think my biggest mistake was the fact that I didn't pit for tires, and the last few laps I dropped back from 2nd to 4th :mad: I'll have to try it again. This was even in my R390 hybrid, 1500 hp and 765 kg's, but it still wasn't fast enough :( I would brutilize them on the main straight, and the up hill Eau Rouge like S Turns, but then they would eat away at my lead, the only car I was having trouble with was the pesky F094/S.

Majarvis:
One thign that I was recenlty told, was the secret was T4 tires. With the T2 tires, they take much too long to heat up, and you sacrafice lap times. With T4's they heat up faster, which allows you to run more faster laps. While you may pit an extra time, the lap time difference makes up for it.

I've got a bit more experimnetation with this before I truly give up. As it stands, I did run teh Big Blue last night.

AO

I was fooling around with this last night - and ran about half of the superspeedway event, which I was leading comfortably.

Given wins at Midfield, Superspeedway and the Test Course, is a guaranteed 3 wins going to be enough of a platform to take the championship?

I might continue tinkering.

I've figured that those three are easy wins. Tracks where cornering and acceleration play big factors would be the tough wins. I'm thinking that Grand Valley could be a win as well as Tokyo R246. Which would leave me with skipping Cote d'Azur. I'd have to manage one other first place finish, and I could afford two second place finishes. I think, but haven't done the math.

AO

Der Alta,

I've been looking into this aswell. I find that the R390 is good at tracks with sharp corners and straights. The F1's are better at the stages with long corners where they can travel faster in like grand valley. Ive been trying laguna and i think that it will be winnable with the R390. Der Alta could i ask what settings your useing for the R390?

I don't recall what settings I'm running with at the moment. I'll look them up tonight and post them up on Monday.

I'm actually surprised that I didn't write them down beforehand as I usually do. I've got some free time this weekend, I'll have to give a few tracks a try.

AO

Back