Formula GT - lap times required

• Thread starter gumpy
  • 21 comments
This is not a writeup as such but I think it will help some people.

I will hopefully get my S license soon and have wondered what lap times I would need at each track in order to win the Formula GT series (F1 cars). I want to fine tune my setup now to get my lap times down.

I have converted some of the write ups I have seen into lap times as I need them to know what to aim for when setting up my car.

I have done some research and have concluded what is shown below.

I have based some of my info on a write up by Der Alta here

Here is an example:

Midfield - 30 laps - 0:58 - 4 stops

The track is Midfield which is a 30 lap race. If you do 58 second laps and stop for tyres 4 times you should win by a small margin. The lap time is for a full, flying lap. It is not an average time. So when setting up your car you need to aim for a 58 second flying lap and with a setup that can last for at least 6 laps before pitting.

If anyone who has actually done these races disagrees with this info please let me know.

Here they are:

Midfield - 30 laps - 0:58 - 4 stops (6 laps per window)
Seattle - 40 laps - 1:18 - 5 stops (7 laps per window)
GV Speedway - 27 laps - 1:30 - 5 stops (5 laps per window)
Super Speedway - 50 laps - 0:28 - 5 stops (9 laps per window)
Rome - 28 laps - 1:07 - 3 stops (7 laps per window)
Test Track - 25 laps - 1:43 - 2 stops (9 laps per window)
Laguna - 33 laps - 1:06 - 4 stops (7 laps per window)
Apricot Hill - 27 laps - 1:03 - 4 stops (6 laps per window)
R246 - 25 laps - 1:18 - 3 or 4 stops (5 laps per window)
Cote - 78 laps - 1:19 - 11 stops (7 laps per window)

Edit - added laps per window.

gumpy:

I think you're right on the money. I referenced back to my write-up I posted nearly a year ago. My times were slightly faster, but when comparing hte average lap and the fast lap, your times are very close. My pit stop strategy matched yours exactly (on my first running).

A few addditional notes I'll add. It is possible to do Super Speedway in 4 pit stops. I had to run the tires into the red to hit that, but with the right down force set-up you can run wide open until the tires shift from orange to red. You'll start to understeer at that point. On this course, the pit stop is so long, that eliminating one by running red tires makes up for it.

On my second running, I did Rome in 4 pit stops. The difference was that I had boosted my downforce to max to hold me tighter in the corners. This wore out my tires faster, but I was able to corner much quicker. the benefit was improved lap times.

The Test course race can be done with one pit stop on lap 13. Your tires are bright Red, but on this course grip doesn't matter. The biggest trick on this track, is on the first lap you have to run on the inside of the track. This enables you to outrun the AI. If you stick with the pack, they'll draft you and keep pace. When running hte inside, they draft each other, giving you a considerable lead. At that point, you can use pick the line you want.

For Cote d'Azur, you can run a 10 pit stop strategy. pit on your 8th lap, then every 7th lap after that. This was perhaps my favorite of all the races, even though half the field ended 4 laps down.

Great research gumpy. I wish I had that info last year.

AO

Hey, that's a great breakdown! Sounds very useful - now all I have to do is win an F1 car.

Is Jazza/Sand Storm also gumpy? I didn't know that...

I added the laps per window to the first post.

Midfield - 30 laps - 0:58 - 4 stops (6 laps per window)
Seattle - 40 laps - 1:18 - 5 stops (7 laps per window)
GV Speedway - 27 laps - 1:30 - 5 stops (5 laps per window)
Super Speedway - 50 laps - 0:28 - 5 stops (9 laps per window)
Rome - 28 laps - 1:07 - 3 stops (7 laps per window)
Test Track - 25 laps - 1:43 - 2 stops (9 laps per window)
Laguna - 33 laps - 1:06 - 4 stops (7 laps per window)
Apricot Hill - 27 laps - 1:03 - 4 stops (6 laps per window)
R246 - 25 laps - 1:18 - 3 or 4 stops (5 laps per window)
Cote - 78 laps - 1:19 - 11 stops (7 laps per window)

I am actually getting close to being able to run this. woohoo.

Times I know my new setup can do:

Midfield - 0:57 - 4 stops (6 laps per window)
Seattle - 40 laps - 1:16 - 5 stops (7 laps per window) (This is with my old setup - need to re run. Train Track concern but rest of lap I suspect 3 secs faster than this)
GV Speedway - 27 laps - 1:29 - 5 stops (5 laps per window)
Super Speedway - 50 laps - 0:26 - 5 stops (9 laps per window)
Rome - 28 laps - ??? - 3 stops (??) - been a while since taking F1 here)
Test Track - 25 laps - 1:40ish - 2 stops (25 laps per window)
Laguna - 33 laps - 1:06 - 4 stops (7 laps per window) (My best lap with my old setup was this
Apricot Hill - 27 laps - ??? - 4 stops (? laps per window)
R246 - 25 laps - 1:17 (???) - 3 or 4 stops (4-5 laps per window)
Cote - 78 laps - 1:19 - 11 stops (??? laps per window) Did qualifying run as a test last night and got 1:19 with first flying lap which was pole by over 4 seconds. Worried about tire wear here though.

I assume to ease up on the tires the aim is to try and keep the front/back balance but raise ride height, lower suspension settings and lower downforce settings.

My new setup has even front/back tire wear but this is by using up the front tires quicker than my old setup.

In my runs at this series, I ran the downforce at maximum. This may enhance tire wear, but it is a definite boost in cornering speeds. Exception to this was Test track.

From your notes above, it looks like you can win this easily. You seem worried for no reason. When comparing your results to mine, they are very close.

With your current set-up, I'd say jump on it.

Good luck

AO

I have done a few mini test runs and these are my conclusions all with max hp.

1. I can qualify on pole at all tracks I tried by 1-4 seconds.
2. I can keep in front when the race starts.
3. Slip ups are costly. I admit I did this late and was tired. I am still not totally used to my new setup. I am braking too early and turning too early and hitting the inside barriers too much.

I am going to pre race the last 2 races and see how I go.

I have a strategy that is bound to win you the car that you want. All you do is get a lead out in the series, make sure you have at least a 12 point advantage going into the last race, and save the game in the second to last race. If you have a big enough lead, you can skip the last race and go directly to the prize car. If you don't get the car you want, reload the game and repeat the above until you get the car you want.

That's only for people who aren't aiming for a good complete status percentage like me.

I have edited the required times to say that a 1:18 is required at R246. 1:20 or 1:19 is not enough to gain a lead that allows for 1 extra pitstop.

Back