Formula GT physics toned down X2010?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Samus
  • 3 comments
  • 1,918 views
Messages
24,669
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
When I first got the Formula GT I though the handling and physics were very odd, didn't feel like a single seater, open wheel car that I'd expect it to.

Then recently I got to level 30 and so tried the X2010 challenge. Spent a few hours trying all three tracks, then went back to the normal game and did the FGT Championship. It then dawned on me that the FGT felt pretty much identical to the X2010, but obviously much toned down in terms of speed and grip.

It became the most apparant on the last three races, which coincidentally were the same three as the X Challenge. The FGT felt very very similar, you can even do that same technique of braking to force a bit of oversteer, and overall it just felt like I was driving the X2010 just with less grip and speed. I know they're both similar sort of cars but they shouldn't really feel that similar due to completely different designs and ways of achieving downforce.

I'm not bashing PD for this, I guess it kinda makes sense since the FGT isn't real either, but I was just wondering if anyone else got this feeling?
 
When I first got the Formula GT I though the handling and physics were very odd, didn't feel like a single seater, open wheel car that I'd expect it to.

Then recently I got to level 30 and so tried the X2010 challenge. Spent a few hours trying all three tracks, then went back to the normal game and did the FGT Championship. It then dawned on me that the FGT felt pretty much identical to the X2010, but obviously much toned down in terms of speed and grip.

It became the most apparant on the last three races, which coincidentally were the same three as the X Challenge. The FGT felt very very similar, you can even do that same technique of braking to force a bit of oversteer, and overall it just felt like I was driving the X2010 just with less grip and speed. I know they're both similar sort of cars but they shouldn't really feel that similar due to completely different designs and ways of achieving downforce.

I'm not bashing PD for this, I guess it kinda makes sense since the FGT isn't real either, but I was just wondering if anyone else got this feeling?

I think they are very different in terms of handling. The Formula GT I find one of the worst cars to drive, and feels like it has a handling imbalance on the limit. I found this to be the case in GT4 too. The X2010 however feels very different and feels perfect in every way, and the physics are definately done right as if you go over kerbs, it loses downforce a lot like it should. The Formula GT is like your typical Formula car and was created from a similar project to the X2010. I think they however will make a new Formula GT, with concepts with help of Red Bull to make a better handling and faster open-wheeler car for the next Gran Turismo game.
 
GT5 supposedly uses one standard physics model and a cars stats are just applied to this model (power, weight, etc.). Since both cars have an MR engine layout with relatively large amounts of downforce I guess it would make some sense that the Formula GT's handling feels similar to the X2010's.
 
It's quite obvious that different levels of grip are just being implemented by a difference in a multiplyer rather than some magical technique.
 
Back