Formula GT race

  • Thread starter Thread starter xTHENICKSTERx
  • 22 comments
  • 4,075 views
Messages
59
Messages
xthenicksterx
so im having an awful time with the fgt races. i have tried rebuilding the engine and chassis, tuning the crap out of the car, messing with all the driving aids. I just cant beat this race. im not bad at this game or anything i just cant beat this stupid series and i would really like to finish this tier. could anyone give me some advice to beating this championship, a new tune maybe? is my car just bagged at 5000K? any advice would be great, thanks.
 
Firstly, don't waste money on engine or chassis rebuild, just do oil. Secondly, search these forums and you will find plenty of setup advice for the FGT, which is the most important aspect. Finally, practice and if you're still having trouble turn the racing line on
 
Find a tune, I used Jorday's in the tuning section. You have to find a line and then be consistent, not a whole lot of room for error.
 
I golded it first try last night (using G27). I agree it is one of the most difficult series in A Spec but not impossible. Very rewarding but totally exhausted and covered in sweat after 140 laps in the FGT!

Car setup is very important (as it is in real life F1!). Search for "Formula GT setup" on this forum and be prepared to battle for 3 hours (approx) to finish all races. Don't do it on a night when you're tired or tipsy, it requires huge amounts of concentration. One mistake and you end up losing my places (just like it is in f1!)

Some tips: I found that brake bias is paramountly important with FGTs, wrongly setup the car tends to get tail happy every single corner which can be taxing to drive 20 laps in. 3F 1R with ABS 1 is what I used most but the car is extremely powerful and twitchy in certain situations so you just have to be on your gaurd all the time. Very small room for error (just like it is in real f1!)

Set the suspension neutral front and back, the car is pretty balanced so no need to bias for understeer or oversteer, but here's one setup that I quickly searched for in case you're having trouble finding a setup:

downforce max/max
diff 15/20/15
ride height -5/0
spring rate 16.4/17.5
damper ext 6/8
damper comp 5/7
anti roll 5/7
camber -2.5/-1.5
toe -0.25/-0.15
trans 249 (or 400km/h)
brakes 4/1

I used max down force front and back for all races except Monza, but to be honest, even at Monza, max downforce would be OK.

Keep at it! Don't lose heart if you crash 2-3 times each race. I did this in nearly every race so effectively starting from 12th position, but so long as you have at least 5 laps left you can catch up and win. I did this 5 times!! very rewarding to catch and overtake with cars evenly matched. Many times I imagined I was Bob, decrease pace and take it easy so as not to make a mistake, increase pace to catch up and overtake lol

Best/Most challenging GT5 experience to date!
 
I golded it first try last night (using G27). I agree it is one of the most difficult series in A Spec but not impossible. Very rewarding but totally exhausted and covered in sweat after 140 laps in the FGT!

Car setup is very important (as it is in real life F1!). Search for "Formula GT setup" on this forum and be prepared to battle for 3 hours (approx) to finish all races. Don't do it on a night when you're tired or tipsy, it requires huge amounts of concentration. One mistake and you end up losing my places (just like it is in f1!)

Some tips: I found that brake bias is paramountly important with FGTs, wrongly setup the car tends to get tail happy every single corner which can be taxing to drive 20 laps in. 3F 1R with ABS 1 is what I used most but the car is extremely powerful and twitchy in certain situations so you just have to be on your gaurd all the time. Very small room for error (just like it is in real f1!)

Set the suspension neutral front and back, the car is pretty balanced so no need to bias for understeer or oversteer, but here's one setup that I quickly searched for in case you're having trouble finding a setup:

downforce max/max
diff 15/20/15
ride height -5/0
spring rate 16.4/17.5
damper ext 6/8
damper comp 5/7
anti roll 5/7
camber -2.5/-1.5
toe -0.25/-0.15
trans 249 (or 400km/h)
brakes 4/1

I used max down force front and back for all races except Monza, but to be honest, even at Monza, max downforce would be OK.

Keep at it! Don't lose heart if you crash 2-3 times each race. I did this in nearly every race so effectively starting from 12th position, but so long as you have at least 5 laps left you can catch up and win. I did this 5 times!! very rewarding to catch and overtake with cars evenly matched. Many times I imagined I was Bob, decrease pace and take it easy so as not to make a mistake, increase pace to catch up and overtake lol

Best/Most challenging GT5 experience to date!

this setup worked incredibly. car handles perfect had no problem except for 1 race which i finished 4th. thanks so much for the advice, it is really appreciated
 
Ignore the driving line if your using it.... Watch the lines the AI take and use those, much more efficient i found. Especially on Fuji.
 
What aids are people using with the FGT?
I noticed that it was much easier to drive and pull away with skid recovery force on but I refuse to use it so I quit out of that cause it was too easy.
 
i used TC at 4 and abs at 1 and thats all. car handles great with the setup above. had the line on for cote d'azure and indy road course as im not very familiar with the 2, just used it for braking guide though, never actually follow the line.
 
are you using a ds3 or a wheel? might help as to what advise you need. if so what wheel? i ran 2 force feedback on my g27 and 0 aids except 1 ABS (even in the wet) and had no problem winning them all but one (it showed me a wet race put wets on it started dry......i had to pit and only managed to get back to second, before it then started raining and i just got angry and spun:guilty:)
i found the gear ratio's was all that needed to be changed i started with just a oil change and 935 bhp at the start by the time i completed it my car was putting out around 940 bhp which is gonna help bob 👍

the first 3 or 4 dry races are a must win as for monza thats not too bad, suzuka was my trickiest by far just try and stay calm atleast in the wet.


EDIT: i actually found the nascar to be my most challenging not FGT it really isnt that bad if you just stay calm and dont crash.
 
Cheat by cutting corners like crazy. Pretty much every track has a part where you can gain a lot of time by cutting corners. For example on Indianapolis you can cut first corner far to the right of those tires at the apex.
 
EDIT: i actually found the nascar to be my most challenging not FGT it really isnt that bad if you just stay calm and dont crash.

Strange I found nascar to be very easy and unremarkable. I think maybe it's due to the sheer number of laps in the FGT championship. Just requires concentration for a very long period?

NASCAR for me was simple, get ahead, stay ahead, 7 laps and it's over. FGT, get ahead (after 3 laps) stay ahead for 17 laps (!!!) get over exhaustion, rinse, repeat 6 more times!
 
I would also recommend that you be patient and play the long game through the race. Remember it is 20 laps. what tends to pay off the most is consistency, looking to make those split second improvements as you go, finely tuning your driving. I find this way the opportunity will come to overtake. Also be very careful to protect your car particularly the front spoiler during the race start as this can easily be knocked out of position and this can seriously affect your lap times.
I have to agree with what is being said here about it being very true to how
F1 works. This is not a bump and grind race as one slip and you’re out and when it’s lap 18 it is so, so painful
 
Also be very careful to protect your car particularly the front spoiler during the race start as this can easily be knocked out of position and this can seriously affect your lap times.

There are no mechanical damage in A-spec.. Unless i have missed something.
 
There are no mechanical damage in A-spec.. Unless i have missed something.
Try it. Take a Formula GT car out in a race and wack the front then look at it on the replay and you will see the front spoiler is knocked out of alignment and again I'm faily certain from experience this loses you front end grip.
 
Success also deeply depends on using a steering wheel or just a DS3...

I usually don't want to use any aids except putting the ABS to 1. Haven't bought a steering wheel yet so I have to stick to my DS3 Controller. Have just been driving the FGT Championship at a freind's place and using his G25. The difference is so huge!!! Much easier to dirve close to the limit and to correct drift as soon as it starts!!! We won the FGT Championship in the first try easily while back home with my DS3 it's been too difficult until now...
 
so im having an awful time with the fgt races. i have tried rebuilding the engine and chassis, tuning the crap out of the car, messing with all the driving aids. I just cant beat this race. im not bad at this game or anything i just cant beat this stupid series and i would really like to finish this tier. could anyone give me some advice to beating this championship, a new tune maybe? is my car just bagged at 5000K? any advice would be great, thanks.

The tune on the FGT makes a huge difference. Though you said you tried tuning it, try using some of the tunes on the forum. I used them, and found the car incredibly easy to win with. The FGT series suffers from the rubberband effect terribly, so if you are last with 5 or 8 laps to go in a race, don't feel bad. I found that the results were identical whether I doddled around for the first half of the race, or pushed really hard every lap, posting very consistent times. I even had one race where I purposely nudged cars off the track everywhere, ended up 20 seconds behind with 7 laps to go, and came back and won easily.

Try it. Take a Formula GT car out in a race and wack the front then look at it on the replay and you will see the front spoiler is knocked out of alignment and again I'm faily certain from experience this loses you front end grip.

That's only cosmetic damage. There is no mechanical damage that comes along with this. A-Spec has no mechanical damage whatsoever.
 
This is an interesting point about the Aero and damage that I would like to confirm either way. In addition to this happening on the FGT level I have seen it on the NASCAR level as well when another car completely distorted by rear spoiler. In adition to this I note that during the A-Spec Endurance race tyre do indeed wear down so I think to say there is no mechanical damage in A-Spec is not quite right. However I would like this to be confirmed.
 
Max downforce and soft slicks are the main thing.
 
This is an interesting point about the Aero and damage that I would like to confirm either way. In addition to this happening on the FGT level I have seen it on the NASCAR level as well when another car completely distorted by rear spoiler. In adition to this I note that during the A-Spec Endurance race tyre do indeed wear down so I think to say there is no mechanical damage in A-Spec is not quite right. However I would like this to be confirmed.

I can confirm it for you: there is no mechanical damage in A-spec, only tire wear and cosmetic damage.
I can achieve the same laptimes with a damaged FGT with no changes in handling. Certainly not the kind of change you would feel from a damaged front wing (usually excessive understeer).
 
I can confirm it for you: there is no mechanical damage in A-spec, only tire wear and cosmetic damage.
I can achieve the same laptimes with a damaged FGT with no changes in handling. Certainly not the kind of change you would feel from a damaged front wing (usually excessive understeer).

Thanks 👍
 
I did the series the other night, didn't bother changing any settings on the car, used DS3 as i always do, golded the first 2 races, came 3rd on Cote D'Azur that was actually a tough one... golded the next 2, was starting to make a lot of mistakes by then though, was lucky to get gold... have to admit i quit on Suzuka though, that was a bitch!!! + no concentration... just wasn't happening lol

Won the series though, just need to go back and gold Cote D'Azur and Suzuka!

Anyone know if the X2010 is similar in handling to the FGT? as i don't find the FGT that hard to handle with the DS3 :)

**Im actually finding the last NASCAR race the hardest so far... really struggling with that one at the mo!
 
Just buy the racing soft tires after the oil change. Makes a big difference to the cars performance. But if you want a challenge then :sly:
 
Back