Forza Horizon 5 is borderline unplayable at this point.

United States
Oregon, USA
KnightOfRen5563
This game crashes multiple times a day. And after the first crash, two consecutive crashes 1 minute after the game goes through its 15 minute loading cycle. It's impossible to play this game on an Xbox One. I've had occasional issues with crashing since launch but in the past few months, it's been almost unplayable. It takes absolutely nothing to crash this game. Rewind? Crash. Upgrade your car? Crash. Load an Eventlab? Instant crash.

And before all you people say it's because I'm on an Xbox One, it's still BS. Playground released the game on this platform, it should be playable...

This franchise has been a big part of my life since 2016, but I'm starting to lose hope. With lazy update after lazy update, bugs that have been there since launch, and an unstable mess of a game overall, I'm losing confidence in PG's ability to make a strong game.

If you haven't done these yet, I would suggest the following:

1) Make sure that your XB1 has the latest update installed. Based on a very quick Google search, it seems some people had constant crashes similar to yours, and they were fixed by applying the latest (at the time) console update.

2) If that doesn't work, power cycle the console, either by pressing and holding the power button until the system shuts down, and/or removing the power cord for 30 seconds when the system is off. This clears the cache of the system, so that might help.

3) If a power cycle doesn't work, uninstall and re-install the game. There might be some corrupted data somewhere, and that could be causing an issue. I had a similar problem at one point with FH4 crashing frequently, and a fresh re-install pretty much solved that issue.

4) Finally, you can try to do a full reset of the console. Very much the nuclear option, and I'd only suggest this if all other options are exhausted, including ones outside of my own suggestions.

Otherwise, the only other thing that might be causing these crashes would be something with the system itself. Your internal hard drive might be having issues, especially if it legit takes 15 minutes for the game to load from the start screen. If your internal memory is full or near-full, that can also cause the console to behave poorly. If that's the case, I suggest possibly removing some things and/or getting a portable hard drive. Personally speaking, I've played the game from launch until about a month ago on a One X (recently upgraded to the Series X), and while I did have a crash every now-and-again, it certainly was not to the extent that you've described.

Hopefully you can find some kind of fix sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like the problem is on your end. I have the game installed on both my Series X and Xbone and it works just fine. It's slow to load on the One obviously when compared to the Series X, roughly 3-4 minutes from dashboard to menu, but it's definitely playable.

3) If a power cycle doesn't work, uninstall and re-install the game. There might be some corrupted data somewhere, and that could be causing an issue. I had a similar problem at one point with FH4 crashing frequently, and a fresh re-install pretty much solved that issue.
Does uninstalling the game delete your save? That's what I've always thought.

My console seems to update itself whenever there's something new, regarding option #1

Does uninstalling the game delete your save? That's what I've always thought.

My console seems to update itself whenever there's something new, regarding option #1
Nope, your save game is in a different folder. If you press the button to Manage Forza Horizon 5, there'll be a separate box called "Saved data," which is where your save game is located. Deleting the game itself doesn't delete the save data.

Regardless, I'd check to see if there is a console update available. Sometimes the system won't always update right away even when there's a new update waiting to be installed.

Nope, your save game is in a different folder. If you press the button to Manage Forza Horizon 5, there'll be a separate box called "Saved data," which is where your save game is located. Deleting the game itself doesn't delete the save data.

Regardless, I'd check to see if there is a console update available. Sometimes the system won't always update right away even when there's a new update waiting to be installed.
I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Your save is stored on the cloud anyway: I own the digital version of each recent Forza (i.e. bought from the Windows/Xbox store) and it allows cross play between my Xbox and PC, which I do regularly. When I switch devices all it takes is 10-30 seconds to download my latest save from Microsoft's servers and I'm continuing from where I left off on the other device.

So yeah, you can wipe and reinstall Forza on whichever device you like and your save will simply follow you there.

Last edited:
Back