Forza horizon demo physics

• Thread starter 11riku99
  • 22 comments
Is it just me or has turn ten dropped the old physics

When I run into a wall why do I bounce and not stop other cars on the road seem to have the same mass as a feather and can be pushed at will by the tiny Mitsubishi

And about the controls why isn't there a setting for "X" as hand brake that's what I've used in ever racing game I've ever played and adjusting away from that and to the default forza controls is one of the hardest things I've ever done and the resetting you instead of allowing you to flip yourself over? I'm perfectly capable of pushing the gas down and rolling over

And the car list I can understand cutting a few out tht aren't street legal but only 153 there are over 400 in forza 3 and 4

the only things I can giv the game is I like the racing style like the race against the airplane and the ability to challenge myfriends time easier than in four this one seems to be more multiplayer based

Is it just me or has turn ten dropped the old physics

When I run into a wall why do I bounce and not stop other cars on the road seem to have the same mass as a feather and can be pushed at will by the tiny Mitsubishi
Crashes have been toned down, yes. Wouldn't be that great to drive around somewhere in the middle of nowhere and get stuck because you've crashed.

And about the controls why isn't there a setting for "X" as hand brake that's what I've used in ever racing game I've ever played and adjusting away from that and to the default forza controls is one of the hardest things I've ever done
Because it's a demo. In case you didn't play it, the FM4 demo didn't include every control layout, either.
and the resetting you instead of allowing you to flip yourself over? I'm perfectly capable of pushing the gas down and rolling over
Prressing guess to get on your wheels again didn't work with simulation damage, anyways.
And the car list I can understand cutting a few out tht aren't street legal but only 153 there are over 400 in forza 3 and 4
Open world game. One DVD. What does that tell us?

After spending a good 2 hours with the demo last night, I'm not overly impressed with the physics tweaks. Without assists it's just so easy to fly round corners in the Viper without even breaking. I was going to get LCE edition but I think I'll just buy the normal edition because I don't see myself putting much time into horizon TBH.

Anyone try it with a wheel? Curious how it feels. ill be able to try the demo next week (assuming it will be free to silver customers)

Yeah tried it with my gt2 and the rally physics felt brilliant, I will be doing a lot of offloading :) the road physics while not quite at forza 4 levels are still a million miles ahead of any other open world racer out there.

Playing it with a GT2 wheel, I had a lot of fun with it. No, its not as good a s FM4 physics wise, but its still damn good for this type of game. With all assists off, and using a wheel, its still challenging, especially on roads with undulations. Turn assists off, including brake line, and hud, and do the viper race with AI on hardest or second hardest setting, and race like you would in real life, without hitting ANYTHING, and tell me how easy it is.

I agree with just about everything here, physics have been toned down a little too much. However, it does feel good with the CSRE.

I'm very happy with the changes made to the physics. They've certainly been toned down, but given that Horizon is not a simulator I think Playground struck a good balance (then again, I was not a fan of FM4's physics, so take from that what you will). It's definitely easier to kick the back out and hold a long drift, you can take corners with greater confidence. At the same time, the game puts a realistic emphasis on getting your braking points right, which is nice. Rallying is brilliant though, going off-road with the Lancer I got the sense that all that ex-Codemasters talent did not go to waste.

I found that the off-road physics were much better than on-road. And I know it's not a simulation to the levels of Forza 4, but crashing into a bus feels the same as crashing into any of the other traffic cars, which seems kind of lazy to me.

Off road was indeed good. I especially liked the realistic sound of the tires going over the dirt/pebbles, I think they nailed it.

The scenery looks very nice, including the snow covered peaks in the distance I was desperately trying to get to. Has anyone discovered snow driving in the demo, or is it available with the full release?

Yeah tried it with my gt2 and the rally physics felt brilliant, I will be doing a lot of offloading :) the road physics while not quite at forza 4 levels are still a million miles ahead of any other open world racer out there.

Pretty much this. 900° feels quite good out the box this time around.

Playing it with a GT2 wheel, I had a lot of fun with it. No, its not as good a s FM4 physics wise, but its still damn good for this type of game. With all assists off, and using a wheel, its still challenging, especially on roads with undulations. Turn assists off, including brake line, and hud, and do the viper race with AI on hardest or second hardest setting, and race like you would in real life, without hitting ANYTHING, and tell me how easy it is.

Sounds like I'm not the only one being thrown off the road in the corvette after hitting some of the bumps wrong while not fully concentrating/reacting quick enough :lol:

I was about five seconds off my fastest controller time in the mustang after my second try with the wheel, I should be able to make up the difference with a few more goes considering I knocked nearly 10 seconds off the 1st controller run to get that time. That's with semi-auto vs button clutch too.

It's challenging on the hardest setting for sure. 270° might make it easier, but 900° feels so right I haven't tried any other rotation yet.

Definitely forza under the hood, but you can feel the tweaks made, I think the gamepad tweaking is far more extensive than the tweaking they did for the wheel, which is good for us wheel-guys that wanted Forza Horizon if you get what I mean.

I think it's all to easy to drive recklessly rather than drive sensibly. The difference is, drive recklessly in Horizon and it won't totally ruin you, whereas in FM it will. Drive sensibly in Horizon and to me it doesn't feel too different. Neither the Evo or the Viper are overly challenging in FM4, so I wouldn't like to base a final decision off of these two cars. Need to try something tricky in FM4 and see how it stacks up in Horizon.

One thing I do like is the Evo easily falls off boost and bogs down. I also like how you can hear the tyres gaining traction. Pretty authentic for a game some have dismissed as NFS-esque. The free roam car should have been an older RWD car, so you'd have to show some finesse.

Those who play with all assists off on a controller need to be aware of this: the Simulation Steering setting appears to be for wheels only. Being a Forza 4 addict for a few months now, I naturally set the steering to Simulation but the cars handled in an incredibly dumbed-down, arcadey way. After two days thinking Dan Greenawalt and Ralph Fulton were snake-oil salesmen, I found a post on the official forums suggesting that controller players needed to set the steering to normal. Changed the driving feeling dramatically.

I tried the 3 cars available in the demo in the most similar driving environments I could find in Forza 4: through traffic on the Fujimi Kaido and Nurburgring road courses. Stock, all assists off. They handled very similar to the Horizon model. The Forza 4 magic is present in Horizon, no doubt about it. The handling might be slightly more forgiving, but it's not that obvious. When comparing apples to apples the difference is minimal.

Simulation steering was perfectly playable and enjoyable on the default 360 controller.

As for the demo physics, I was disappointed. It feels like a dumbed down Forza 4. It's still enjoyable as even a dumbed down Forza 4 engine is vastly superior to most physics engines found usually in arcade games. Still, I was expecting a little bit more after so much "Forza DNA" talk.

At least the game's driving seems to be very enjoyable, with a pad or with a wheel, which is all that matters in the end. It's just very annoying to be lied to (yeah I know we should be used to, but it's still a nuisance).

Well, technically speaking, we've never been lied to. We always knew that the engine was undergoing some sort of tweaking... I, and assume many others as well, read too much into that, I suppose.

PR talk at its best, that's what it is :indiff:

Yeah, I know it's all PR talk. It's just annoying when they speak of "Forza's authenticity" and stuff like that when what we have in the end is what seems to be a really simplified physics model (from the demo's impressions with a wheel).

It's not bad, and it somewhat "feels like Forza", as it's very playable while being reasonably believable. It just doesn't retain what I like in Forza, the feeling of "precision", "incisiveness" in the way the car behaves. Horizon feels very floaty, not necessarily in a bad way for what it is (arcadish open road car game), just way too permissive.

Edit : To quote a friend of mine, Forza 4 gameplay is "sugar". It feels extremely comfortable even if it can be very challenging. And Forza Horizon gameplay feels the same way, it's "sugar". It just doesn't feel challenging at all.

I wasn't too impressed with the physics. However, it's not as bad as I thought it might be. I think a big problem is that the roads are pretty repetitive. Everything I experienced in the demo is just a series of very similar high speed sweepers. The rest of the map looks basically identical as well. The roads are consistently very wide and very fast, which I think exacerbates the feeling of the simplified physics. Basically, braking is not required very often, and there are no corners nor series of corners (that I've found) that really test the dynamics of the cars. The dirt sections mix it up a little bit, but it didn't feel appreciably different than driving on tarmac.

Aside from that, the game is decently fun, though I can't really see myself buying it. The drivable section of the demo feels 'small' and it's already a pretty healthy percentage of the entire map. I found myself getting bored after only about 10 minutes. I've never really been satisfied with an open world driving game...I think it's a pipe dream that just doesn't work, unless the game includes more than just driving (like GTA).

I don't get all of the disappointment in the demo. This is exactly like FM4 with a different grip profile (actually 65 of them, right?). All three cars -- Evo, Mustang, and Viper -- behave precisely the way I would expect them to behave in FM4. Only the available grip is different.

Weight shifting and load on the tires, power oversteer, tank slappers, longer braking distances, "no ABS" option, clutch simulation...it's all there. And I think the available grip can be compared to race/rally tires. Maybe there are lesser tires in the full game.

Collisions are a different matter and I think the crash dynamics are well suited for a game like this.

am i the only one that thinks the physics are better....more real then forza 4?
I think that's stretching it quite a bit... But it might feel more familiar, since you're not driving at a 10/10 pace all the time in Horizon, on public roads, no less. I suppose that that's going to feel more familiar if you're used to "normal" driving IRL.

ive got a 350hp atw civic in realy life, with a 5 puk brass button clutch as a daily. "normal" driving isn't really my thing. i was more meaning compared to forza 4. i found the way the tyres reacted to some situations in forza 4 absolutely horrible and unatural. it's hard to explain, but horizon feel's alot more natural, and like the tyres are actually holding the car to the road.

I think the tyres sound effects were overdone on purpose in previous forza games. In sim-based games you need as many visual/audio cues as possible to make up for the ones you would experience in the real world, what's going on with grip is very important, and as you can't feel it through your ass playing, hearing is the next best thing.

I think it does sound slightly more realistic in Horizon, but that extra missing feedback may be I keep ploughing straight on in the corvette at "that" hairpin and feel not so confident with the Horizon braking. The Lead sound engineer - Nick Wiswell - is very competent and knows how vital this stuff is, can't wait to hear what he has in store for FM5 and/or Next Gen.

Back